The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Member Introductions - Introduce Yourself

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Atlanta, GA
Welcome to the forum Nick. Great group of people here with a ton of knowledge and experience. I hope to make my way down to Road Atlanta with my pony some day, that track and my home track Mosport have virtually identical lap times and are the fastest tracks in North America.
Thank you!! I look forward to meeting you at the track. Let me know if you plan a trip to Road Atlanta, it’s a great (and humbling) track!

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Get your son into autocrossing once he turns 15 , as he can run with SCCA at that age ( you just have to ride with him). I started that way with my son , and we graduated to racing Spec Miata ( W2W ). He and I have gone full circle, because when I autocross I share his EVO9 with him.

He doesn't have time from work to Road Race anymore, but we have a blast slipping around the cones together. Guarantee you will have some of the best times in both of your lives coming up very soon.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Atlanta, GA
Get your son into autocrossing once he turns 15 , as he can run with SCCA at that age ( you just have to ride with him). I started that way with my son , and we graduated to racing Spec Miata ( W2W ). He and I have gone full circle, because when I autocross I share his EVO9 with him.

He doesn't have time from work to Road Race anymore, but we have a blast slipping around the cones together. Guarantee you will have some of the best times in both of your lives coming up very soon.
That sounds like great fun! I started auto crossing when I was a teenager. Perfect way to learn car control! Really cool that you and your son are able to share the same hobby. I will definitely offer auto crossing to my son next year. He stays busy on a traveling AAU basketball team but if he’s interested I’d love to reach him!! Either way super proud of him :)

Hello Everyone! Mark from Pittsburgh, PA. I just found this forum today and it looks absolutely incredible! I have no track experience other than as a rider in a 2017 Grand Sport at Pitt Race for a few track days. I loved it so much that I've was looking for a weekend / track car for a couple years trying to be objective. I really wanted a Mustang though. Well about 4 weeks ago I found a deal on a 2012 GT but n Ohio that had a decent amount of mods that probably only came out to a couple grand with the price of the Stang and was never dragged or tracked. I messaged, got a reply, spoke with the guy, set up a deal and drove out a week later to drive back.
This is what was already in place per the seller:

Pypes long tubes
Pypes off-road x pipe
Bassani mufflers
New koni shocks - non adjustable
New Ford racing springs
2018 manifold
47 lb injectors tuned on E85 only 437 RWHP.
New spec stage 1 clutch
New SR performance flywheel
SR short throw
JLT intake
JLT oil separator passenger side- have driver side needs installed
20" 2015 rims
Panhandle bar and rear sway bar relocation brackets

Just installed last evening - Steeda jacking rails. I had to do the front O2s and syncs. The light irritated me...

My " objectivity " was flawed ! Too much good stuff added and such a nice car made it difficult... As soon as I was home I realized that there was no way I was going to pass emissions. That was confirmed today. My goal is not to drive more than 5k a year so working in the one year waiver with a shop right now.

I just picked up a SA2010 Bell only used once for 50 bucks so good with that for 2 years. I've been looking at the Schroth harnesses for stock seats. Not sure though. Within the next few months rims tires and HANS. It has an " autocross " alignment but is not right just from seeing uneventful left / right side wear so that needs addressed. I think that's pretty much the story. I'm excited to be here, learn and meet good people!

Thanks!
Mark

The day I picked it up.
P.S. I'll try not to be a donkey and post a bunch or questions before doing my due diligence by searching the forum. I'm figuring that most essential questions have been addressed, answered and extensively discussed. :)
KIMG3580.JPG

Last edited:

Ludachris

Chris
Staff member
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Newcastle, CA
Hello Everyone! Mark from Pittsburgh, PA. I just found this forum today and it looks absolutely incredible! I have no track experience other than as a rider in a 2017 Grand Sport at Pitt Race for a few track days. I loved it so much that I've was looking for a weekend / track car for a couple years trying to be objective. I really wanted a Mustang though. Well about 4 weeks ago I found a deal on a 2012 GT but n Ohio that had a decent amount of mods that probably only came out to a couple grand with the price of the Stang and was never dragged or tracked. I messaged, got a reply, spoke with the guy, set up a deal and drove out a week later to drive back.
This is what was already in place per the seller:

Pypes long tubes
Pypes off-road x pipe
Bassani mufflers
New koni shocks - non adjustable
New Ford racing springs
2018 manifold
47 lb injectors tuned on E85 only 437 RWHP.
New spec stage 1 clutch
New SR performance flywheel
SR short throw
JLT intake
JLT oil separator passenger side- have driver side needs installed
20" 2015 rims
Panhandle bar and rear sway bar relocation brackets

Just installed last evening - Steeda jacking rails. I had to do the front O2s and syncs. The light irritated me...

