The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Magneride Strut Leak?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I noticed this while I was under the car yesterday. The bottom of the magneride is covered in greasy crap. At first I figured it was from something else like residual oil on the under tray that blew over when I was driving but everything thing else in the area is clean. I wiped it off and plan to check again after I get some more miles on it but was wondering if anyone has had an issue with magnerides leaking.

ry%3D400.jpg

Hmmm. Is that the driver side and if so have you had your oil changed yet? If it's the damper it will be covered under warranty but still a bummer.

VoodooBOSS said:
Hmmm. Is that the driver side and if so have you had your oil changed yet? If it's the damper it will be covered under warranty but still a bummer.

Yes it is the drivers side, I changed the oil a while ago and initially thought it could have been left over from that but looking at everything else around it seems pretty unlikely to only have oil on the strut and nothing else...but oil does have a weird way of working it's way around. I'm going to give it a couple of months and see how it looks.

voodoo child21 said:
Did you smell it? Motor oil has a distinct smell, the shock oil will have no smell at all. Odd it is at the bottom and not weeping from the piston seals, see if you see any trace of it running down from the spring seat area.

I didn't smell it but thats a good point. I didn't see anything coming from above but looks like there's some sort of seal in the bottom end. Doesn't sound like anyone else has had an issue so I'll just keep an eye on it and report back if I get it figured out.

Just wanted to update this thread, so the leak came back after I cleaned it. I took the car by Elk Grove Ford today and they agree, strut leak. It will be replaced next week under warranty.

TMO Supporting Vendors