The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

MGW Gen 1 VS Race Spec - A value discussion

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xr7

TMO Addict?
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Minnesota
I read the BFR bracket was the source of NVH in conjunction with standard shifters *shrug*

Speaking of that should i go through the trouble of a Trans bushing if i have a direct mount shifter? My thoughts are no to allow added dampening in the trans and shifter to reduce likely hood of NVH concerns. Now that i have a direct mount, the shift can move with no impact on shift quality.

Install the shifter and forget the trans bushing, I have the bushing and it didn't fix anything. The MGW Race Spec shifter is the cure. Anything else is just a band-aid and a waste of money. NVH is not an issue. When you grab onto to this shifter there isn't any slop or flex. Your hanging onto the transmission now. As I have said before I don't know what they were thinking of when they put that OEM shifter in the Boss.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Gotta jump in here as I have known George for over 20 years, and he is one of the most anal inventors I have ever known...........and being anal is the ultimate compliment in my mind. George has this crazy flaw in his character of never being satisfied with even his most perfect creation so he just continues to pick at them to make them better and better! There are vehicles out there that George makes shifters for that he wants kept unknown, but I can confidently say that a Gen 1 to the Race Spec is going from Grade School to graduating from College. George just never stops ( and he has had a ton of personal Mustangs to build upon ) perfecting his masterpieces. Maryland Gun Works ( the name MGW comes from ) , built precision armaments for the Government and many well known Manufacturers , and still does for companies like Glock ( for instance ). Performance car shifters and more became his secondary passion and now today comprise a major part of the business.Know that he is a Blue Oval fan, and you are getting a product that honestly has love of performance in it's DNA , making a life's work and business from having been endowed with the chromosomes of a rabid Machinehead.

Spend the money , George already spent the time to make the best , even better!

The beast below has an MGW Shifter, of course!

Last edited:
Maine Gun Works
Bill - Your post should be changed to read "Maryland Gun Works". George's father started their business up here in Frederick Maryland many years ago and then moved to Georgia as it was becoming too expensive to operate a business in Maryland. Anyway, I agree with you regarding George's anal retentive nature. I have met with him at his shop in Augusta Georgia on 2 occasions. I can also attest that George's MGW website does not even begin to mention all his engineering iterations he has made to his world class shifters. He installed both my Gen 1 and later the Race Spec shifter when it first became available. I let you in on a secret, my Race Gen MGW shifter George installed is different in design then the current Race Spec shifter that is available on his site now. I purchased mine weeks before he announced the Race Spec iteration and then he further modified the design after he installed this design in my car. Long story short is that everything he makes is awesome from an engineering standpoint. I truly believe if you have a Gen 1 or any iteration of his shifters this is more than adequate to meet the demands of a stout short throw shifter for any high performance vehicle he makes shifters for. His stuff is just out of the world good in quality and performance. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
I agree , there was no intent to take away anything from his Dad's brilliance , as it is apparent that George's skill, work ethic , etc. was fostered and nurtured by his Dad. The move into the automotive area was primarily George's forte, and that was my intention of what to dwell on. Their success is a great family business story, where a very talented father built a unique business and then saw it grow with his son's involvement. I know there is a wonderful closeness between the two and George gives a lot of credit for his abilities to his father. Thanks for your input and I think folks now know that they need to get the Race Spec system. Of course , changed my typing too fast error and put to the correct State ( Maryland , not Maine - not sure where that brain fart even came from? )

PS - laughed about the secret on your shifter ,as have had a few models in some of my Vipers that were in between production builds - George just keeps looking for improvements no matter how small.

Last edited:
I agree , there was no intent to take away anything from his Dad's brilliance , as it is apparent that George's skill, work ethic , etc. was fostered and nurtured by his Dad. The move into the automotive area was primarily George's forte, and that was my intention of what to dwell on. Their success is a great family business story, where a very talented father built a unique business and then saw it grow with his son's involvement. I know there is a wonderful closeness between the two and George gives a lot of credit for his abilities to his father. Thanks for your input and I think folks now know that they need to get the Race Spec system. Of course , changed my typing too fast error and put to the correct State ( Maryland , not Maine - not sure where that brain fart even came from? )

PS - laughed about the secret on your shifter ,as have had a few models in some of my Vipers that were in between production builds - George just keeps looking for improvements no matter how small.
Not to beat a dead horse Bill, but I agree pretty much with everything you are saying. I am of the belief that everything George Camillo manufactures is damn good not matter what version it is. It's like buying clothing. You have your favorite clothing company that you always buy your shirts from because of their quality. Say you have a favorite blue shirt with 1 pocket you purchased from this particular manufacturer. Next time you go to the store the same shirt company now has a brown shirt with 2 pockets. Neither shirt is better than the other. But both shirts are different in some small way. This is how you should view George's shifters. They're all very good but they have their differences. Quality never suffers at MGW. When I visited George's operation in Augusta Georgia it is was a real eye opener. In his shop he has transmissions sitting in storage for every car he manufactures a shifter for. He uses these transmissions as a mockup to help him design and test-out his shifters. The day I was there he had a MT82 transmission already sitting in a test stand. On this trans he had his newly designed (at that time) race-spec shifter installed. As a demonstration for me to see just how stout his products are he rolled in a engine hoist and proceeded to strap up this transmission that was sitting in the stand. He attached the straps just to the race-spec shifter alone. There were no other attachments straps to this assembly. He proceeded to hoist this assembly out of test stand totally supported just by the race-spec shifter. Here you had this few hundred pound assembly lifted totally out of the test stand that was just supported by the shifter alone! Wow! George just wanted to demo just how stout his new design was. If you had done this with the OEM shifter, the OEM shifter would have broken. This little demo gave me insight into just how committed this guy is to his products and how innovative he is. There is no doubt in my mind all his shifters will out live any car they are installed in.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
The perfect word was used in this note ...............committed! I have teased George over the years that he needs to be committed, as his pursuit of perfection is borderline nuts. But it is also his genius and genuine concern for superior quality. You probably saw some of the things they do for Gun Manufacturers, and I am sure those guys all love the work MGW does for them?! Agree , all his products are unreal, the difference is he is never satisfied so they do just get better along the way.

Well ... that certainly explains why using the MGW race spec shifter in my car feels like using a precision bolt action rifle! It just ooozes with quality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChrisM

Mostly harmless.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
South Carolina
He attached the straps just to the race-spec shifter alone. There were no other attachments straps to this assembly. He proceeded to hoist this assembly out of test stand totally supported just by the race-spec shifter. Here you had this few hundred pound assembly lifted totally out of the test stand that was just supported by the shifter alone! Wow!

That's incredible. I have both the MGW wallet and shifter and as far as I'm concerned MGW is the only shifter available. All the others, including OEM, are just children's toys.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel