The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

MGW Gen 3 Shifter

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hey Ultra keep us posted when you get it. I'm interested on the install difficulty level for an average Joe (or Bob) on ramps in the garage.

Ultrakla$$ic said:
Thanks for moving this.

Can't wait to get this shifter!!!

Thanks George for the awesome product!!!

Ultrakla$$ic

ωιℓℓ ωσяк ƒσя ωнιρρℓє!!!!
Calif boss302 said:
Hey Ultra keep us posted when you get it. I'm interested on the install difficulty level for an average Joe (or Bob) on ramps in the garage.

Will do!! I got my tracking number already and my car is up in the air on jackstands in my shop now.

I'm a bit concerned on the bolts on top of the trans because I have the BOSS intake that sits close to the firewall so lowering the trans may prove a challenge for lack of clearance between the intake and firewall.

Other than that, I'm STOKED about the design.

Ultrakla$$ic

Here is the youtube video from MGW regarding the Gen3 RACE SPEC shifter:

[YOUTUBE]jdlpP0LDpkk[/YOUTUBE]

I started taking out the older MGW shifter, making a way for the new MGW Gen3 RACE SPEC shifter headed my way. Here is a pic of this behemoth of mechanical engineering:

1417029278_zps2bec08f2.jpg

First let me say you better pray you have small hands. Fat handed folks are going to be in a bind. LOL

You will HAVE to lower the transmission to get to this 10mm bolt here. NO OTHER WAY AROUND IT!!!!!

1417282529_zps36253b49.jpg

I used and old scissor jack and a piece of 2x4 to shim the transmission and hold it in a lowered position while I removed that bolt.

1417282526_zps37bc0144.jpg

To get the little noise suppressant "cup" out of the shifter linkage arm I used a small screwdriver and pryed/worked it out from the BOTTOM of the cup, like so:

1417283856_zpsf971068f.jpg

You can do it like the MGW video describes by grabbing it by the little holes but I'm gonna say there are going to be ALOT of destroyed plastic cups by doing it that way if you do not handle it tediously like MGW suggests. . The way I did it kept the little cup from tearing along the thin plastic that runs across the top of the cup that was suggested for prying on.

Cup is out with ZERO evidence of distress on the thin plastic around the holes:

1417283854_zps3ae1a3db.jpg

My shifter will be here Monday so I'll finish the install then.:clap:

Finally, a thread by Darren that isn't off topic lol. Looking forward to see what you uncover when you get this thing installed and take it out for a drive.

Ultrakla$$ic

Here's how the Blowfish parts came to me after having to practically beg to get it mailed to me: C

THE WORST TRANSACTION EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1410482570_zpsb8a908e2.jpg

Here's how the MGW shifter came to me in 2 days after ordering without a single hassle AT ALL!!!!:

1417453888_zps99d9d6fa.jpg

1417453886_zps5636116e.jpg

1417453878_zpsfba0ad11.jpg

I would definitely install the Whiteline trans mount bushing and urethane engine mounts if you are going to install one of these. Otherwise all the stress from the transmission and engine moving in the squishy mounts will transfer to the shifter support arm and mounting points since you still bolt the shifter box to the chassis. Pairing this with a new version of the BR bracket would probably be ultimate solution. It pisses me off that we even have to invest so much time and money to prevent transmission damage caused by them catering to NVH nannies. Just to drive the car as intended...

Nice write up so far Daren . . . Keep us posted. I'm watching this one from the Bleachers as so far I'm pretty happy with my 2014 version of the MGW. But I have to say I'm a sucker for cool engineering and this new shifter looks way cool. I'll be following this thread closely for the road report.

Ultrakla$$ic said:
Here is the youtube video from MGW regarding the Gen3 RACE SPEC shifter:

[YOUTUBE]jdlpP0LDpkk[/YOUTUBE]

I started taking out the older MGW shifter, making a way for the new MGW Gen3 RACE SPEC shifter headed my way. Here is a pic of this behemoth of mechanical engineering:

1417029278_zps2bec08f2.jpg

First let me say you better pray you have small hands. Fat handed folks are going to be in a bind. LOL

You will HAVE to lower the transmission to get to this 10mm bolt here. NO OTHER WAY AROUND IT!!!!!

1417282529_zps36253b49.jpg

I used and old scissor jack and a piece of 2x4 to shim the transmission and hold it in a lowered position while I removed that bolt.

1417282526_zps37bc0144.jpg

To get the little noise suppressant "cup" out of the shifter linkage arm I used a small screwdriver and pryed/worked it out from the BOTTOM of the cup, like so:

1417283856_zpsf971068f.jpg

You can do it like the MGW video describes by grabbing it by the little holes but I'm gonna say there are going to be ALOT of destroyed plastic cups by doing it that way if you do not handle it tediously like MGW suggests. . The way I did it kept the little cup from tearing along the thin plastic that runs across the top of the cup that was suggested for prying on.

Cup is out with ZERO evidence of distress on the thin plastic around the holes:

1417283854_zps3ae1a3db.jpg

My shifter will be here Monday so I'll finish the install then.:clap:

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
+1 on the write up.

I have worked with Steve a few times. Always top line service.

Looks like he/his team had a bad day. That sucks.

Very interested in hearing how the new MGW unit works compared to the Blowfish bracket and older versions of the MGW shifter.

Did you have a chance to use the older version with the bracket?

More Parts/Crack on the list. Oh well. LOL.

