"memory steer" - steering wheel center point changes after a right turn?

Discussion in 'S197 Technical Forum - GT, Boss 302 and GT500' started by Duane Black, May 6, 2019.

1. Duane Black

Duane Black TMO Race

STrange issue.. you can kind of see it in this 360 video of Charlotte on the infield straightaway... my hands are turned a little more to the right after the two right hand turns leading to that straight than they are ont he back straight.

I noticed this past week and again this morning that if I took a right turn, the car comes back to straight, but the steering wheel will be a few degrees to the right. After a left curve, the wheel goes back to it's traditional center point and usually stays there until you make a right turn, not a right curve, again.

I've known "memory steer" to be a thing with caster camber plates binding -y et the car is going straight after the turn.

The only other thing that might be connected is that after the last track day, the steering wheel had a little groan when you made a right, but it went away when the car cooled back down.

I shook everything on the ground, no noises, nothing felt odd. I shook it again in the air, nothing feels wrong.

2. ArizonaBOSS

ArizonaBOSS Because racecar. Moderator

That is a weird one. Do you feel any loss of power assist? Wheel bearings/ball joints/tie rods not showing excessive play?

3. Duane Black

Duane Black TMO Race

Nothing feels wrong, nothing feels out of play, other than the return position, it doesn't seem to be hurt.

The only cause I can think of is I bent something when I ran out of RF suspension travel on the 2nd or 3rd lap going around NASCAR 3-4. It happened a few more times and I never noticed it until that session.

4. Duane Black

Duane Black TMO Race

I checked the toe alignment with angle iron and a tape measure. It looks to be 1/16th toed in - should be 0. I hope it's not a steering rack failure blooming! I'm thinking something slightly bent to affect alignment?