The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S550 Mach My Day! Build Thread Profile - S550 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Bob, the S is gone, but it went to a great home in Tennessee and I think I will likely be lucky enough to run at some tracks where both cars are present. Thanks for asking, but the old bod wanted to get something where I was not feeling like a Zoo Animal, crawling in and out of my cage numerous times per day, ha!

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Short list? An MGW short throw shifter should be on your quick list too! The dang thing is so saweet and the throws are crisp and .........................Super Short!!

Last edited:

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Junk, I have a feeling I am going to miss the old " Girl " but I am glad she found such a loving home , with 2 good looking siblings hanging out with her, everyday, in your Blue Oval Barn!

Last edited:

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Butt feel , the Mach feels like a GT 350 that runs out of revs and the driver shifts at the same point as a Boss 302. Of course, above the ole 7500 rpm redline is where the Flat Plane Crank starts it's Siren song! Gut feel , as opposed to butt feel, is that on a short course it might be pretty competitive since the low end grunt feels solid. On a fast course the GT 350 is the thoroughbred and the Mach is good old American Quarter Horse that will shock in short distances. I am optimistic the suspension settings, magnaride , wide tires, and killer brakes will make it reasonably competitive and as long as I am whipping up on Camaros, Corvettes or BMWs , getting beat by a GT 350 or two won't phase me, since this little brother Steed is a nice performance mod from Ford.

Last edited:
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Houston
How do you like the Signature wheels vs the Apex wheels? What tires are you running on the Apex wheels? Do you have the weights of each rim?

I am researching rims now, and looking for some real world feedback. Signature and Apex are high on my list. I know Apex is right at 20 lbs, but not met anyone who has actually weighed them to confirm.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Will miss the event as I have not had time for an alignment or tire mounting the Mach 1. I usually I run with my son with his EVO 9, and it needs a bit of break in driving before racing since he just installed a new beefed up differential!

Last edited:

TMO Supporting Vendors