The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Maybe they will remake the SVO

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

That would be cool. I remember wanting a SVO real bad back in 1986. Still one of the all-time coolest rear wings. 8)

51561.JPG

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
I'd be surprised to see what Ford could do with a 4 banger. My previous ride had a would-up Audi 2L turbo in my TTS - 345 Hp/352 ft/lbs, and VERY reliable (not so much the DSG transmission though ;D ). 30 MPG on the highway when you didn't open her up. I am much happier with our 302R engine but there is a place for small displacement engines that kick butt, especially for those that can't manage the costs of a dedicated track car or even the gas costs of a V8. Having them built a bulletproof engine like that will only help them compete, and if they can build them really bulletproof the technology will spill over to all engines (it did with Audi, my engine was based on Lamborgini's V10 actually which also went into their R8). I just hate the name "ECOBOOST", makes it sound like they want you to think it's magic or something.

ufnavy06

Some say he has a tattoo of his face on his face.
He just said it was safe to assume there would be an Ecoboost. So I'd still say there's a chance it won't show up, but I'd be surprised.

I think they'll have a high revving N/A motor for the foreseeable future. But... I doubt the Ferrari will go the 250,000 miles I think these Mustangs will go.

I was looking at engine weights earlier and it looks like the ECO-B V6 weighs more than the Coyote, but the I-4 weighs about a hundred pounds or so less. The I-4 could get what? 35 MPG on the highway? They'd sell a bunch I think.

My mom had an 85 Turbo Cougar XR-7 that had the same engine as the SVO and it was kinda fast for the day and handled great. Loved that car up until the day I totaled it!!! Not my fault, timed the light right and some punk tried to do a right, U-Turn, right really fast to go around a red light. I broadsided him. :mad:

After totaling another car (a rental with 50 miles on the OD) on a business trip in Austin, I decided to no longer time the lights so close. Helluva ride getting broadsided by a car doing 30+ smashing the drivers door in a foot! :eek:

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
cloud9 said:
5 DOT 0 said:
Hopefully Ford offers a V8 alongside the smaller turbo engines. Anyone up for a N/A 5.0 with 550 HP and a redline at 8,500
Me ;D

Oh yea - we need Mark W to get us that Cobra Jet intake setup and tune for 93 & 100 octane. The current 302R seems to be pulling more like 475 at the crank, definitely not 444. I would be very surprised that we could not get an additional 50 - 75 hp out of this engine and let it run to the intened 8300 rpm. Pull the dang speed limiter too. It may void the warranty (or reduce it mark ? ;D ) but for a lot of us that won't be an issue. If all that could happen in the $1500 range I'd put the money down right now. The car is so capable now I can only imagine what it would be like with 75 more HP and around another 50 ft/lbs.

Those mods would certainly void the warranty but give it a shot. ;) Some speculate the speed limiter is there because of the driveshaft (outside of liability issues) so that might need to be addressed. I think the stock engine is capable of 500 HP without too much work but it will compromise durability. One question I have is how much additional HP can the stock suspension take before overwhelming it and messing with the cars balance?

5 DOT 0 said:
Hopefully Ford offers a V8 alongside the smaller turbo engines. Anyone up for a N/A 5.0 with 550 HP and a redline at 8,500 RPM's? ;D Come on if Ferrari can make a 4.5 with 562 HP and redline's at 9,000 RPM's Ford should be able to come close. ;)
Don't forget the two year run supposed for the Boss 302. If a V-8 version is still offered in the Mustang for the new platform, I'd bet the top of the line would be an N/A 351 in keeping with the retro releases. But you can take it to the bank the Mustang will have a turbo V6 in 2014, and pretty likely to have a turbo 4 in the base models by then.

Fat Boss said:
My mom had an 85 Turbo Cougar XR-7 that had the same engine as the SVO and it was kinda fast for the day and handled great. Loved that car up until the day I totaled it!!!

I ran out and got the 87 T-Bird when it first came out. I always wanted an SVO but had that Bird for a long time. Nobody would believe me that is was a four banger when I took them for a ride. It was ahead of it time, sorry I ever sold it (like 50 other cars).

427mustang

68fb42769scj88drag car2012BossYB838 LS 760 SILVER
2012YellowBoss said:
Fat Boss said:
My mom had an 85 Turbo Cougar XR-7 that had the same engine as the SVO and it was kinda fast for the day and handled great. Loved that car up until the day I totaled it!!!

I ran out and got the 87 T-Bird when it first came out. I always wanted an SVO but had that Bird for a long time. Nobody would believe me that is was a four banger when I took them for a ride. It was ahead of it time, sorry I ever sold it (like 50 other cars).
HAD A 86 T BIRD WASNT INTERCOOLED SURPRISED AN 85 BUICK GRAND NATIONAL WITH MY FAMILY IN THE CAR,HIS BUDDYS WERENT TO IMPRESSED WITH HIM,THAT WAS FUN.

TMO Supporting Vendors