The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Melted Fender Liner - GT350 Right Front

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

In the V6L
Ok, so it's weird, I admit. But here's the photo:

Wheel well liner melted small 2019 04 30.jpg

Yup. The cooler grill on the passenger's side wheel well of my GT350 melted. The trans cooler is fine, and everything else is fine, but the liner's got to be replaced.

Has anyone seen this before?

That is weird. That engine does get hot but mine ran cooler than my Boss. The trans ran very cool, I just wish the diff ran that cool.

In the V6L
Should be under warranty though?
We'll find out tomorrow - the dealer has the part and it's scheduled. We'll see if Ford covers it or not.

The louver is between the trans cooler and the wheel well, and there's no rational explanation for it to melt like that. The melted slats have stiffened into position hanging down between the liner and the trans cooler. The trans cooler is undamaged, so it wasn't debris. You can see that the undamaged slats look stressed, and the same louver on the driver's side looks like it'll be the next to fail - the slats are looking pretty wobbly.

Very odd.

In the V6L
Covered by warranty.

The new one has been on for three track days so far and it's already showing signs of thermal stress - the slots are starting to open up like the ones lower down in the photo.

In the V6L
Interesting. And this is the trans cooler side, not the oil cooler?
Yes, trans cooler side. It's weird because I've been running in cool weather (high 60's) and the trans hasn't been that hot - trans oil temps have been 180F or so. Engine oil's been running 250F.

Yeah, that is odd. Maybe the air is trapped in there and its melting after you park it? I haven't looked close enough to see what the air flow is like in / around there.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel