The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

"memory steer" - steering wheel center point changes after a right turn?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duane Black

Curbs go brrrppp
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Durham, NC
STrange issue.. you can kind of see it in this 360 video of Charlotte on the infield straightaway... my hands are turned a little more to the right after the two right hand turns leading to that straight than they are ont he back straight.

I noticed this past week and again this morning that if I took a right turn, the car comes back to straight, but the steering wheel will be a few degrees to the right. After a left curve, the wheel goes back to it's traditional center point and usually stays there until you make a right turn, not a right curve, again.

I've known "memory steer" to be a thing with caster camber plates binding -y et the car is going straight after the turn.

The only other thing that might be connected is that after the last track day, the steering wheel had a little groan when you made a right, but it went away when the car cooled back down.

I shook everything on the ground, no noises, nothing felt odd. I shook it again in the air, nothing feels wrong.

Duane Black

Curbs go brrrppp
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Durham, NC
Nothing feels wrong, nothing feels out of play, other than the return position, it doesn't seem to be hurt.

The only cause I can think of is I bent something when I ran out of RF suspension travel on the 2nd or 3rd lap going around NASCAR 3-4. It happened a few more times and I never noticed it until that session.

Duane Black

Curbs go brrrppp
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Durham, NC
I checked the toe alignment with angle iron and a tape measure. It looks to be 1/16th toed in - should be 0. I hope it's not a steering rack failure blooming! I'm thinking something slightly bent to affect alignment?

TMO Supporting Vendors