The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Mercedes F1's DAS steering system

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ludachris

Chris
Staff member
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Newcastle, CA
I'm sure some of you have already seen or heard about this...

Pretty cool to see teams still trying new things like this. Of course, the FIA has already said that the system will be banned for 2021 - no surprise there. It's too bad they continue to stifle innovation. I get that they need to keep costs down for the smaller teams, but it's really fun seeing engineers build systems like this. This is why all the critics keep bashing F1, referring to it as a spec series. That criticism is understandable. This isn't a pinewood derby car race. Before long, the teams will be given instructions that will force them to build the exact same car.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
I'm thinking DAS may have been implemented to quell some of Lewis' concerns about tire longevity. Depending on the effectiveness, this could eliminate a pit stop or at least extend the interval between stops so Mercedes have more flexibility.

And since it's directly controlled by the driver (and one more thing for the driver to manage), it's not a "driver aid".

Duane Black

Curbs go brrrppp
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Durham, NC
The Mercedes tire wear was better than Ferrari... how many times was Ferrari forced to use hards while Mercedes put on mediums?

To the outward observer, the weakness of hte car to me appeared to be the heat. It seemed like they were more affected by the record heat in Austria, the hot and humid Singapore, and the late summer races like Hungary where Verstappen mounted a heck of a charge against Hamilton, and Monza/Spa were hot as well, but admittedly power for Ferrari was probably the major advantage there.

TMO Supporting Vendors