Metal Valve Stems

Discussion in 'Brakes, Wheels and Tires' started by Berol, Sep 8, 2014.

1. Berol

Berol TMO Race

Looking for metal valve stems for my track wheels. Running Ford Racing 18x9.5 wheels with Continental slicks on all corners. For the moment, I have Ford TPMS on each wheel.

I cut a rubber valve stem at VIR earlier this year. Luckily I made it back to the paddock before it created a real problem. However, I've got 5 track days in October and I'd like to prevent this from happening again.

I know alot of you use metal valve stems. Any links to share for purchase? Or do you just get them when you have the tires mounted/balanced at the tire shop? If they work with my existing TPMS, then great. If not, then I can do without the TPMS too. They actually did me no good at VIR earlier this year.

Thanks in advance,
    Dan

2. VoodooBoss

VoodooBoss Rick Moderator

Last edited: Jun 3, 2017
  3. Berol

Berol TMO Race

Thanks Rick. I tried a search but it turned up empty. Appreciate the help, this is what I was looking for.

4. Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter Gotta go Faster

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2017
  5. wwilde001

wwilde001 TMO Addict

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2017
  6. blacksheep-1

blacksheep-1 TMO Addict

Here's something I don't know about tires/wheels, my 07 GT500 apparently comes with band type TPMS sensors, will the new "valve stem mounted" TPMS sensors interchange and will they talk to the ECM?
    I'm looking at new wheels is why I ask.

7. Grant 302

Grant 302 OPM Spent: $587,402 Moderator

I don't think so. IIRC, one of my friends tried with a set of my wheels on an '08 and it didn't work. Wasn't there in person, but that was my understanding.

8. Bill Pemberton

Bill Pemberton TMO Addict

I imagine we will hear from Apex on this issue soon, as pretty sure they have both for sale --- stems with or without sensors?

9. DaveW

DaveW TMO Intermediate

Yes, it will work. We convert these all the time. I don't remember which frequency the band sensors were, but you obviously have to match the frequency on the new ones and unless you clone the old ID codes, you will have to relearn the sensors to the car. You need the Ford TPMS trigger thingey or a scan tool to do this.

On metal stems for cars with sensors, be aware that the stems aren't universal. The Dill ones listed in the other thread will work for the Ford sensors and obviously Dill brand, but probably won't for other brands. A lot of shops use more universal type sensors that match their TPMS scan tool brand so they can get more coverage with less inventory. These work great (that is what I use) but Autel sensors have to use Autel stems. SmartSensor sensors have to use Smart stems, etc.

HTH,

DaveW

Bill Pemberton likes this.
  10. Bill Pemberton

Bill Pemberton TMO Addict

Dave is a pretty quiet guy, but I can say with conviction, he definitely has expertise in this area. I hope he posts more often, as he is a Mustang fanatic and his company sells a ton of stuff for racers and autocrossers ------- we all love when he shows up at NASA racing events and SCCA autocross events here in the Midwest ( though he has customers all over the Country!!)

Jump in here more often Dave, your knowledge is super valuable to many of us, and thanks for all the help you have given me over the years.