The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

MD/DC/VA Dealer Track Key Installation

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hey guys,

Wanted to know if anyone from the MD/DC/VA area had a good experience with a knowledgeable and experienced dealer for a track key installation.

The closest ford dealer (Sheehy Ford) told me it would take 6 hrs to install, but they would only charge me 5 hrs; even though i mentioned ford states it's an 1 hr install. I guess the installation comes with a 4-5 hr test drive on their part.

A quick google search showed Koons Ford in Annapolis has done a few, but i wanted to see if i had any other options.

Thanks in advance.

H,

Talk to Matt Norris in the Service Dept at Cowles Ford in Woodbridge. They've done several installs and it cost about $125 to install my software.

Dan

Mine was done at Koons Ford Baltimore. Tom Snyder was my sales rep and it was all done through him. I have not had a single issue with it and it was done for free with my purchase. I think he said they usually charge the $302 but that is including the tune.

Thanks guys!

I just received the paperwork via mail. I'll be giving these dealers a call tomorrow, hopefully one of them has time to do it tomorrow.

I had mine installed at Sheehy Ford and the experience wasn't great, but they ended up doing it correctly even after coming to me in the waiting room and saying they couldn't do it because the lead tech wasn't there (they called him and he walked the guy through it). I don't know where they are coming up with 6 hours, though. Even though the tech had never done it before it was done in two hours. I don't remember the final cost but it was in the neighborhood of $450.

It was well worth it though because I haven't used the silver key in over a year. Have you checked with Crossroads Ford in Colonial Heights? I've never used their service department but I know they've sold several Bosses, for what that's worth.

Just out of curiosity, which Sheehy Ford did you go to? mine was up in Germantown, MD. On top of the 5-6hrs, the tech also added that the car would no longer be street legal with the track key. After that statement, I gave up trying to reason with their service department.

I just checked, Colonial Heights Ford is a good 2.5hr drive for me, that's is stretching a little bit. but if i get no luck with the other dealerships mentioned here, I'll give them a call. Thanks for your input.

F.D. Sako said:
Hey guys,

Wanted to know if anyone from the MD/DC/VA area had a good experience with a knowledgeable and experienced dealer for a track key installation.

The closest ford dealer (Sheehy Ford) told me it would take 6 hrs to install, but they would only charge me 5 hrs; even though i mentioned ford states it's an 1 hr install. I guess the installation comes with a 4-5 hr test drive on their part.

A quick google search showed Koons Ford in Annapolis has done a few, but i wanted to see if i had any other options.

Thanks in advance.

I got my track key done at Koons Ford in Annapolis. They service my Boss and do a great job. I've had 0 problems with their service dept eventhough I purchased my Boss elsewhere.

Ben

It was Sheehy Ford in Richmond. I didn't realize that was a ways out for you. I bought my Boss at Apple Ford in Columbia, MD. I've had no dealings with them other than buying the car, but it may be worth a phone call. They sold me the car below invoice so their service department may be reasonable too.

Thanks for the responses guys. Hopefully this thread will help others in the area as well.

I called around yesterday and Koons Ford in Sterling was the only one that could squeeze me in their schedule. They had quoted $160, which wasn't the cheapest but still reasonable. I went in and it took about 4 hours. Everything was going great until the connection was lost with the ford server and had to restart the process. Unfortunately, this happened right before their lunch break, so they had to start after their break. I was given a loaner car and still charged $160 (+tax)

The difference between the track key and reg. key are noticeable. Most difference is felt around 3-5k rpm. However, i don't seem to get the lopey idle message or the 'ding' I've been reading about. I can't hear the lopey idle as well, but I thought it might be due to the 3/4" exhaust plates.

It's good to see that there are this many bosses out there in this area. I've only seen one other so far.

You should see "Trackey Active Track Use Only" when you start the engine. A couple minutes after the engine reaches operating temp there should be a chime and there should be a message on the display stating that the Trackey idle is active. At least that's the way it works on my '12. I know the '13's have a different display so it may be a little different if that's what you have.

At the very least you should hear a much deeper idle after the Trackey idle kicks in. The 3/4" side plates should let hear it pretty well. My idle isn't lopey so much as deep and loud. Check YouTube for before and after videos if you want a comparison.

batman48195

I never get tired of driving it!
I have heard of issues like that and usually the dealer has to reinstall the Track Key software. I think you were over charged as everywhere I see it says 1 hour labor. Its not your fault if yours is the first one they have done and it takes them longer.

Brian

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
here is the dealer instructions for the Trackey. You can see how to test if the install was successful

How do I tell if the installation has been successful?
 If the TracKey itself has been successfully programmed, the message "TRACKEY ACTIVE TRACK USE ONLY" will appear on the message center when the ignition is turned to the ON position with the TracKey. If both the PCM and the TracKey have been successfully programmed, the green speed control light on the dash will blink continuously twice per second when the engine is running and Pit Lane Speed Control has been activated. To activate Pit Lane Speed control on a 2012 vehicle, press the "OFF" button followed by the "RESUME" button within 2 seconds. To activate Pit Lane Speed Control on a 2013 vehicle, make sure the speed control indicator light is off (not orange or green) then press the "RSM" button twice within 1 second. To deactivate Pit Lane Speed Control, press the "RESUME" or "RSM" button once. Note that if the PCM is not programmed correctly, the "TRACKEY ACTIVE TRACK USE ONLY" message can still be displayed on the message cluster but no action will be taken by the PCM so none of the TracKey functionality will work.

[pdf]http://www.fordracingparts.com/trackey/include/TracKey_Dealer_Technician_Instructions_V2.2.pdf[/pdf]

TMO Supporting Vendors