The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 MaxFord Build Thread Profile - S197 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Dear Max Ford,

Heh, we could be related as my mom's maiden name was Ford, haha. Love the color of your car, but I may be a bit biased and no worry about running with those 20 year olds, you have old age and treachery to overcome youth and exuberance. Only thing I can see on your beast that you might want to do is going to a bigger set of tires and rims. A set of 18x11s ( squared ) and some sticky rubber ( Hoosier A7 or R7s, BFG gforce R1Ss, used Pirelli or Michelin racing slicks ) will handle many of those young whippersnappers.

PS - good choice for rims are site sponsors Apex or Forgeline.

Last edited:

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
I'm going to assign you some homework. I'll be requiring a detailed write-up on your Aluminator swap. Superb ride, really digging what you've done!
yes, do tell....

Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
New Braunfels, TX
Dear Max Ford,

Heh, we could be related as my mom's maiden name was Ford, haha. Love the color of your car, but I may be a bit biased and no worry about running with those 20 year olds, you have old age and treachery to overcome youth and exuberance. Only thing I can see on your beast that you might want to do is going to a bigger set of tires and rims. A set of 18x11s ( squared ) and some sticky rubber ( Hoosier A7 or R7s, BFG gforce R1Ss, used Pirelli or Michelin racing slicks ) will handle many of those young whippersnappers.

PS - good choice for rims are site sponsors Apex or Forgeline.
I'll be saving my nickels for some better tires! Thanks - Greg "Max Ford"

Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
New Braunfels, TX
I'm going to assign you some homework. I'll be requiring a detailed write-up on your Aluminator swap. Superb ride, really digging what you've done!
Sorry I've been AWOL and I see there were some comments I neglected to respond to. I'll be happy to give you a write-up on the Coyote Swap. Not sure how detailed you're looking for but I do have a VERY detailed spreadsheet on my costs, if that helps anyone. What process do I use to share this with someone who's interested? Remember this is a track-only car, so no AC; no smog controls.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Sorry I've been AWOL and I see there were some comments I neglected to respond to. I'll be happy to give you a write-up on the Coyote Swap. Not sure how detailed you're looking for but I do have a VERY detailed spreadsheet on my costs, if that helps anyone. What process do I use to share this with someone who's interested? Remember this is a track-only car, so no AC; no smog controls.
I'm doing a gen 2 Coyote swap into an 06 s197 right now, so anything you'd care to share would be much appreciated.
You can share here or start a new thread or PM me if you'd prefer, but my ears are open and I'm sure others are interested as well..

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
I'd be particularly interested in how you handled the ABS since a control pack doesn't address this.
Same as you, race only so I'm not worried about the A/C etc.

ChrisM

Mostly harmless.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
South Carolina
What Sal said. There is just very little information on that swap to be found and what information is available is very incomplete. I didn't mean to come across as telling you to do something. Feel free to share what you're comfortable with if you want. I think you might be able to attach documents and stuff to the post.

PatientZero

@restless_performance
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Kansas City, Missouri
I'd be particularly interested in how you handled the ABS since a control pack doesn't address this.
Same as you, race only so I'm not worried about the A/C etc.

From what I was told by a friend with a Coyote swapped foxbody the ABS unit only needs like 4 wires to work and is independent of the ECU. He is using a S197 abs unit on his car also.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
From what I was told by a friend with a Coyote swapped foxbody the ABS unit only needs like 4 wires to work and is independent of the ECU. He is using a S197 abs unit on his car also.
Which 4 wires and where they go is the $64,000.00 question.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
New Braunfels, TX
Here is my spreadsheet regarding the Coyote Aluminator (Naturally Aspirated) swap into a 2008 FR500S, replacing the 4.6L 3V original motor. I couldn't figure out a way to attach a spreadsheet, so I had to convert it to a PDF. Everything was done in 2019, spread out over about 11 months.

Attachments

• 2019 Coyote Swap for 2008 FR500S Parts and Labor.pdf
    156.6 KB · Views: 45
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
New Braunfels, TX
PS - Be advised that there was a very slight modification required to the fire wall behind the center of the engine. A small cut-out and welded patch was painted to match and now it's hard to find where it was.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Here is my spreadsheet regarding the Coyote Aluminator (Naturally Aspirated) swap into a 2008 FR500S, replacing the 4.6L 3V original motor. I couldn't figure out a way to attach a spreadsheet, so I had to convert it to a PDF. Everything was done in 2019, spread out over about 11 months.
This is awesome, I'll read up tonight. THANK YOU!

Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
New Braunfels, TX
These engine hoist brackets will help the swap go easier. They're a MUST-HAVE, in my opinion.

Attachments

• Engine hoist brackets to fit Coyote.docx
    677.1 KB · Views: 49

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
These engine hoist brackets will help the swap go easier. They're a MUST-HAVE, in my opinion.
Yeah, I bought something similar from them, the plates that bolt to the intake manifold surface. Works great.

TMO Supporting Vendors