Ultrakla$$ic

Guys, I just report MY experience. I try not to take UNNECESSARY jabs at vendors, but we all work very hard for our money and want to at least be TREATED right and with respect. Not like some stupid newb throwing money at his car. Ok, secondly, the MGW is EXTREMELY rigid after fastened in place. ZERO movement from the shifter box.......laterally, horizonally, ZERO, ZIP, NOTTA! You could literally hang the whole weight of your body on this setup from underneath the car and it WILL NOT MOVE.

More pics:

1417459933_zps373d796a.jpg
1417459924_zps87addc54.jpg
1417459911_zpsf107741f.jpg
1417459902_zps89457b4c.jpg

All buttoned up from underneath. Tip: when it comes time to put the shifter box in place and bolt it up to the linkages, access it' s position from INSIDE the car and drop it down through the hole in the floorboard. Don't even try to work it around the driveshaft and in place, just go inside the car and drop it down through the hole.

THIS setup seems like it's going to be the ABSOLUTE answer. I'm not adding anything to this setup at all. MGW RACE SPEC shifter and that's it. No bracket, no bushings, no nothing.

Very cool . . . have you had a chance to road test yet? Remind us did you have the MGW or stock shifter before this new version??

Ultrakla$$ic said:
All buttoned up from underneath. Tip: when it comes time to put the shifter box in place and bolt it up to the linkages, access it' s position from INSIDE the car and drop it down through the hole in the floorboard. Don't even try to work it around the driveshaft and in place, just go inside the car and drop it down through the hole.

THIS setup seems like it's going to be the ABSOLUTE answer. I'm not adding anything to this setup at all. MGW RACE SPEC shifter and that's it. No bracket, no bushings, no nothing.

Ultrakla$$ic

Calif boss302 said:
Very cool . . . have you had a chance to road test yet? Remind us did you have the MGW or stock shifter before this new version??

I had the MGW shifter and BF bracket which I personally did not experience any of the NVH horrors others reported. Mine was quiet as stock. The one thing I personally did NOT like about the BF bracket was that the rear of the car was "suspended" in the air and had to be raised or lowered to titrate it to NVH. I wanted a complete rigid mechanically sound setup that was as close to OEM as possible but fix the problems of grinding and missed shifts.

I've yet to drive it because I'm taking pics and reporting as I actually finish the install. LOL

WinterSucks said:
I would definitely install the Whiteline trans mount bushing and urethane engine mounts if you are going to install one of these. Otherwise all the stress from the transmission and engine moving in the squishy mounts will transfer to the shifter support arm and mounting points since you still bolt the shifter box to the chassis. Pairing this with a new version of the BR bracket would probably be ultimate solution. It pisses me off that we even have to invest so much time and money to prevent transmission damage caused by them catering to NVH nannies. Just to drive the car as intended...

The Race Spec only mounts to the body to reduce NVH not to actually stabilize the unit.

Great write-up, I know you did some initial prep before you got the piece but can you speculate on how long it took to remove everything and install the Race Spec?

Ultrakla$$ic said:
Here's how the Blowfish parts came to me after having to practically beg to get it mailed to me: C

THE WORST TRANSACTION EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1410482570_zpsb8a908e2.jpg

Here's how the MGW shifter came to me in 2 days after ordering without a single hassle AT ALL!!!!:

1417453888_zps99d9d6fa.jpg

1417453886_zps5636116e.jpg

1417453878_zpsfba0ad11.jpg

no need for slaming another fourm member and vendor. I want to read your findings on the new MGW sense you had the BF bracket also. Please just report on the new MGW race spec shifter and Kindly leave your feelings with other members and vendors out. It will make for much better reading sense you are paving the way for the rest of us. thank you in advance for taking the time to post all steps reguarding the install. Now on to the GOOD Stuff. Before you post your findings...Do you run the stock clutch? thats the only thing that IMO would be game changer...So Post away with your NEW MGW RACE SPEC> SHIFTER. please dont leave anything out.

Thank You in Advance

Ultrakla$$ic said:
I've yet to drive it because I'm taking pics and reporting as I actually finish the install. LOL

Yeah .... That's the reason :p

Please beat the car within an inch of it's life. I'm talking trying to chirp the tires in 3rd and 4th gear and go around some turns so fast you think you are going to flip the f***ing thing.

Please ;D

Ultrakla$$ic

1417467867_zps6970ba41.jpg

Almost done!! Getting that boot on is by far the WORST part of the whole project!!!!!!

This thing is SOLID!!!!!!!!!

1417469160_zps32e7651d.jpg

SOLID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OMG!!!!!!! MGW knocked it out of the park with this setup!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! smoooooooooooooooooooooooooooth as butta in ALL gears!!!!!! You can't even hear the shifter going through the gears AT ALL it's so quiet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

Absolute WINNER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lastly, I tell it like I see it. I would want know someone's personal experience with a vendor so I can spend my money elsewhere. I post the good and the bad.

This RACE SPEC shifter setup is THE fix for missed shifts and grinding gears!!!!!! TOTALLY transforms the gear box!!!!!!!!! Thanks MGW!!!!

Nice write up Daren and thanks for all the pics and info. Sounds like George has a winner on his hands with this one. I'm personally on the fence with mine. I like the idea of a solid mounted shifter, but man not looking forward to crawling under the car again especially that dang shifter boot re-install. LOL!

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
In one of your posts you mentioned dropping the shifter through the hole in the floor. Sounds like a great solution to fishing the shifter around the drive shaft. Always fun on a creeper!! Lift is coming this summer.

Is this the shifter with the upper brace already mounted? Just the shifter with shaft?

Thanks for doing the work and posting your findings.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel