The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Making the Mustang daily driverable after modifying

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Norm Peterson

Corner Barstool Sitter
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
a few miles east of Philly
In that case, I suspect that the Eibachs are a little too soft to work optimally with the Bilsteins, especially if the valving of these Bilsteins was chosen with a range of firmer aftermarket springs in mind.

I actually ran into this situation on a different car (also a strut/IRS car), with Bilsteins specifically valved to work with lowering springs somewhat stiffer than OE, while I had kept the OE springs looking for more damping and no lowering. The ride could be a bit busy at times, and it was more composed than anyone would have expected if they knew that it was still riding on its production-stock springs. We put about 70,000 miles on those dampers before the engine seized, and the car was better-damped then than it ever was while it was on its OE shocks & struts (OE rear rebound damping in particular being insufficient even for gentle driving).

Norm

In that case, I suspect that the Eibachs are a little too soft to work optimally with the Bilsteins, especially if the valving of these Bilsteins was chosen with a range of firmer aftermarket springs in mind.

I actually ran into this situation on a different car (also a strut/IRS car), with Bilsteins specifically valved to work with lowering springs somewhat stiffer than OE, while I had kept the OE springs looking for more damping and no lowering. The ride could be a bit busy at times, and it was more composed than anyone would have expected if they knew that it was still riding on its production-stock springs. We put about 70,000 miles on those dampers before the engine seized, and the car was better-damped then than it ever was while it was on its OE shocks & struts (OE rear rebound damping in particular being insufficient even for gentle driving).

Norm

The eibach pro kit springs were part of the b12 Bilstein set as a matched set. I'm thinking of Ford P springs to try. As a logical next step would you tackle the springs or sway bars?

B12 is the kit which includes the B6hd and Eibach springs.

Exactly, there was never a b12 kit for the mustang that included the sportline springs instead which was a more agrressive drop.

I'm going to try the Ford racing jounce bumpers in the rear just to rule that out, I don't expect any changes as the b12 kit included the shortened eibach bumpers.

I have never ridden in a boss so I can't say if the comfort level is worse with the thicker sway bar. Then to take that one step further the Laguna Seca sway bar. I would still be like to improve on factory handling but comfort is my number 1 goal.

Norm Peterson

Corner Barstool Sitter
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
a few miles east of Philly
There is enough reserve load rating in your rear tires to where you could take about 3 psi out of them while still maintaining OE load capacity. That should be enough to where the difference would be clearly felt. 32 psi on the door sticker to 29 psi actual for your 305/35-10's only.

Unfortunately, your front tires are already smaller than OE in terms of load capacity, so you can't use this reduced-inflation trick up front (they should really be inflated to something like 3 psi above the door sticker number).

Norm

I have installed a factory front and rear sway bar with endlinks. I also installed a new factory upper control arm. The ride is much better now than what it was. I want to get the roush springs as I've been told they are more comfortable for a daily driver than the eibachs. The problem is nowhere has them in stock and there's a 3 month wait time.

I am also holding off from installing the steeda watts link and may just sell it if it's not going to increase comfort. I do not know whether the steeda X brace is having a negative effect on ride comfort from the increased stiffness

It looks like AM has them in stock

Thank you. Just called AM and they have a couple of sets in stock. Postage to Hawaii though is expensive. As soon as there is a shipping confirmation I'll begin removing the old ones.

After the Roush Springs are installed I'll decide on whether or not to install the watts link.

TMO Supporting Vendors