The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S550 Max Build Thread Profile - S550 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Max will surely earn his name, especially with that manual....;)....gotta get him hooked up with a Maxine, to have little Maxes.....:p
Max *is* a gender non-specific name and since it is of 2020 vintage it might be somewhat gender-fluid, however it currently identifies as a bad ass male with the attitude of a pissed off Nordic viking.

Just got back from Track Night in America at Heartland Motorsports Park. Great event and it's been at least a decade since I've been on that circuit. Next event is the Topeka Pro Solo next weekend. Kinda rusty at autocross also.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Great to see you in Lincoln and you were definitely at MAX throttle through plenty of the course on Sunday. Have to admit watching you improve dramatically on Saturday going through the tricky slalom on the West course was impressive. Nice to see the pissed off Viking can be twinkle toes when necessary to dance through the pylons, ha.

There is a two day NASA event coming up in Topeka next weekend and you might look into that as there will be a decent number of Mustang and TMO members there ( check out nasaproracing.com then go to Central Region ). You said you have not been on the track at Topeka for awhile but you have found out the repaving in 2016 made it one of the best track surfaces in the Heartland!

Hope to see you posting more often and great shots of the Silver Bullet!

Great to see you in Lincoln and you were definitely at MAX throttle through plenty of the course on Sunday. Have to admit watching you improve dramatically on Saturday going through the tricky slalom on the West course was impressive. Nice to see the pissed off Viking can be twinkle toes when necessary to dance through the pylons, ha.

There is a two day NASA event coming up in Topeka next weekend and you might look into that as there will be a decent number of Mustang and TMO members there ( check out nasaproracing.com then go to Central Region ). You said you have not been on the track at Topeka for awhile but you have found out the repaving in 2016 made it one of the best track surfaces in the Heartland!

Hope to see you posting more often and great shots of the Silver Bullet!
Thanks Bill, it was great to catch up with you again. I'm still knocking the rust off but happy to recognize some of the instincts are still there. Lincoln was the first time autocrossing Max and I'm really happy with the setup right out of the box.

HMP was very smooth and not abrasive at all. I got more and more comfortable with the track and the car but never managed to stay flat up the hill, I chicken braked each time sooner than I needed to, but I know that the confidence will come with experience. Thanks for the heads up about the NASA event. I'm doing the Topeka Pro Solo that weekend but will look at their schedule to see if I can make any other dates.

intermediate-group2.jpg

intermediate-group79.jpg

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Not sure anyone completely goes over the " Hill" flat out, so no worries there. Pretty sure even the bravest do a " breathe" since they could be approaching 140 mph. Just seems it might not be overly beneficial to try and brake when the suspension is unloaded , one is going downhill, and , oh yeh, time to turn right at high speed!! There are NASA events in Topeka in August , one in Hastings the Weekend prior to the Solo Nationals , ( same time as the Pro - Solo I think ), and then another at the end of October. Don't forget the first week of October for the Mustang Roundup in Hastings ( www.racemph.com ) as there will be more GT 350 competition there than anywhere else in North America!

See you at the track soon ,and check out the Apparel section , because you need a Track Mustangs Online shirt ---- it works great to intimidate the regular Mustang owners who show up, ha.

Had a good weekend - managed to win class BS at the Topeka Pro Solo! This was my first Pro win and I came up from 3rd place on Sat to get it. Didn't do so great in the Super Challenge but very happy with the win.
20200628_153939.jpg

The NASA event was running on the track at the same time. It was great to see and hear all of the really fast Mustangs out there as well.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Pumped about the win Brian, and was hoping to see you as the NASA event was in my plans ---- but screwing up my wrist 5 days prior to the event was not. Can't get a break, retired and want to be racing all Spring , Summer and Fall, but if it isn't Covid it is rotten luck. Are you wandering up to Lincoln for the July 5th Autocross? If so , see , you there and I can tell all my friends I know a Pro Solo Winner!!!!

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Thanks, Bob, between Covid, age , and frustrating accidents getting back on track 2020 has been a hassle. At least I made one Autocross with my son, so have at least made one event.

PatientZero

@restless_performance
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Kansas City, Missouri
Had a good weekend - managed to win class BS at the Topeka Pro Solo! This was my first Pro win and I came up from 3rd place on Sat to get it. Didn't do so great in the Super Challenge but very happy with the win.
View attachment 17986

The NASA event was running on the track at the same time. It was great to see and hear all of the really fast Mustangs out there as well.

I was there too! Are you going to TNIA on Aug 12? I signed up this morning.

TMO Supporting Vendors