The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

M-3200-EPAS steering rack-Wow!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Finished up the install of the Ford Racing EPAS rack and test drove it and all I can say is wow. I am guessing this is maybe what Sport mode is on the 12-14 cars but the feel is fantastic. Effort is linear so heavy at parking speeds but perfect at road speed. Feel is in a whole new dimension, I thought the original rack was OK but this feels like a Porsche 911, I can really feel what the front tires are doing.

Installation is a 7 out of 10 hardness scale, you need to lift the engineand have a 3/8" flex head ratchet to get at the bolts. Getting them out is hard because the old locktite fights you all they way, I was able to get my 3/8" drive air ratchet on them but it couldn't overcome the resistance of the locktite. Bolts once cleaned and with fresh locktite on them ran right back down. An alignment is a must but I do my own so no problem there. Next week we are at the SVT Superfest so I will be able to report on the EPAS shake issue I was having, I am sure this rack will cure that and how it affects my performance on track.

I hope Mark Wilson can chime in and describe exactly what was programmed in or out of the system. So far big thumbs up from me. ;D
Steve

I hope that solves your problem. On the Boss the sport mode makes the steering heavier but doesn't add any feel, at least to me. Definitely not 911 like from my experience mainly from the lack of feedback. Don't get me wrong I'm not complaining as the steering in the Boss is much better than I expected I'd just like a bit more feedback through the wheel and it sounds like the new steering rack adds that. Have fun next weekend.

steveespo

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Thanks Rick.
When I say 911 like, I mean you know how you feel the center of the tire touching the road, and how you feel the contact point move across the tire when you load it in a corner? That's what this feels like. Really night and day kinda thing. Hope it translates to the track.
Steve

Dig-It

Kevin
VA
zzyzx said:
So how much and where to buy?

Sounds like a have-to upgrade to me! :)
You shouldn't need it since the BOSS you have already has an upgraded steering rack/software. EPAS shake has been reported on Mustang GTs with aftermarket front LCAs. I haven't heard of any 302s that have had it. I have Kenny Brown's front LCAs on my BOSS and I've tried to induce the shake but haven't experienced it yet (knocks on wood).

Sorry for the hijack Steve. I look forward to meeting you in person next weekend.

Kevin

steveespo

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
No problem Dig It.
Ive been around so long that I forget that some members don't know that I am the King of the clones. For all that don't know my car is a 2011 Brembo GT converted to Boss spec and then beyond.
I have the Steeda SLA control arms with extended ball joints and urethane bushings. Also bumpsteer and urethane engine mounts. My second outing with this combo I experienced steering wheel shake that could not be traced back to wheels, tires, brakes or loose fittings. The symptoms were exactly as described by others who have modded S197 platforms with stiffer bushings up front. A rhythmic shake of the steering wheel under high speed high g loading. Really weird and not confidence inspiring.

If you are happy and don't have these symptoms there are better ways to spend $1000 and a Saturday. If you do have them the stay tuned until Memorial Day as I will report my experiences during three days at VIR. Enough high speed high g there to cover any condition.
Steve

steveespo said:
No problem Dig It.
Ive been around so long that I forget that some members don't know that I am the King of the clones. For all that don't know my car is a 2011 Brembo GT converted to Boss spec and then beyond.

Steve

Ha, I had no idea. You put a Roadrunner int here as well?

steveespo

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
askjeffro said:
Ha, I had no idea. You put a Roadrunner int here as well?
No stock long block with Boss intake and other mods, 433/383 at the tires.
If you look at my fenders I have a decal of the Coyote chasing the RoadRunner, a little poke at the Ford team who I couldn't convince to build the Boss with the electronics package. Jokes on me because now I don't even drive the car places I carry it on the trailer!
Steve

Steve this should fix your problem. In talking with Terry Fair (Vorshlag) he was having the same problem after upgrading the front suspension of his 2011 GT/Brembo. After working with Ford and Ford Racing this is what Ford Racing recommended as well. So far after numerous track events he has reported no problems.

steveespo

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
HackBoss302 said:
Steve this should fix your problem. In talking with Terry Fair (Vorshlag) he was having the same problem after upgrading the front suspension of his 2011 GT/Brembo. After working with Ford and Ford Racing this is what Ford Racing recommended as well. So far after numerous track events he has reported no problems.

Thanks, yes Terry's video showed exactly what my steering wheel was doing. I knew this problem was possible when changing the control arms but I had no problem on the street or during my first track day this season. Second day it was warmer and boom the wheel started shaking.
Steve

steveespo

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
The rack castings are slightly different and the engineering part numbers are updated but I don't think there are any major hardware changes. I think its a stripped direct function program that gives a more direct mechanical feel and feedback. I was hoping Mark has a chance to chime in and explain what is different. I really love the feel and hope my shake issue is behind me.
Steve

steveespo

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
ArizonaGT said:
Wow Steve, I totally forgot your car is a GT!! Ok, looks like I am still doing front LCAs in that case!!

Definitely go for the front LCA change with raised ball joint if you are lowered. My front end has almost all the old mush taken out of it and feels much more planted. Hopefully Boss cars don't have an issue with the stiffer bushings like my '11 car did. BTW the shake was on track only, on the street it never was evident.
Steve

The steeda arm with the balljoints and bushings is a great option. I wish that was around when I was figuring out how to rip out my stock balljoint and put the X11 in. The biggest perk seems to be the stiffer bushings. I wish we had a solid answer as to what will cause steering shudder issues and how it can be fixed (without reverting to stock bushings)

steveespo said:
Finished up the install of the Ford Racing EPAS rack and test drove it and all I can say is wow. I am guessing this is maybe what Sport mode is on the 12-14 cars but the feel is fantastic. Effort is linear so heavy at parking speeds but perfect at road speed. Feel is in a whole new dimension, I thought the original rack was OK but this feels like a Porsche 911, I can really feel what the front tires are doing.

Installation is a 7 out of 10 hardness scale, you need to lift the engineand have a 3/8" flex head ratchet to get at the bolts. Getting them out is hard because the old locktite fights you all they way, I was able to get my 3/8" drive air ratchet on them but it couldn't overcome the resistance of the locktite. Bolts once cleaned and with fresh locktite on them ran right back down. An alignment is a must but I do my own so no problem there. Next week we are at the SVT Superfest so I will be able to report on the EPAS shake issue I was having, I am sure this rack will cure that and how it affects my performance on track.

I hope Mark Wilson can chime in and describe exactly what was programmed in or out of the system. So far big thumbs up from me. ;D
Steve

steve,

can you share your experiences/findings/results here?:

http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=64852

some of us GT owners are royally screwed and need to know there is a fix...

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
There's definitely some interesting stuff with the casting, looks like a different pressed in bushing than my stocker, and the part of the housing near the shaft connection has a lot of grinding on it.

Trying very hard to wait till the weekend to install. Should give in before Thursday I imagine:

1237908_10151858542621217_1932549952_n.jpg

Shown with Steeda bumpsteer kit

TMO Supporting Vendors