My " objectivity " was flawed ! Too much good stuff added and such a nice car made it difficult... As soon as I was home I realized that there was no way I was going to pass emissions. That was confirmed today. My goal is not to drive more than 5k a year so working in the one year waver with a shop right now.

I just picked up a SA2010 Bell only used once for 50 bucks so good with that for 2 years. I've been looking at the Schroth harnesses for stock seats. Not sure though. Within the next few months rims tires and HANS. It has an " autocross " alignment but is not right just from seeing uneventful left / right side wear so that needs addressed. I think that's pretty much the story. I'm excited to be here, learn and meet good people!

Thanks!
Mark

The day I picked it up.
P.S. I'll try not to be a donkey and post a bunch or questions before doing my due diligence by searching the forum. I'm figuring that most essential questions have been addressed, answered and extensively discussed. :)
View attachment 59160
Welcome Mark! Be sure to create a "vehicle profile" for your car (which will auto-create a build thread for you) so we can follow your journey with the car. Glad to have you here.

Boone

Professional Thread Killer
Hello Everyone! Mark from Pittsburgh, PA.

Get a set of 200TW tires in 275 or 285 width on 10" wide rims (18" or 19") and some camber plates so you can dial in 2 - 2 1/2 degrees of negative camber. Run CAM and some HPDEs and enjoy yourself. Sorry to hear you "only" have over 500hp at the flywheel. :rolleyes: Welcome to the lifestyle.

Get a set of 200TW tires in 275 or 285 width on 10" wide rims (18" or 19") and some camber plates so you can dial in 2 - 2 1/2 degrees of negative camber. Run CAM and some HPDEs and enjoy yourself. Sorry to hear you "only" have over 500hp at the flywheel. :rolleyes: Welcome to the lifestyle.
Thanks! Time for my research on Vorshlag correct fitment and initial setup. If I'm going to do things I'll suck it up and try to do right when the cash is available. Early Christmas present to myself? Yup! One thing that I have learned over the years is try to do things right the first time. Sometimes it may cost more in the beginning but pays off over time in various ways. I'm not saying everything has to be brand new though.... I'm only thinking about safety items, stout rims, good tires alignment and hopefully at least some kind of brake upgrade. Once all that is in place then I can venture in the track for appropriate instruction. We'll see how soon cash dependent. The first thing I'll do is a car control clinic. I'm not new to rwd but 500 hp is. I need to know the what, how, when and whys of this car in a safe environment and the best ways to calmly react. It some is a review so what. I've done enough stupid stuff like spinning a car up an embankment backwards and rolling it off in my younger days. I'll do what the pros tell me and eventually develope my own " style " over time with experience. I've done so much reading here in the last 24 hrs my head is spinning. o_O It's a tv night.... Thanks for the welcome!

Last edited:

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
No offense Boone, but I would suggest our new friend go with a set of 18x11 rims ( Apex or Forgeline ) for CAMC , as virtually everyone in that Class is running 315s. I am not that smart , but being 60 miles from Lincoln, Nebraska ( Home of the Solo Nationals ) it is easy to see what folks are running in the various Autocross Classes Stangs normally run.

No worries about being a Donkey , as you so politely mentioned, this is not a normal site and you can feel free to ask a ton of questions. No one is going to tell you to go use the " Search Button , " here because we are a very intelligent , astute and open group who realizes things are constantly changing and what was good 3 years ago may not be current or the fast set-up today. Ask away my friend.

No offense Boone, but I would suggest our new friend go with a set of 18x11 rims ( Apex or Forgeline ) for CAMC , as virtually everyone in that Class is running 315s. I am not that smart , but being 60 miles from Lincoln, Nebraska ( Home of the Solo Nationals ) it is easy to see what folks are running in the various Autocross Classes Stangs normally run.

