The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

May acquire race built Boss 302 for th track: Torsen or locker differential?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

REAL 1

Death smiles at everyone. Army Rangers smile back.
I am looking to acquire a Boss 302 that has been built by a well known race shop for road racing. The shop took out the torsen diff and put in a locker diff in the course of the build.

What are your recommendations as to the diff?. Should I put the Torsen back in for track work? I have about 2 years of track experience.

Advantages and disadvantages to each?

The locker doesn't have traction sensing. Usually those are for drag racing I thought.

The stock torsen is ok for track days but lacks the bias ratio for real racing. At some point your cornering G's overbear the stock torsen (I think it has 2.5:1 bias? Someone correct me). I'm moving to the T2R which has a greater bias. 4:1 or thereabouts. Thus it can unload and load more traction so it's not wasted on a tire that might....oh...say...be in the air! Lol

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
The TR2 is very robust, and is an excellent choice for your intended application.

This will give you the basics of the T2R: http://torsen.info/products/T-2R.htm

Good luck with your build,
Dave
302 HP

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel