The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Memorable Track Weekend - Learned a lot about the car setup too!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cloud9 said:
5 DOT 0 said:
Thanks. When you have time, no hurry, can you please post links to the brake lines, rotors, and pads you are using? Also where are you buying the tires? TIA
Goodridge SS Brake Lines
Hawk DTC 70 (front) DTC 60 (rear pads)
DBA slotted rotors: 5000 2-piece front and 4000 1-piece rear

I bought the lines and pads from stranoparts.com and the rotors from revanracing.com Both carry all these parts.

I bought the Nittos from discounttiredirect.com and the Hoosiers from Tire Rack and had both of them heat cycled.

I bought the Enkei wheels through a local tire shop and the SVT Laguna Seca wheels from my dealer.

Do you by chance have the part #s for the brake pads? Are the front pads the same on your GT500? I having trouble finding anything listed for our 2012 Boss.

2012Boss said:
How are you strapping down? Through the rims? I plan that unless you have better ideas, don't know if that will scratch the finish. I also saw some short straps that are just long enough to wrap the rear axle and has flat hooks attached to each end to hook into. I like the looks of them and may try that.
I strap the front around the lower control arms. Just make sure you go under the tie rods so there's no pressure on them from the straps. I wouldn't use the wheels as they could cut the straps.

In the rear strap to the rear axle. You need to cross the straps from one side up against the differential to the other side of the trailer. On the passenger side you just go straight over the axle tube to the driver side of the trailer. On the driver side you route one side of the strap over the panhard bar and the other over the sway bar and then strap to the passenger side of the trailer. If you don't route it this way you'll end up with the strap putting pressure on those bars. If you don't cross the straps and just go straight back, your straps will work toward the outside of the car. The panhard bar bracket on the passenger side has a very sharp edge. Once your strap works its way out to that bracket, and the car starts bouncing up and down on your suspension, it becomes a very efficient saw. Ask me how I know ;D

roketman said:
Gary is having all the fun, while the rest of us wait in pain!!
Ok Gary just keep having fun with out us!
As long as you keep posting!
What you don't want to live vicariously through me? ;D C'mon Ford get these guys some cars! :D

BossJockey said:
Do you by chance have the part #s for the brake pads? Are the front pads the same on your GT500? I having trouble finding anything listed for our 2012 Boss.
Yep same as GT500. I noticed they don't list the Boss yet, but the brakes are exactly the same as my 07 GT500.

DTC 70 - Manufacturer Part #: HB453U.585

DTC 60 - Manufacturer Part #: HB485G.656

cloud9 said:
I strap the front around the lower control arms. Just make sure you go under the tie rods so there's no pressure on them from the straps. I wouldn't use the wheels as they could cut the straps.

In the rear strap to the rear axle. You need to cross the straps from one side up against the differential to the other side of the trailer. On the passenger side you just go straight over the axle tube to the driver side of the trailer. On the driver side you route one side of the strap over the panhard bar and the other over the sway bar and then strap to the passenger side of the trailer. If you don't route it this way you'll end up with the strap putting pressure on those bars. If you don't cross the straps and just go straight back, your straps will work toward the outside of the car. The panhard bar bracket on the passenger side has a very sharp edge. Once your strap works its way out to that bracket, and the car starts bouncing up and down on your suspension, it becomes a very efficient saw. Ask me how I know ;D

Good info as always, I was planning this (except the crossing part) but started to see everyone these days using the wheels. I was thinking I was too old school, lol. I have always strapped down cars in this fashion. I do like the little axle wraps that I saw and may give them a try, at the very least they look like they make life easy.

Here is what I was taking about

https://www.truckntow.com/pc-11613-147030-standard-1-ply-axle-strap-w-d-rings-and-wearpad.aspx

I was thinking also about going with the straps that wrap over and around each wheel but you need the tie-down rail build into the trailer floor, don't have that and I am afraid if you run the straps to the side tie downs it will work loose.

cloud9 said:
BossJockey said:
Yep same as GT500. I noticed they don't list the Boss yet, but the brakes are exactly the same as my 07 GT500.

DTC 70 - Manufacturer Part #: HB453U.585

DTC 60 - Manufacturer Part #: HB485G.656

Ordered those pads today from a friend that is a Hawk Distibutor. Now I need to find a set of rotors at a decent price. :)
Slowly but surely, I'll get it ready for the track. 8)

2012Boss said:
Here is what I was taking about

https://www.truckntow.com/pc-11613-147030-standard-1-ply-axle-strap-w-d-rings-and-wearpad.aspx

I was thinking also about going with the straps that wrap over and around each wheel but you need the tie-down rail build into the trailer floor, don't have that and I am afraid if you run the straps to the side tie downs it will work loose.
Yea that's the type of strap I use for the rears, although mine are closer to 36" I believe. I think my front straps are about 5'. I actually drive my front tires just past the diamond plate and hook the fronts straps to the winch and pull it the rest of the way. That way I can load it by myself (tilt bed trailer). Then I just unhook from the winch and connect to the ratchet straps.

Yea if you use the wheel nets or whatever, you need e-track.

Dean#4AI said:
Ordered those pads today from a friend that is a Hawk Distibutor. Now I need to find a set of rotors at a decent price. :)
Slowly but surely, I'll get it ready for the track. 8)
I just clicked over to TireRack to see what they had for options. The only track rotors they showed were the DBA 5000s, but they were on sale right now for $426 a piece. That's a very good price on them, but still expensive. I paid $900 for my first set two years ago.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel