The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Magnaflow Competition Cat Back Kit - P/N 15166 questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Those of you that have installed this system..

Do you have any issues while tracking the car? I've heard a few folks who have had interference issues with the rear axle and exhaust pipes on 'lowered' or track stance vehicles with coilovers. I'm wondering if this issue has been resolved, as I know it was mentioned on earlier kits that this was a problem. Also, do you think the pipe can be clearance slightly?

this looks like a great kit and sounds excellent as magnaflow does.. I'd like to go with this kit, however my car is Primarily a track only car and I don't want to have issues..

as a few of you know, I wrecked my car at NCM and crumpled my gt500 exhaust.. I'm wanting to go a slightly different route and the magnaflow kit looks great. IF it doesn't work out, i'll be going with the Corsa Sport Axle Back exhaust instead.

I guess i'll have to speak with magnaflow directly if nobody has tried it lately.

Thanks

Luke

Dig-It

Kevin
VA
I have this exhaust on my lowered BOSS. I don't have any issues with the pipes hitting the rear axle - although it did take some fanessing to get the exhaust to sit "just right" so that nothing touched. The Magnaflow plus the Kook's headers and MRT mid-pipe make row a beautiful sound!

I hope that heaped.

Kevin

I have the original Competition exhaust with the single tips. It was fine until I lowered my 11 GT, then it started hitting the axle on large bumps (street driving). My local shop shortened it by about 2" to move it forward and now I have no issues, other than the tips now not extending out to the edge of the rear bumper.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
I have the Boss X-Pipe 3.0" cat back system with Street series mufflers. These mufflers are shorter than the standard 14.0" MagnaFlow street muffler, only 12.5" in length.

Purchased this complete system from a MagnaFlow website authorized dealer for less than $890.00. It was a "make offer" eBay listing, I purchased in early 2012.

So, MagnaFlow may have changed this system as this was an early system. Didn't even come with the gas fill pipe insulation.

It is a very tight fit on lowered Mustangs and like above mine will also clunk on a big dip in the road. Sounds like a Bell clang when it happens, but I don't hear it much.

Next I can tell you that it is a very high quality constructed system with good welds and excellent quality stainless steel seamless mandrel bent pipes. I really like the sound and power of the X-Pipe. Constantly have people tell me just how Sweet my Mustang sounds. I run with Kooks open side pipes and soon, Kooks Ceramic Coated Super Streets. Looking forward to that.

Good Luck with your decision,
302 Hi Pro
Dave

Thanks for your replies guys!! However my car is almost 100% track car I'm not as concerned with nvh issues. I just don't want it clunking or constantly hitting the axle if I'm tracking my car and getting up on the curbing/rumble strips.

From the sound of it, it seems like it'll be ok. I still have to decide!

Thanks!

Luke

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel