The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Meet the New Boss...Same as the Old Boss

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How often do they have to renew the license to keep it valid? Can they lose control of the brand name if they did nothing?
I would imagine they have a license agreement with Ford who probably have final say in the production of these vehicles controlling # produced and for the numbers of years they are produced. I have to imagine these vehicles are all going to cost close to 6 figures. Boy a Boss 429 would sure look good in the garage. Forget about that ZR1.

racer47

Still winning after 30+ years
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
SE WI
Boss 429's start at $209k

No V8 available Bill!
B1D07813-9FC2-4980-AAD9-C5B0A7F6ADE8.jpeg
Yeah she was a beauty. You could have her for just $1,879. You probably have that amount in your wallet right now! She came with a high-output 199 cu in., 128 hp engine as standard equipment but you could get a 232 cu. in. inline 6 - producing a whopping 145 hp as an option. Yeah Bill...those were the good old days, weren't they?

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Sorry , but you could get a V8......................I not only had one , I had two!!! One with a three speed and another automatic - fun, little , ugly , sleepers.

Last edited:
OK. They even had a dealership modify this 5.0 L V8 engine (bored & stroked) to 6.6 liters. It would turn out 1/4mi times in the high 13 seconds. I think that was around 1973. Now for 1973 that was a strong time but the production of this modded motor was very limited (<25 vehicles). This automotive era (1970-1989) was a funky time for American performance vehicles production back then. EPA over-regulation and high gasoline prices had devastated the American muscle car back then.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
I know I lived through those smog restricted times, yet that fugly little silver blue ride, with the automatic, dusted off a lot of what folks thought were much faster cars. Most of us who lived through the 70s struggled to find something that would run decent and the catalytic converters were in their infancy and there was no such thing as High Flow system. So , lived in Kansas and just deleted them on my 6.6 TA 77 Trans Am and it woke the car up a bunch. There is not a better time than now, with all the HP wars continuing for almost 2 decades. This ERA will be talked about a lot longer than the Muscle Car Period of the 60s , as it is lasting so much longer. 20 years from now folks will wax philosophic about the late 90s through now. Good info on the Boss ( especially the 429 ) and if folks want to see some of these old beasts they should sign up for the Mustang Roundup ( www.racemph.com ) this September, because besides the track events , there is a small car show , and the last two years we actually had two Boss 429s show up ( along with Mach 1 428s, older Bosses, and more ).

Last edited:

TMO Supporting Vendors