The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

McLeod RXT Install Pictures

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Generally, more of stock clutch de-install pictures, however

Took the car over to a buddy's place to install my new McLeod RXT twin disc clutch on his lift.

One of the first things we found was this header-to-cat bolt that was snapped off--looks like I found that "ticking" sound when my engine gets hot. Dealer tech probably hit this with an impact and broke it off...

215388_10100308010985514_434465813_n.jpg

Stock clutch:

465823_10100308287765844_59119025_o.jpg

We found this metal washer looking thing embedded between the clutch material and the center of the clutch, it was machining away my flywheel...no idea where it came from or how it got there.
253392_10100308288110154_358586795_n.jpg

The shiny part of the flywheel is where that washer or whatever was making contact:
935171_10100308288469434_1876623158_n.jpg

Flywheel and stock crank trigger ring removed. Tough to see here, but the crank position sensor had metal shavings on the end, as well as a noticeable dent in the side. Fortunately, I had a spare on-hand since I knew this part would be easily-accessible if anything were found wrong.
37042_10100308289048274_1215210025_n.jpg

McLeod RXT bolted up, easy as pie:
943341_10100308289252864_463108838_n.jpg

Getrag MT-82--made in China, as we all know. Apparently in 2006. My BOSS is a MY2012...
215278_10100308289582204_2077782355_n.jpg

We replaced the throwout bearing as well, since we were in there. Here is another shot of that metal washer we found:
405956_10100308289991384_1962539508_n.jpg

Car feels great and clutch works very well. I now have a big exhaust leak because one of the cat bolts on the driver's side snapped off while we were tightening--looks like it was stretched out by an impact before................................................

Heading to dealer tomorrow AM for Misfire Monitor Neutral Profile Relearn and to discuss why those bolts on my cats were all jagged up.

unrealford

Mustang owner since 84
Thanks for the pictures and info you achieved during your install.
Does the clutch engage about the same. Is it too grabby or will it allow a clutch slippage if nessasary like for drag racing.
I know somebody that installed a new clutch/flywheel in their Mustang and it was terrible, it was instant on engagement. Really sucked 1 inch from the floor and it was fully engaged

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
Be sure to follow the break in instructions so it will have a long life.

I snapped that bolt off on my car as well. they bind really easy. if its the tighter side you cant get a new bolt in. I just put on jegs cat deletes as I didnt want to buy a new cat

jneary

Performance Fords
Norcal
that is the clutch tat i am going with when i need to replace the stock one. I would love to get more of your thoughts once you have had a few miles with it...

Does that clutch disk say "made on turkey" on it?! Crimini sakes, no wonder we have so many people out if work!

I have to say, shipping tranny's all the way around the world bugs me too. I realize that these companies need to stay competitive but.... it is frustrating...

John

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
NFSBOSS said:
My RXT was installed last week and it was a toggle switch for the first 100 miles. It's getting better now.
same here so far; only 50 miles in.

Car won't see the track again until October, and at that point it will be a race car. Planning to drive it on the street until July.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Giddyup said:
Is that a big crack in the weld on the header? In the first pic?

No, just a byproduct of an awkward picture angle and flash. It's just weld material.

unrealford

Mustang owner since 84
So far you guys haven't put many miles on, but from what I'm reading it engages too quick right now?

Justin

NFSBOSS said:
Yep. Mine will be fully broken after Friday and I'll report back late that night.
mine took a lot of miles to fully break in and become easy to drive. mine stopped being a toggle switch after about 800 miles or more. cant remember for sure now.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
JB said:
How long did the whole job take to do?

We were waiting for the car to cool when I first arrived, and we also took a couple breaks. Probably about 4 hours of actual work.

I'm getting used to the clutch engagement more now, it will take some time but it's very liveable. The clutch pedal itself is a lot lighter now too; I'm considering removing the assist spring in the pedal assembly. Not 100% on that plan, though.

Justin

ArizonaGT said:
We were waiting for the car to cool when I first arrived, and we also took a couple breaks. Probably about 4 hours of actual work.

I'm getting used to the clutch engagement more now, it will take some time but it's very liveable. The clutch pedal itself is a lot lighter now too; I'm considering removing the assist spring in the pedal assembly. Not 100% on that plan, though.
I tried it made it horrible for me. I have a GT500 pedal assembly to install supposed to make it smooth as glass. and the price isnt that bad. if you guys harass me enough I might install it lol. mine engages right at the transition point of that assist spring making it hard to make a smooth low speed engagement in a hurry to hard to control cause of that spring. I feel with the other pedal assembly it should make it perfect.

if I do do the swap tell me now if I need to take pics and do a how too. cause to me it seems simple and one isnt required.

TMO Supporting Vendors