The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

M-5300-BR Springs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I hope to find out next weekend and will post if I get a release date.

Just ordered a FRPP brake duct kit from Tousley Ford, and while on the phone I also asked about the availability status of Boss-specific lowering springs. Steve, who is Tousley's very knowledgable and helpful FRPP "guru" (and a heckuva nice guy), called Ford Racing and was told they were working on the springs as well as a "complete suspension" for the Boss 302, but (predictably) given no time estimate for release. So, the wait continues...

dabossinne said:
Just ordered a FRPP brake duct kit from Tousley Ford, and while on the phone I also asked about the availability status of Boss-specific lowering springs. Steve, who is Tousley's very knowledgable and helpful FRPP "guru" (and a heckuva nice guy), called Ford Racing and was told they were working on the springs as well as a "complete suspension" for the Boss 302, but (predictably) given no time estimate for release. So, the wait continues...
Looks like the "P" springs are it for me then. I can't keep waiting. Thanks for the update.

dabossinne said:
I confirmed the same thing in the suspension thread and FR recommends the P springs for now. No ETA on the springs other than they are still alive. ;)

Steeda makes Boss specific springs. I saw a Boss with them. The stance was nice. It was level and not slammed down to the ground. I didn't get to drive in it, but the owner claimed the ride comfort quality was the same. Since Steeda is in my back yard I really thinking about getting Steeda springs instead of waiting on Ford. Any thoughts?

seca954 said:
Steeda makes Boss specific springs. I saw a Boss with them. The stance was nice. It was level and not slammed down to the ground. I didn't get to drive in it, but the owner claimed the ride comfort quality was the same. Since Steeda is in my back yard I really thinking about getting Steeda springs instead of waiting on Ford. Any thoughts?
My buddy had the Steeda Boss springs and didn't like them as much as his Steeda Sports so he put the sports back on.

I bought the Steeda Boss springs but only installed the rears, the advertised spring rate is almost the same as stock, but with the lowered ride height. Looks better for the street, but I have not tracked the car with them, for this I reinstalled the stock springs. I felt it was better to stick with the stock ride height roll center and not be loading up the bump stops cornering, to where the back states to kick out suddenly. If anyone has tracked their car with these springs, please post your comments. The street ride might be a little choppier, so it just might be coming down on the bump stops more, nothing objectionable. The fronts are higher rate than stock, I was not looking for a lower ride height and the higher rate just promotes more understeer, also not easy to swap out. No data though to compare. I like my cars set up on the loose side , so I also run the LS rear sway bar. Everything is well planted but I'm also using the 10" wide LS rims on the back.

Rickshaw said:
I bought the Steeda Boss springs but only installed the rears, the advertised spring rate is almost the same as stock, but with the lowered ride height. Looks better for the street, but I have not tracked the car with them, for this I reinstalled the stock springs. I felt it was better to stick with the stock ride height roll center and not be loading up the bump stops cornering, to where the back states to kick out suddenly. If anyone has tracked their car with these springs, please post your comments. The street ride might be a little choppier, so it just might be coming down on the bump stops more, nothing objectionable. The fronts are higher rate than stock, I was not looking for a lower ride height and the higher rate just promotes more understeer, also not easy to swap out. No data though to compare. I like my cars set up on the loose side , so I also run the LS rear sway bar. Everything is well planted but I'm also using the 10" wide LS rims on the back.
Rick, Welcome to BMO. You'll find a lot of info on springs in the link below. Several of us are using the Ford Racing P springs with similar results.

https://trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=2041.0

Rickshaw said:
I bought the Steeda Boss springs but only installed the rears, the advertised spring rate is almost the same as stock, but with the lowered ride height. Looks better for the street, but I have not tracked the car with them, for this I reinstalled the stock springs. I felt it was better to stick with the stock ride height roll center and not be loading up the bump stops cornering, to where the back states to kick out suddenly.

I installed all 4 Steeda Boss Springs springs. I think they are very similiar to the 5300-P(stance is exactly the same) except I believe they were more linear on the rates. Don't be too worried on the front springs as they say lowered for the GT but my experience on the Boss was that the fronts were EXACTLY the same ride height and the rears lowered EXACTLY 1". I did use the FR bump stops but they appeared to be exactly the same height and compression as the Stock Boss but I replaced them anyway. I Virtually only track the car but on the street I run the dampers on 1 or 2 and cannot tell any difference from stock ride quality. The oversteer was about the same as stock springs but I reduced that with running a slightly softer damper settings on rear than the front and lowered the rear roll center even more with my Wattslink. It is pretty neutral balance now for me. All this is assuming you keep the staggered tires setup.

motoviper said:
I installed all 4 Steeda Boss Springs springs. I think they are very similiar to the 5300-P(stance is exactly the same) except I believe they were more linear on the rates. Don't be too worried on the front springs as they say lowered for the GT but my experience on the Boss was that the fronts were EXACTLY the same ride height and the rears lowered EXACTLY 1". I did use the FR bump stops but they appeared to be exactly the same height and compression as the Stock Boss but I replaced them anyway. I Virtually only track the car but on the street I run the dampers on 1 or 2 and cannot tell any difference from stock ride quality. The oversteer was about the same as stock springs but I reduced that with running a slightly softer damper settings on rear than the front and lowered the rear roll center even more with my Wattslink. It is pretty neutral balance now for me. All this is assuming you keep the staggered tires setup.

Thanks for that great info.

Rickshaw said:

I purchased the Steeda Boss springs as well. I also only installed the rears only as I wanted to lower the rear without killing the ride. I tracked the Boss twice with the Steeda rear springs and the car is still neutral. I also trimmed the rear bumpstops 3/4 inch. With these two changes, I like the handling and most important the street ride is on par with stock. I drive a 1k a month so ride quality is important. If you are attempting to be a track king there are far better setups, but for street and track duty, I would recommend this setup with no question. I posted on the forum about this setup awhile back. I'll see if I can locate that post as well.

Edit: https://trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=3456.0

I'm pretty sure that the Eibach Pros are the same as the FRPP-badged 'P' springs (Eibach makes them for Ford), which I am running on my '13 LS. I know there is a thread somewhere with the rates compared between several brands of springs. In terms of feel, the P springs are slightly firmer than OE, although not nearly as firm as the Steeda Ultralites I had on my '12 Boss (which were still pretty tolerable on the street).

I think that if I had to do it all over again I probably would have put on Steeda Sports, which are in between the Ps and the Ultralites in both spring rate and drop. If I had never run the stiff Ultralites I probably would be very happy with the Ps but the Ultralites kept the car SO FLAT through corners and under braking and I miss a little of that.

While Eibach does make the FRPP springs all the spring rates are specified by FRPP and not the same as the rates that Eibach uses.

TMO Supporting Vendors