The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S550 mavisky's "LOUDCAR" Build Thread Profile - S550 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

More splitter progress. Rounded the lower half of the nose profile on the leading edges and also countersunk the top and expoxied in the GT500 style wicker splitters. I know they carry a drag penalty with their extra downforce, but wagering the tradeoff is worth it at autocross speeds.

Rounded leading edge profile.
52702222747_783c8f9d17_o.jpg

Splitter feed ramp profile sanded into splitter trailing edge. (not perfect, but needed to allow for flush mounting surface)
52703198138_88782d4b01_o.jpg

Splitter wickers recessed and epoxied in place
52702187887_d9aabc0217_o.jpg

Overall photo
52703198143_53d5e78f30_o.jpg

There is a product out there called
" jabrock", it is a very dense plywood that can be machined. Indycars and LMPs use it on the bottom of the tub to prevent bottoming out.
Not sure of a source, maybe Pegasus?

Nice stuff and they're very proud of it. The stuff I used is called HDO and is primarily used for concrete molds. It's a 5 layer plywood with a heavy epoxy resin infusion that makes it highly resistant to moisture as it can't swell or delaminate during the concrete molding phase.

I paid $86 for a sheet of 1/2" 4x8. An equivalent sized sheet of that Jabrock stuff would set me back like $670 + truck freight. Factor in the cost of mounts and everything else and I think I'd be better off just buying a kit from AJ Hartman out of Carbon fiber. Will definitely keep that stuff in mind though as it looks pretty cool for specific projects.

Nice stuff and they're very proud of it. The stuff I used is called HDO and is primarily used for concrete molds. It's a 5 layer plywood with a heavy epoxy resin infusion that makes it highly resistant to moisture as it can't swell or delaminate during the concrete molding phase.

I paid $86 for a sheet of 1/2" 4x8. An equivalent sized sheet of that Jabrock stuff would set me back like $670 + truck freight. Factor in the cost of mounts and everything else and I think I'd be better off just buying a kit from AJ Hartman out of Carbon fiber. Will definitely keep that stuff in mind though as it looks pretty cool for specific projects.
The thing about jabrock, is that it can be machined and you can actually use thread certs in it, and it will hold. After the Indycar race at St. Pete I used to walk the track, scrounging that stuff up.

The thing about jabrock, is that it can be machined and you can actually use thread certs in it, and it will hold. After the Indycar race at St. Pete I used to walk the track, scrounging that stuff up.
Yea I'm sure the juice is worth the squeeze with that stuff, I just don't have a need for it to be quite that hardcore at this point.

Yea I'm sure the juice is worth the squeeze with that stuff, I just don't have a need for it to be quite that hardcore at this point.
Oh, I understand completely, it still works for some tiny bits and is good to have a small sheet lying around, it does make me cry if I cut it wrong though.

@mavisky how do you like the v730? I bought them for HPDE use and I know you do auto x but what do you make of them?
Pretty impressed with them so far. I haven't been autocrossing since the early 2010's so it's been a decade of tire technology I've missed out on, but they have impressive amounts of grip compared to my PS4S.

I shaved around 1.8-2 seconds on our average 56 second courses we run here in Atlanta over the PS4S with no other changes. They also like really low pressures. I run like 28PSI hot in them compared to 35 hot on the PS4S. They seem to come up to temp pretty quick so that's great, although I did read some reviews online of them not holding up the best on long track sessions on heavy cars like ours.

Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Australia

How heavy is that sheet once you have finished with it? Im thinking about making my own but being on the other side of the world we dont get the same types of wood light weight sheets as you guys do. I have found beech on birch plywood here in either 12mm or 18mm at an online seller and definitely no luck with finding Jabroc stuff here. I also dont know how it will go with shipping a carbon splitter from US and getting here in one piece or undamaged.

How heavy is that sheet once you have finished with it? Im thinking about making my own but being on the other side of the world we dont get the same types of wood light weight sheets as you guys do. I have found beech on birch plywood here in either 12mm or 18mm at an online seller and definitely no luck with finding Jabroc stuff here. I also dont know how it will go with shipping a carbon splitter from US and getting here in one piece or undamaged.
You don't have any open wheel car builders in Oz?
They would have it.
With regards to overseas shipments,I would build a box for the splitter, that's how I used to get my kart to the races in the Bahamas.

I'll have to throw it on the scale to see, but it's pretty dang light. I'd wager it's around 10-15lbs maximum. This is actually heavier than standard 1/2" ply due to the heavier infusion of epoxy vs the cheap stuff. It's much better material though.

Yep, bedliner rocks for those, I cut up some small strips of steel and counter sunk some screws to act as skid plates on mineScreenshot_20230227-192110_Samsung Internet.jpgScreenshot_20230227-192221_Samsung Internet.jpg

Last edited:
Nice looking piece, very well done!
What do the vertical arms on the ends bolt to? Trying to picture that area on my car and drawing a blank, but mine's just a PP1 GT and likely the GT350 has a completely different nose?
My SN95 build, I made it so 4 bolts and it came off, washers allowed me to change the rake on it. It or the nose, could be removed independently.

Screenshot_20230227-205602_Samsung Internet.jpgScreenshot_20230227-205649_Samsung Internet.jpg

TMO Supporting Vendors