The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Max Mtrsprts and Pedders

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hi, everyone. I bought the Pedders coilover kit from the American Muscle website. On that website in the q and a it states the maximum motorsports camber plates will work with the kit. They do not. American Muscle directed me to call Pedders and they confirmed there is no way the max plates would fit. As compensation, American Muscle took 100 off the cost of the Pedders camber Plates. They are on their way...

In the end American Muscle did take 100 off a 240 part so I am ok with that. My issues are 1. They have bad info on the website that influenced my purchase decision. 2. I am the one that was directed by AM to call Pedders. What should have happened is AM should have called Pedders and then called me back. 3. It took multiple phone calls and over an hour of my personal time. 4. The customer rep was very good but had to repeatedly put me on hold to speak with his boss instead of just allowing me to speak directly to the supervisor. 5. AM is not capable of overnighting parts. My Mustang is torn down on a lift at my mechanics shop and will sit there for up to ten days while we wait for the Pedders camber plates to arrive.

In the end American Muscle did take 100 off a 240 part so I am ok with that. My issues are 1. They have bad info on the website that influenced my purchase decision. 2. I am the one that was directed by AM to call Pedders. What should have happened is AM should have called Pedders and then called me back. 3. It took multiple phone calls and over an hour of my personal time. 4. The customer rep was very good but had to repeatedly put me on hold to speak with his boss instead of just allowing me to speak directly to the supervisor. 5. AM is not capable of overnighting parts. My Mustang is torn down on a lift at my mechanics shop and will sit there for up to ten days while we wait for the Pedders camber plates to arrive.

Might not be a popular opinion at the moment, but never trust the Q and A section on any website.

It is best to call the manufacturer of the product you want yourself, we modify our cars so each situation can be different.

I'm not trying to say you were wrong, just that I'm not sure AM was either. It's you that will deal with the consequences of parts not working, it also emphasizes the value of companies that will answer the phone and speak with you.

I'd chalk it up to a lesson learned, for 140 bucks that you can most likely recoup through resale that isn't bad.

Hello again, everyone. Quick bad news updates on the Pedders coilover suspension. (1) Today I put my 18x10 wheels with 275/40-18 tires on. In front, the tires press tightly against the coilover and make it impossible to turn the wheels. (2) Looking closer at my stock Boss 302 19-inch wheels that I took off, I can see they were also rubbing against the coilover. (3) Looking at the coilover, I can see it is worn as well.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Do you have room to add a space? On square set ups we use a 25mm front spacer. Is there room between the wheel/tire and the fender? If you have 1/2” washers, you can mock up the spacers size. Do Not put the car on the ground and drive it with the washers in place. Add them to the studs, 3 should do, and see if a spacer will fix your problem. Go with a spacer that is hub centric if at all possible.

Do you have room to add a space? On square set ups we use a 25mm front spacer. Is there room between the wheel/tire and the fender? If you have 1/2” washers, you can mock up the spacers size. Do Not put the car on the ground and drive it with the washers in place. Add them to the studs, 3 should do, and see if a spacer will fix your problem. Go with a spacer that is hub centric if at all possible.
Looks like I do have room for the spacers. Just bought the Eibach 25mm hubcentric ones. Very much appreciated! Track day at Watkins Glen in a week... :)

How much lower do you have the ride height set? Seems highly unusual on an S197 for a relatively conventional wheel and tire size to rub unless it is super low and/or running crazy negative camber.

FWIW I ran 20x10.5 ET42 wheels and 285/35/20 PS4S on the front on my B302 with 2.2 degrees negative camber with plenty of room.

How much lower do you have the ride height set? Seems highly unusual on an S197 for a relatively conventional wheel and tire size to rub unless it is super low and/or running crazy negative camber.

FWIW I ran 20x10.5 ET42 wheels and 285/35/20 PS4S on the front on my B302 with 2.2 degrees negative camber with plenty of room.

Seems like that wheel and tire combo would rub, to run 11 inch wide wheels up front with no rubbing it's usually a ET26 offset I believe. Seems at 42 you would have needed a spacer.

No spacer at all with the 10.5 ET42. I actually ran 10.5 ET45 with 3mm spacer (effectively ET42) for years prior. Both wheel setups were used with KW V3 coilovers and MM camber plates. Had about one finger width clearance to the coilover even with neg 2.2.

A 20x11 ET26 would definitely have rubbed on the outside fender lip on my car because the outside edge of the wheel would have been 22mm further outboard and there is no way that would have cleared on my car, which was about 1" lower than stock. On shorter 19s and 18s, maybe it would work because the shorter tire would not make it that high up at full compression. Here's a pic of mine (sold it to a friend last year sniff sniff).

Stoptech closeup.jpg

Hmmm... I have the 25mm spacers installed. The issue now is when I put on the 18x10 Team Dynamics wheel the wheel does not mate flat with the wheel spacer. Instead it hits the stock wheel lugs and is unable to be mounted properly... Do people change out their lugs for shorter aftermarket ones when they add wheel spacers? Thanks.

Hmmm... I have the 25mm spacers installed. The issue now is when I put on the 18x10 Team Dynamics wheel the wheel does not mate flat with the wheel spacer. Instead it hits the stock wheel lugs and is unable to be mounted properly... Do people change out their lugs for shorter aftermarket ones when they add wheel spacers? Thanks.
Do you have slip on or bolt on spacers? If bolt on, I'd suggest slip on. But you'd need longer studs.

18x10 shouldn't require a spacer though. Try without it.

Hi, Strengthrehab. Yup, I already tried the 18x10 without the spacer and with the wheel installed it rubbed so strongly against the coilover I was unable to spin the wheel at all. I bought 25mm bolt-on spacers. I am baffled...

I did not take a pic but the tire was hitting the very bottom of the spring and the very top of the spring perch. It was about halfway down the sidewall where it was rubbing.

TMO Supporting Vendors