No worries about being a Donkey , as you so politely mentioned, this is not a normal site and you can feel free to ask a ton of questions. No one is going to tell you to go use the " Search Button , " here because we are a very intelligent , astute and open group who realizes things are constantly changing and what was good 3 years ago may not be current or the fast set-up today. Ask away my friend.
CAMC - Im not planning on doing autocross. I would still like to get as much rubber under that car as possible and still have a reasonable camber to put the 20s back on for occasionally nice weather stuff. Would the 315s still work or have to drop down ? I would also like to be able to rotate to maximize life. I have an apex post regarding tire suggestions printed but left at work and can't find now - 305 and 315 were mentioned. l also have the sizing guide printed.

I like to do my own rearch first by nature. It helps me learn the ask for clarifications. In this case now I will be asking if something better has come along. I try to be clean online. Outside of the forums with the guys might be a different story....

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
No problem and I mentioned CAMC as someone else had and my apologies as you did not mention. See , we are so helpful we sometimes answer with things you never asked about, ha. Have fun researching here and when and if you have any questions , many will be happy to help.
Have a great day.

No problem and I mentioned CAMC as someone else had and my apologies as you did not mention. See , we are so helpful we sometimes answer with things you never asked about, ha. Have fun researching here and when and if you have any questions , many will be happy to help.
Have a great day.
I truly appreciate all of the input that you guys offer! I belong to a chainsaw forum- OPE . It's like a big family. Granted there are a few select individuals that are a little more energetic. ( I work at a school so say stuff like that 😂). This forum just from looking around for a couple days is awesome! I wouldn't have joined if it wasn't. I don't have time for BS. Thanks again!

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
You will enjoy it here , plenty of serious track rats, laid back and friendly and only some good natured fun. The best part is we have some very knowledgeable folks here as well as even a few Pro Racers and Pro Race Crew members. Many of the Sponsors are alot more active than on a normal site , so that is beneficial to all of us as we often get info on new products or revisions quite early. Glad you like the Forum so far.

Mark, as some of the other guys have noted, the recommended setup changes as parts development changes, tire availability waxes and wanes, and rules change.
For a dedicated car with stock fenders (no flares) I'd recommend the 18x11 with a 315 tire front and rear.

For a more casual car I'd now recommend a 19x11 wheel with a 305 tire. This setup is closer to the stock tire height and the wide range of 200 treadwear high performance tires makes this an easier size to live with.

We used to recommend the 18" wheels for everyone back when the 19" tires did not exist and there were a handfull of 18" tires available. Since then the 19" size has exploded and the 18" dwindled and often become hard to find in stock.

Norm Peterson

Corner Barstool Sitter
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
a few miles east of Philly
CAMC - Im not planning on doing autocross. I would still like to get as much rubber under that car as possible and still have a reasonable camber to put the 20s back on for occasionally nice weather stuff. Would the 315s still work or have to drop down ? I would also like to be able to rotate to maximize life. I have an apex post regarding tire suggestions printed but left at work and can't find now - 305 and 315 were mentioned. l also have the sizing guide printed.

I like to do my own rearch first by nature. It helps me learn the ask for clarifications. In this case now I will be asking if something better has come along. I try to be clean online. Outside of the forums with the guys might be a different story....
Especially with autocross not being in the plans where you can run afoul of restrictions on wheel and tire sizes, try to peer into the future for sizing them now so you don't later find out that you've limited yourself too much. 11" will give you more room to grow as a driver, and it's beginning to look like much of the better rubber in big enough sizes is in the process of moving up another inch from 18. In 19", you'd probably want to look at tire sizes 5 profile points lower than what you'd look at in 18" for the same width tire.

Norm

Hi there,
I’ve been on here a while and never introduced myself. My names Asir Narvaez I’ve worked as a maintenance mechanic at a Concrete plant in Valley, Nebraska. Currently live in Omaha, Nebraska I own a 2015 Ford Mustang GT had for around 3 years and love it. It’s my weekend/ track car it only sees the track a few times a year but yea. I Also own a “1983 BMW 320i” (aka e21) that I’ve dreamt of turning into a Group 5 inspired build haven’t really started on it yet but I’ll get there eventually. Anyways glad I could join this forum and learning a lot from it to.
Thanks For the Add,

... I Also own a “1983 BMW 320i” (aka e21) that I’ve dreamt of turning into a Group 5 inspired build haven’t really started on it yet but I’ll get there eventually. Anyways glad I could join this forum and learning a lot from it to.

You're not alone with the old iron.

My old 1963 SAAB rally car
164448_4661050411980_1093003664_n-L.jpg

A current project, a '76 2002 that's been parked for 20 years. Pictured as it was extracted from it's cocoon.
IMG_5361-L.jpg

TMO Supporting Vendors