The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Massive smoke-show on track - possible causes/diagnosis?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Armchair diagnosis requested! Any thoughts on what I should check/where I should start looking would be appreciated.

Car is a 2012 Boss LS, Stock powertrain.

Was at Road America this weekend. On Sunday afternoon after running a day and a half already, was out in my second-to-last session. About 6 laps in. I'm on the front straight in 5th gear at WOT somewhere around 5k RPM (accelerating down the straight). I think I get a whiff of a faint oil smell and look in the rearview mirror and there is a seriously impressive amount of white smoke just pouring out of the back of my car. I may as well have been James Bond and just hit the smokescreen button to try and shake the bad guys. I immediately let off and got off line in case I was dumping fluid. Coasted down to turn 1 and then got back on the throttle gently to get around and out of harms way and no smoke, no smell. Limped it around and pitted out. No smoke, no smell, nothing.

Checked it over in the pits - engine compartment is totally clean and dry, no evidence of oil being sprayed. No residue in the tailpipes, no visible leaks on the bottom end. Passenger side catch can had maybe 1/2oz of oil in it. Ran a scan on it and there's no codes. Started it several times, no smoke. Oil level in the pan was normal, and oil looked fine. Bailed on the last session and drove it gingerly 60 miles to my hotel without issue, and then 250 miles home yesterday. No smoke, no smell, nothing.

When it happened, all guages were normal. Oil temps were around 260, Oil pressure was steady at 80 and never dropped. I've watched the lap video and listened to the motor and it sounds perfectly fine - no missing, no hiccups, just smooth and strong through the whole thing.

Any thoughts on what could've caused this, what else I can check? I will likely have a compression test run just to be sure, but I'm at a loss as right now it just seems like a fluke.

Any possibility that you ran through a puddle of something that splashed into your exhaust, causing the smoke show? Any sign of burn marks on the pipes? Seems odd that you weren't able to reproduce the symptoms even after driving it ~300 miles to your hotel/home. Hope you found out what went wrong, good luck.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
The bad news is I think that's probably coolant. Possibly via the head gasket, and maybe by lifting one of the heads. Could be a crack somewhere, but I doubt that would go away off track. Is the coolant level still the same or normal? I wouldn't expect it to change much, but it would be something to monitor closely.

The good news, is that the symptom may never show up in normal driving.

Were you using the red key and no race gas?

I'd do an oil change ASAP and specifically check for coolant. In theory it would come out first, and possibly just a little. IIRC, it would make some of the oil look 'milky'.

Based on the color of the smoke I thought that might be what it was too. But coolant level was and is still normal, and doesn't appear to have moved off where I last filled it. Oil on the dipstick and what was in the oil separator looked perfectly normal (which doesn't mean much). Will be changing the oil this weekend before it gets driven again to check for contaminants.

Working theory on another board is that my transmission may have vented some fluid out the passenger side vent cap, which is very plausible so I'll inspect that as well.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Assuming you are on the stock 2-piece driveshaft, the center bearing boot probably let go and sprayed the grease all over the exhaust. I was told it looked like a giant white cloud when my second one blew up at Willow Springs around 140mph in February last year.

You can drive the car like that (if necessary) but I wouldn't track it like that.

Check under the car (look in the transmission tunnel where the center bearing is) and you will probably see black grease sprayed all over the tunnel and the exhaust pipes.

If that's it--you can fix this easily by replacing the driveshaft, preferably with a 1-piece aftermarket unit (Dynotech 3.5" is my preference and works great on my car).

ArizonaBOSS said:
Assuming you are on the stock 2-piece driveshaft, the center bearing boot probably let go and sprayed the grease all over the exhaust. I was told it looked like a giant white cloud when my second one blew up at Willow Springs around 140mph in February last year.

You can drive the car like that (if necessary) but I wouldn't track it like that.

Check under the car (look in the transmission tunnel where the center bearing is) and you will probably see black grease sprayed all over the tunnel and the exhaust pipes.

If that's it--you can fix this easily by replacing the driveshaft, preferably with a 1-piece aftermarket unit (Dynotech 3.5" is my preference and works great on my car).
This is my bet.

drano38

Wayne
I'd agree on drive shaft boot also. Saw it happen to a friend and he was 5,000' in front of me on a straight. Huge white cloud from the grease slung onto the exhaust pipes.
If its good with no grease on the underside of car, then maybe coolant as mentioned.
Hope its the drive shaft--a nice upgrade and fix all in one.

I'm hoping for driveshaft too at this point. It was on my list of winter to-do's anyway. Will hopefully know more this weekend after I'm able to put the car up and take a look at it.

Looks like it was the driveshaft. The boot is still intact, but there's a clear line of black grease on the trans tunnel right above the joint, and I can see what looks like residue sprayed all over the floor and the side exhausts where it must not have gotten hot enough to burn off.

So I'll be adding a 1 piece driveshaft to my winter upgrade list.

Actually glad it looks like that was the problem, as some of the alternatives were a lot worse!

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
Well, that is good news as you're right, it is the least problematic failure to have. The new 1-Piece DS is a good upgrade for several reasons, plus the reduction of rotating mass, (-19 lbs.).

Keep us posted on your winter mod list and good luck on the track,
302 Hi Pro

(PS: Coolant white smoke will dissipate very quickly and oil white smoke will linger much longer.)

2HP

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel