The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S550 Mach 1 with handling pack Build Thread Profile - S550 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Hi Bill and all, I don’t have a lot of mustang experience to compare, but I will say I’m really enjoying the Mach1. I really can’t complain at all and could be quite happy with never touching stock set up. But, hey, like so many others I love to tinker with cars and have my sights on a few things already.

I’ve got about 5k miles on the car with about 11 hours total track time. Most of the miles are two and from the track and some by the book break in miles,

For starters, at about 4k miles and 4 track days, I drove this car as hard as I could on open track. After almost 2 hrs with one stop for gas in 90+ heat, I got a message “engine power limited” to prevent over heating. Definitely felt the de-tuned power. One slow lap and I was back in business. I believe a testament to the extra cooling on this machine and probably will not do anything to cooling or the drive train until we’ll past infant mortality phase. My corvette Freinds secretly envy the set up, talking about all the mods they added to keep temps under control.

The handling pack is pretty awesome, the faster I go the more planted the car gets, very confident at high speeds. Love the gurney flap and the front splitter, Lower profile and magnatide. My past GT started to float after 100-120, this thing is glued as fast as I’ve taken it 141.

Hard breaking from high speed and there is alitte rear end wiggle, which is minor, but does require correction to stay straight. A tad unnerving at first. I’m installing a bunch of Steeda updates which should help.

I was pretty annoyed at the 10 speed at first, I always seemed to be second guessing what gear I should be in and hated the constant shifting. But I’ll say, now that I’m totally ignoring the shifts, it is sooooo much faster than if I was shifting. I catch myself thinking oh sh@t that’s fast.

Track mode is a hoot, great power management and just enough wheel slip to slide through corners. I’m still exploring where the limit is, super careful not to be in a wall or trees, I’ll have to post more later after I collect “more data”

Anyway I could go on, hopefully interesting and not to much bla bla. Pleasure to find this forum and see you on the track!

Hey Mach1,
Didn't we just talk at Pocono on Monday? I was the only Boss there. Your car description and one of the photos looks really familiar. It was great meeting you and fun chasing laps together. Your car looked great on track! Hopefully I can get out to another event with MoE and cross paths again.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Ha!! Yes we did talk! Great to connect with you here. I’m chasing down tires at the moment, but hope to get to MOE event in sept. Falkens are in short supply, may have to go back to sport cup 2s.

TMO Supporting Vendors