The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Max Rear Tire Size

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A friend of mine is selling a pair of Michelin Super Sports 305/20/r19's. Would these fit my stock rims of my '12 Boss?

If you're referring to 305/30/19 then nope. You need to follow the manufacturers recommendations.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Pilot+Super+Sport&sidewall=Blackwall&partnum=03YR9PSSXL&tab=Specs

5 DOT 0 said:
If you're referring to 305/30/19 then nope. You need to follow the manufacturers recommendations.

Yes, I AM referring to 305/30/19's. Do you know for a fact the wider tire will rub somewhere or are you saying the 305's are too wide for the 9.5" rim?

5 DOT 0 said:
12BossKB said:
the 305's are too wide for the 9.5" rim?
This. Read the specs at the link I posted.

I read that already. I can research websites as well as the next guy. I was posting here to see if anyone had any first hand knowledge...thanx.

5 DOT 0 said:
Well if the manufacturers minimum rim width of 10.5" isn't good enough for you then by all means use them. They won't rub if that's what you want to know.

Yes, and seeing how our 285's look almost to wide for the 9.5 rim, I can't imagine a 305 tire working. If michelin says 10.5, I wouldn't doubt them. I would love to get the super sports, but no luck on correct sizing for our cars.

5 DOT 0 said:
Tflong24 said:
I would love to get the super sports, but no luck on correct sizing for our cars.
I'd be all over them in a second. You can run the 255/35/19 and 295/30/19's, which are an inch lower in height, on the track but I don't want to run shorter tires on the street.

I think the rears would be ok height wise considering the 295/30 ratio vs the stock 285/35. But I think the rear wheel is not wide enough even if approved per Michelin. I still think the 285 looks "too" wide for the stock wheel. I definitely agree on the front, wouldn't want anything shorter tire wise. After the P-zeros wear out, I will go with PS2's for the street. I think they have those in stock sizes.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
over the years I have found this tool to be very helpful in figuring out what the size difference is between tires.
http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

TMO Supporting Vendors