The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

M-5638-C Bushings - Orientation of Aluminum/Delrin Bushing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I am installing a set of M-5638-C bushings into the M-3075-RA control arms......FRPP unfortunately does not provide instructions.

Some of you have installed them. Which way did you install the Aluminum/Delrin bushing into the control arm Sleeve?

I called the Ford Racing Tech Hotline today and was advised the bushings go in from the front side of the control arms. I mentioned that the bushing on the stock control arm is pressed in from the rear of the control arm. The hotline was going to ask a FRPP engineer for guidance and call me back today...but I never got the call.

Here is a picture of the two orientations when compared to the stock control arm bushing. I think the correct orientation is the one closest to the stock bushing....is this correct?

20140819_143423.jpg

20140819_142442.jpg

Stock Arm and M-3075-RA arms

20140819_143101.jpg

Dig-It

Kevin
VA
I sure hope so - that's how I installed mine. I also figured with it that way, I'll be able to get just a bit more caster out of the alignment if nothing else.

Dig-It said:
I sure hope so - that's how I installed mine. I also figured with it that way, I'll be able to get just a bit more caster out of the alignment if nothing else.

That is what I was thinking too. Installing the bushings from the front side looks like it would take some caster away.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
Bringing an old one back from the dead. The existing info here answers the correct orientation of the front bushing (install from the rear), however I have not been able to find a clear answer on which direction the donut bushing on the rear should be facing.

As the OP states, neither the M-5638-C bushing kit, nor the M-3075-RA come with instructions, and they’re not on their download site. On a related rant, the M-3075-RA control arm kit includes a complete set of replacement bushings, but does not include the metal bracket that holds the rear bushings. The solution is to spend $400 on another complete set of bushings that includes the bracket??? C’mon Ford, just sell the damn bracket separately for $100 and stop the shenanigans!

So on to my question for those of you that have installed these - does the concave side of the donut face forward towards the control arm, or towards the back and match up with the convex face of the bushing that presses into the chassis bracket?

A29BD20E-0927-4914-8B27-50AAB6E93AC3.jpeg
D37BA137-5031-4D3C-90CE-C1A54F32EA9D.jpeg
F28A17EA-628E-4014-99BE-15AFA31AF478.jpeg
E9C4FBE3-8646-49D4-90ED-54F0858333DC.jpeg
9D05AA4E-2196-49BF-BAB6-A546BEAA6C87.jpeg

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
Found another thread that discusses bind. Not necessarily the bushing orientation, but @captdistraction posted some pics about a gap in the rear bushing stack that I believe relates to the direction this donut is installed.

I would install it as shown in the last pic. Concave to clear the weld on the control arm.
That’s what I was leaning towards - seems it would allow the bushing to have more surface area in contact with the control arm, whereas the opposite direction would have the taper from the weld trying to open up the hole in the bushing.

Last edited:

xr7

TMO Addict?
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Minnesota
Is the basic FRPP control arm different than the stock arm? I know it has a better ball joint, is the arm itself reinforced or thicker material than the stock arm? My other question would be has anyone ever lookked at using the Whiteline bushing kit? I see it is only listed for 2005 thru 2009, not for the 2010 thru 2014 chassis. However I see several replacement bushings from Moog and others appear to use the same parts for 2005 thru 2014. My thought if the basic arm is the same I could install the Howe ball joint in a stock arm and use Whiteline, Prothane or Energy Suspension and cut the cost of what Ford charges for these pieces. Thoughts?

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
That’s what I was leaning towards - seems it would allow the bushing to have more surface area in contact with the control arm, whereas the opposite direction would have the taper from the weld trying to open up the hole in the bushing.

Exactly & this way you will ‘seat’ the bushing, lubricate the the crap out of it at all contact points.

I’ve been very happy with a product called ‘Super Lube’.

First used this product in marine applications as it’s (mostly) impervious to salt water., it stays put & it last for several years on my Boss 302 application.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
Is the basic FRPP control arm different than the stock arm? I know it has a better ball joint, is the arm itself reinforced or thicker material than the stock arm? My other question would be has anyone ever lookked at using the Whiteline bushing kit? I see it is only listed for 2005 thru 2009, not for the 2010 thru 2014 chassis. However I see several replacement bushings from Moog and others appear to use the same parts for 2005 thru 2014. My thought if the basic arm is the same I could install the Howe ball joint in a stock arm and use Whiteline, Prothane or Energy Suspension and cut the cost of what Ford charges for these pieces. Thoughts?
It’s the same basic control arm with the Howe’s ball joint collar welded in. The biggest hurdle is getting the stock hydro bushing off - the thread below has good detail on the best way, and that’s to press it off. The OP mentioned he was going to convert his stock arms, however I couldn’t find a thread documenting that process

From a cost perspective, you still end up with quite a few $’s invested to converting the stock arms. A complete set of Howe’s ball joints, weld in collar and dust boots is approx $350. A complete bushing setup is going to range from $200 (Prothane) to $475 (FRPP). The total cost to convert was close enough for me that I opted to skip the time, effort and additional cost to have the hydro bushing pressed out and the collar welded in. If you have the shop equipment, then perhaps it’s worth doing it.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
My other question would be has anyone ever lookked at using the Whiteline bushing kit? I see it is only listed for 2005 thru 2009, not for the 2010 thru 2014 chassis. However I see several replacement bushings from Moog and others appear to use the same parts for 2005 thru 2014.

**edited original post after looking at application data for 05-09 bushings and comparing to 10-14**

The 05-09 have a smaller diameter ball joint, however the front bushing is the same for all years. Something changed with the rear hydro bushing for 10-14, but not sure exactly what the change was. The Prothane 6-220 fits 05-14, which leads me to believe the Whiteline should work since they’re similar design? Good question though and would be interesting to hear what Whiteline’s tech people would say.

Last edited:

xr7

TMO Addict?
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Minnesota
I contacted Whiteline and they said no but another source says yes. Moog shows the same part# for 05-09 as 10-14. My sister in law has a 07 GT, I may have to con her into letting me get a look at it. My other thought was to see if I can find a salvage yard that has both in stock for a closer look. The frustrating part is I haven't found anyone that has them on their car. The other interesting piece with the Whiteline is the rear bushing mount is adjustable to change camber a bit. Maybe time to do some fab work this winter.

TMO Supporting Vendors