The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Magnetic Ride Control Calibration Update

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

For the Camaro and Corvette. This is interesting that they are offering this. Why is this in the Mustang general forum? Well I wonder if Ford will ever offer this for it's cars with MR dampers. We can't let all the GM owners have all the fun. Certainly the DSC controller sold by CorteX and other shops are a nice way to go.

https://www.motorauthority.com/news...tic-ride-control-calibrations-for-c7-corvette

Cortex claims a similar improvement in lap times with their calibration.

http://cortexracing.com/product/cortex-dsc-sport-v2-gt350-gt350r-magnaride-controller-module/

Magnaride-Controller-03-300x300.jpg

2016-chevrolet-corvette-z06-3lz_100631039_m.jpg

50Deep

Jockin' GT350's
Sacramento
Spoke with one of the FP guys at SEMA. He recommended the DSC as an option for those looking to modify their cars as apposed to the sway bars and springs (on the R anyway) since there is a lot left in the magneride shocks. But they are not planning to develop one themselves for release with ford calibrations.

Spoke with one of the FP guys at SEMA. He recommended the DSC as an option for those looking to modify their cars as apposed to the sway bars and springs (on the R anyway) since there is a lot left in the magneride shocks. But they are not planning to develop one themselves for release with ford calibrations.

He recommended this over changing springs and sway bars on the R?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not sure what your point is? Yes, the Magride dampers are different between the two variants of the GT350, but the DSC Sport controller can be tuned for either, as required.

Correct I’m aware of that.
Just not sure why they said to hold off on the sway bars and springs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In the V6L
Correct I’m aware of that.
Just not sure why they said to hold off on the sway bars and springs.

Good point - I don't know either, unless they feel that the OEM shock settings left a lot on the table. I know when I first did some laps with the DSC controller, it felt like I was driving a different car - it came off the corners like being fired from a gun. I didn't realize that torque was being limited until there was enough grip that it wasn't. Same tires, same temperatures, only change was the DSC.

I have no reason to not believe Mike but I'm not sure what the context of his comment was. What I do know is that their controller works on the GT350 and GT350R and there are no differences how they function. I have no knowledge if they are the same as the ones on a Corvette but I don't doubt that meaning one would bolt up to the other car.

But, there's always a but, I had a direct conversation with a Ford Vehicle Dynamics Engineer, one that worked on the GT350 suspension and also gave me a ride in an R at Laguna Seca, and he said the difference between the two dampers is the "slot gap" is smaller on the R dampers. The slot gap is what the fluid flows through and get magnetized. So what that means is with no current applied to the two dampers the R damper will be stiffer. It's not a huge difference but they are not the same. I'm happy to discuss with Mike as needed. And like @8250RPM stated they do have a different part number.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Big question is whether someone on the Forum has done this yet and what they think about the suspension improvement on the track ? Simple question for me , and would be interesting to hear ?

In the V6L
I have no reason to not believe Mike but I'm not sure what the context of his comment was. What I do know is that their controller works on the GT350 and GT350R and there are no differences how they function. I have no knowledge if they are the same as the ones on a Corvette but I don't doubt that meaning one would bolt up to the other car.

But, there's always a but, I had a direct conversation with a Ford Vehicle Dynamics Engineer, one that worked on the GT350 suspension and also gave me a ride in an R at Laguna Seca, and he said the difference between the two dampers is the "slot gap" is smaller on the R dampers. The slot gap is what the fluid flows through and get magnetized. So what that means is with no current applied to the two dampers the R damper will be stiffer. It's not a huge difference but they are not the same. I'm happy to discuss with Mike as needed. And like @8250RPM stated they do have a different part number.

I suspect that this is a case of an easy situation confounded by a common language. I wouldn't be surprised at all if the housings and major components of the dampers were the same between Corvette and Mustang. The damper chassis if you will. But within that there will be selectable components that change depending on the particular application. It's like brake calipers - Stoptech ST60's show up on lots of cars, and "they're the same" is true to a point. However, each application has specific piston sizes that can be different from car to car.

Personally, I can't believe that the magride dampers for the 350 and the 350R are the same. Rears maybe, fronts not likely.

TMO Supporting Vendors