The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

mattlqx's Dual-Duty Shelby GT350

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca

mattlqx

Mustangless
295 front/315 rear. I'm probably going to run 295s all around after this because cost and I want them square, but the price on these barely used ones was too good to pass on.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
295 front/315 rear. I'm probably going to run 295s all around after this because cost and I want them square, but the price on these barely used ones was too good to pass on.

They look big...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mattlqx

Mustangless
Probably because they're 19s?
shrug-1414032234@2x.png

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

yotah1

Ford Employee
Detroit
Just some feedback from when I was tracking in Europe with some friends and their GT3 cars. They were buying "lightly used" slicks from race teams who had used them just for some practice laps and a couple of qualifying laps.

They were dirt cheap compared to new ones so it seemed a really good idea, except they had been run at very low pressures to maximize grip for the qualifying, and the structures of the tires were kinda damaged by going crazy agressive over apexes and curbs. One of them blew a tire at the end of the main straight at Spa and destroyed his car. The other 2 guys got barely one day out of the tires as they were wearing out extremely fast :(

Just my 2 cents based on what I've witnessed in the past.

mattlqx

Mustangless
Good general assessment, but these didn't come from any race environment. Another 350 owner did some break in heat cycling on the road with them and then decided on changing wheels. At this size, buying scrubs isn't really an option, very few race cars run 19s.

mattlqx

Mustangless
Work is (mostly) complete! It's been a jam-packed month blowing the wad and getting all the parts on the car. Bringing the mod list up-to-date for posterity.
  • UPR Oil Catch Can System
  • Steeda Clutch Assist Spring
  • Steeda Ultralite G-trac Brace
  • Maximum Motorsports Camber Plates
  • Ford Performance Tie Downs
  • ZL1 Addons Front Tow Hook
  • Custom Full Suede Steering Wheel
  • Redline Racing Hood Struts
  • Exhaust Resonator Delete
  • Sparco ProADV Seats
  • Alternate Rear Trunk Lid
  • Forgestar CF5V 19x11 ET50 Wheels
  • 3.5" (front)/3.0" (rear) ARP Wheel Studs and Lugs
  • 25mm Hubcentric Spacers
  • Watson Racing 4-point Roll Bar
  • Watson Racing Rear Seat Delete
  • Sparco P-3 6-point Harnesses
  • Hoosier R7 295/30/19 (front), 315/30/19 (rear)
  • APR Front Splitter
  • APR GT-250 Rear Wing
  • Aerocatch Hood Pins
  • Caliperfexion 4340-MP Front Caliper Studs
  • Lifeline 1.75L Fire Extinguisher w/ Fourtreks Cage Mount
The minor list of to-dos:
  • Stripes for the alternate trunk lid
  • Better numbers/identification
  • Sliders for the passenger seat
  • Additional set of seat belt buckles to avoid swapping them from OE seats for road-use if desired
The short, short list of additional parts I'd like to get:
  • CorteX DSC Sport V2 module
  • Ford Performance Rear Tow Hook
Shout-outs to vendors that have taken my money and given me parts with no hassles and all excellent customer service: OPMustang (for the studs and lugs), PK Auto Design (for the wheels and spacers), RallySportDirect (for the wing, hood pins and seat hardware), Wine Country Motorsports (for the harnesses and extinguisher), Caliperfexion (for the caliper studs), and Watson Racing (for the very stout roll bar and seat delete).

This last week was just getting done the relatively easy stuff: getting wheels and tires mounted, pestering body shop to finish the trunk lid, building the lid back up with the wing and mounted, swapping out the seats, putting on the wheels, applying some STICKERS because horsepower, amirite?! But I think you'll all approve of who the banner sponsor is (even though not really sponsor).

I'll be running w/ no passenger seat this weekend until I get some sliders from @captdistraction to complete the mounting. Without the gap that the sliders make, the seat doesn't clear the eyelets for the harness connections. No biggie, just more weight reduction. Track day will be Sunday at Arizona Motorsports Park. I have my muffler plugs in to pass sound. Fingers crossed for the scenario working out or else I won't have much of a test before Circuit of the Americas in about a month.

IMG_1142.jpgIMG_1145.jpgIMG_1136.jpgIMG_1138 10.19.46 PM.jpgIMG_1141.jpgIMG_1149.jpgIMG_1152.jpg

Last edited:

mattlqx

Mustangless
Thanks guys!

It'll be a while before actual TT, probably end of this year. TA and HPDE until then. We're just about to come up on summer hiatus here. Summer is fun in AZ. :)

mattlqx

Mustangless
I just took it for a quick road test for the first time. Wow! On rails! And thankfully, not a single weird or errant noise or behavior. I'm kind of shocked after all those things I touched. :) I also tested the plugs of silence again. Worked great again. Doesn't seem to have moved after 20 minutes and a handful of hard pulls and it's so quiet. I don't think I'll have any problem meeting the 96db limit tomorrow. I also have them tethered with metal security wire (through the exhaust tip "rock drain" holes). If they pop out after some time, it shouldn't be a big deal to just come off and push them back in.

IMG_1157.jpg

mattlqx

Mustangless
Sunday went great! The plugs held out perfectly and didn't budge at all through out the day. It clocked at 93.6db (of the 96 limit) on sound check in the morning. Consequences of failing after sound check are apparently a $500 fine. Yikes! Ran the whole day, engine temps and performance were normal. Oil temps in the 270s at peak, ambient was roughly 100 degrees.

If you're interested in what I used it was part number 5117T29 on https://mcmaster.com (their site doesn't handle direct links to parts very well), High-Temperature Expandable Tapered Round Plugs, Trade size 12 and I tethered them to the rock drain holes in the exhaust tip fascia with generic steel wire that you can get at any hardware store.

The wheel, tire, wing setup is sublime. Compliant and predictable and able to plow through a corner at very high speeds and I was running the wing nearly flat. I'm extremely pleased! And I'm even more extremely pleased that I placed first in class, second overall for the Time Attack session! We ran Arizona Motorsports Park in reverse direction. It was my second time on the track and first time running that direction. I rather wish it was the normal direction so I could build on my experience from last time rather than starting over but, oh well. Having a significant portion of the noise missing while running was something of a bummer, but the feel of the car overall made up for it.

I'm looking forward to running Circuit of the Americas uncorked next in about a month, Memorial Day weekend!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BTPTYFBln2Q/

IMG_1161.jpgIMG_1169.jpgIMG_1171.jpgIMG_1174.jpg

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel