The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

mattlqx's Dual-Duty Shelby GT350

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattlqx

Mustangless
Does plugging the exhaust not affect performance?

Not all from what I could tell. The biggest hinderence on performance were the 140 degree asphalt temperatures which led to higher intake temps. I wouldn't want to go much higher but even during the hotter sessions, oil temps held into the 270s.

Did you check your diff temps? That seems to be the one that runs the hottest on my car.

mattlqx

Mustangless
Did you check your diff temps? That seems to be the one that runs the hottest on my car.

Diff temps were good. I think the highest I saw it was 230. That's with heavier that stock weight oil, 75w140. Transmission around 200.

Wow nice build and congrats on great result!! I installed my splitter/wing last weekend and OMG does it look badass!! So long for the sleeper look!!

Thanks! Yeah, I'm pretty happy with the look. The spoiler doesn't photograph very well, but it sure looks great in person.

mattlqx

Mustangless
F6EC1A8B-D581-4D5C-AC99-41067EEACB34.jpg

"Got all of that one."

When I was putting the car on the trailer, I noticed a wonderfully grindy metal-on-metal sound when applying the brakes. The last session finished the job on one of the rear pads. I appear to have had some air that caliper as it's way gone compared to the other 3 pads, which are still just barely above the noise makers. It was the inside pad, so I didn't notice if it was low or not compared to the others before the event.

Congrats Matt. You've put together a great car.

And thanks for the kind words regarding Caliperfexion. We're glad to be a part of your build.

Awesome awesome awesome build!!! Could you post a couple pics of the eye-bolts where the sub straps connect? I'm still trying to figure that part out on mine.

mattlqx

Mustangless
I'm using the eye-bolts included with the Sparco harnesses. Make two holes in the front of the Planted mounting base and use those. Sparco's manual states proper mounting is anywhere from -20 to 20 degrees from the sub opening. This will vary if you're on sliders based on position. This particular base came from @cloud9 so he did the drilling on this one, but I replicated it pretty easily on the passenger side base.

IMG_1183 2.jpg

For the lap belts, a hole on either side as close to the corner as reasonably possible. This is a narrow seat, but it still barely makes contact with the top eye-bolts when slid back. There's still a pretty full range of motion allowed though. The proper orientation of this bolt is 90 degrees from pictured, but it unfortunately blocks the seat from moving backwards that way.

IMG_1184.jpgIMG_1185.jpg

Here is the eBay link for the "no step" stickers... I took the idea on the GT4 car. The ones from eBay are a bit big for my taste but for 4$ I wanted to give them a try. I might get some made in a smaller font in the future.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/271938826201?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

thanks for clarifying the setup for the substraps. My next big mod on the to-do list is a race seat. It will make it easier to move forward knowing how you managed your setup!

mattlqx

Mustangless
What did you do to prevent an airbag light with the passenger seat removed?

I don't. I'd like to find the RCM values to disable them but I've searched and haven't found anything. The light doesn't bother me, but it may affect the other airbags operation, I'm not sure. This isn't a big deal on the track but if you take the race seat on the road with the factory 3-pt it may be a concern.

If the RCM is reset without the sensors attached (like when you reconnect the battery), there will be a persistent air bag light. You can just clear the DTCs after hooking them back up to clear the light and all is well.

TMO Supporting Vendors