The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

M-6642-MBA Oil Cooler Instructions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

In lieu of actual directions I will ask my questions.

1) With the Ford kit is the cooler mounted both on top and bottom of the cooler??

2) Do the hoses go in the side or top/bottom?? I've heard mounting the cooler with the inlet at the bottom and outlet at top keeps air pockets from forming.

3) I am doing a DIY cooler. I am looking at either a Setrab 920 or 925. Those who have done a DIY, did the Setrab mounting kit work?? How did those who made their own kit mount the cooler??

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
The FRPP (setrab) heat exchanger mounts to the underside of the upper radiator support beam using the bracket pictured in the FRPP pictures. You have to drill 4 holes in the pinch welds of this support to mount the bracket.

The cooler sits horizontally, the inlet/outlet are both on the bottom of the cooler.

Not sure what you mean in your Question #1, but the sandwich plate for the FRPP cooler attaches IN ADDITION TO (in series) with the existing BOSS water-to-oil cooler (double-sandwich plate).

The biggest deal about the kit was cutting the support foam in the undertray panels (or cutting out portions of the panels themselves) so that the oil cooler lines will route comfortably from the heat exchanger at front of the vehicle to the sandwich plate mounted at the oil filter boss.

ArizonaGT said:
The FRPP (setrab) heat exchanger mounts to the underside of the upper radiator support beam using the bracket pictured in the FRPP pictures. You have to drill 4 holes in the pinch welds of this support to mount the bracket.

The cooler sits horizontally, the inlet/outlet are both on the bottom of the cooler.

Not sure what you mean in your Question #1, but the sandwich plate for the FRPP cooler attaches IN ADDITION TO (in series) with the existing BOSS water-to-oil cooler (double-sandwich plate).

The biggest deal about the kit was cutting the support foam in the undertray panels (or cutting out portions of the panels themselves) so that the oil cooler lines will route comfortably from the heat exchanger at front of the vehicle to the sandwich plate mounted at the oil filter boss.

Thanks. You answered #1. I was wondering if the bottom of the cooler mounted to something like the bumper or if it just was left hanging unsupported.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
2012Boss302 said:
Thanks. You answered #1. I was wondering if the bottom of the cooler mounted to something like the bumper or if it just was left hanging unsupported.

The bottom of the cooler is free, but the hoses in/out are relatively stiff for what they are. Combine that with the rubber isolation blocks for the bracket-to-cooler interface, and that thing isn't going anywhere.

jr

Race tracks have turns!
The Boss really needs this cooler, Ford has done a far better job than in the past but at the limit it still runs almost too hot, especially in hot climates and pushed hard.
Question - does the kit include a new lower radiator hose, without the take-offs for the existing air-to-water cooler? Because the stock cooler becomes pointless with the new air-to-air cooler installed.
I'd also want to think about a thermostat in the new cooler, if there isn't one included.

I'm going to run both coolers in series. I think pretty much everyone else here does the same.

Once I get all my parts I hope to post up my DIY cooler install. So far all I have is the Setrab 925 cooler and mounting brackets. I think the 925 is a little large for a stock motor but it gives me room to grow into it ;D ;D

TMO Supporting Vendors