The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

MGW Gen 3 Shifter

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ultrakla$$ic

ωιℓℓ ωσяк ƒσя ωнιρρℓє!!!!
The shifter box is an all-in-one setup now where the shifter gear selector linkage and box are machined as one piece. By far the hardest part of this install is getting the shifter boot on and sitting flush. This shifter is 100x's easier to install versus the older versions IMO. Lowering the trans is easy, removing nuts and bolts and putting things back together. Nothing to really line up because it lines up as you assemble it all.

Is it expensive? Yes, it is, but I would have gladly spent this money initially and been done. Overall, this is how it worked out for me:

I sold my Blowjob Bracket for $180 and then I traded in my MGW Gen 1 shifter for $200 so the RACE SPEC only cost me $120 to upgrade to.

With George doing the buy back option, it was a win-win situation for previous MGW owners. I can't believe he even offered to do that. AMAZING customer service and loyalty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THE BEST IN THE BUSINESS IMO!!

Lots of positive will come from this shifter from the community members I'm sure.

I just installed mine(going from an MGW gen 1) and road tested it: ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT! It is solid, shifts smoothly all the way to high RPM and NVH is completely negligible compared to the whiteline bracket, etc. Agree/Concur with all Ultrakla$$ic comments above!

I did have to remember to ask for the gold rear softer mount bracket as I guess the shifter doesn't include it (maybe because I did the gen 1 upgrade purchase?) and my old one was the black firm one which won't work. It also only has the fine thread ball mount and I have to call them to get the course thread for my custom MGW ball.

A couple install tips: Total install time about 1-1/4hours (after subtracting my shifter boot issues--see tip below). Oh, and did this under car without a lift easily.

1. Had to drop transmission almost 2 inches as the forward bolt on the shifter rod is about 3 inches long and needs it. I loosened both bolts without dropping trans and thought I was onto something but then couldn't remove top/forward bolt without lowering trans.

2. Agree on dropping the shifter box through the top opening then bolting onto the shift linkage first, then mounting rod second.

3. Here is my tip on the shifter boot. (by the way, this shifter reverts back to using the stock shifter boot and won't use the early Gen 1 boot) I tried to install the lower inside portion of the boot around the upper shifter base in the car and messed with it for over an hour getting nowhere. This is much easier to install the boot onto the upper shifter mechanism OUT OF THE VEHICLE as it then took me 2 minutes and then I installed the stick top section to the bottom box that was already installed in the car. You DO have to put the shifter top on first WITHOUT the boot to adjust the 1-2 adjustment pin as I had to screw it out about 1 to 1 1/2 turn to get the smooth 1-2 shift and then I removed it(top section) to put the boot on it. I could get to the bolts and line everything up around the boot easily.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
Moto:

Good info, and one question, can you reuse the Gen 1 Heat Shield on the new race unit? I have another week or so before I get freed up for my install. Looking forward to it. Thanks,
Dave
2HP

This doesn't show up on MGW's website yet. Even with the MGW and BF bracket, I don't think I'm at 100% shift quality yet. I'd like to get more info, especially the buy-back program. I'm not really in a rush though...due to winter.

buland

One of the rare Boss LS in Switzerland
i ordered mine this week by e-mail.

@Boss0960: write an e-mail to MGW and you get an answer to all your questions.

302 Hi Pro said:
Moto:

Good info, and one question, can you reuse the Gen 1 Heat Shield on the new race unit? Thanks,
Dave
2HP

No. The lower box comes preassembled and does not have studs anymore to attach the heat shield.

I couldn't resist the trade-in program, so I ordered up the new "Race Spec" to replace my 2014 MGW shifter, received unit in only a couple days, and swapped out yesterday. Install was easy (no car lift), and I too am very impressed with design and function of this baby. I thought the previous version was great, but after a spirited test drive, the shifts are even more smooth and crisp. No increased noise or vibration, and the clunky shifts (I thought were from the two-piece driveshaft) are gone. Also, had a quick question during install and sent George an email, he replied a short time later, and even gave me his cell number for additional questions (on Christmas Day)!

MGW... Great company! Ordered my Race Spec. Unwrapped it and one of the shift rod bushings got broken somehow during shipping. Contacted George the day after Christmas. Even though the shop is technically shut down, received a replacement today. Customer service like that can not be beat. Used the BF bracket and did not get any extra NVH using the stock or standard MGW shifter. Stock shifter with the BF bracket? Night and day difference. Get it. Get it autographed. Standard MGW with BF bracket? Blue bracket not needed. MGW Race Spec? Very nice! Thanks MGW.

buland said:
today I've installed the MGW Race Spec Shifter. it was an 2 hour job with the uninstall from the Blowfish shifter fix first.
Unfortunately i can't do a testdrive because the damn snow. the hardest part for me was the install from the upper shifter part in the lower shifter box.

P1010894_zpsbb546076.jpg
P1010902_zps55507431.jpg
P1010906_zpse1c15e47.jpg
P1010908_zpsf816b5a1.jpg
P1010911_zps42603e0e.jpg
P1010918_zps76c0c029.jpg
P1010919_zpsc0c8b865.jpg
P1010920_zps7d62c6cb.jpg
P1010929_zps9ebbd5cb.jpg
P1010931_zps7f4d59e0.jpg
P1010934_zpsc01f1080.jpg
P1010939_zps881af8c4.jpg
P1010941_zps71681a7e.jpg
P1010942_zpsf5693eb4.jpg
P1010945_zps3c54cc98.jpg

and by the way i installed also the trans cooler air scoop
P1010949_zpsd008c86c.jpg
P1010946_zpsdc0549b1.jpg

If anyone could please explain the buyback program please do. Can one order the new one and get the sellback once the old one is returned or does it have to be returned before the new one goes out?

How much is the buyback?

Also what is the price of the new shifter?

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
The core exchange was $200. The Race Spec Shifter was $487

MGW only charged me $299 and was very accommodating in waiting for the return. I told them it may be February and George was okay with that. I got mine installed sooner than I thought and am sending back the Gen I one I had on Monday.

By the way, the Race Spec shifter is fantastically smooth, feels solid without any new vibration and going through the gears like a dream. It's too damn cold and snowy here in Denver to race test it but so far, I am completely drinking the Koolaide.

PS: Shipping and handling was $12 - thus the math issue from line one and two.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
TymeSlayer said:

MGW only charged me $299 and was very accommodating in waiting for the return. I told them it may be February and George was okay with that. I got mine installed sooner than I thought and am sending back the Gen I one I had on Monday.

By the way, the Race Spec shifter is fantastically smooth, feels solid without any new vibration and going through the gears like a dream. It's too damn cold and snowy here in Denver to race test it but so far, I am completely drinking the Koolaide.

Kirk:

No, your not on the Koolaide, the new MGW Race Spec Shifter is actually that good. Even over our Gen I shifters. I installed mine on Friday and it is pure joy now shifting my Boss 302.

Hope your weather improves a bit so you can get a better feel for new shifter.

Enjoy,
Dave
2 HP

TymeSlayer said:

PS: Shipping and handling was $12 - thus the math issue from line one and two.

Sorry to beat a dead horse but wanting to get a clear understanding of this:

Core Exchange is $200 and they will only charge you $299 when shipping out the new shifter? They DO NOT need the old one first?

Just wanting to know so I can either plan to begin taking the old one out or await the new one.

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
SUPRMN said:
Sorry to beat a dead horse but wanting to get a clear understanding of this:

Core Exchange is $200 and they will only charge you $299 when shipping out the new shifter? They DO NOT need the old one first?

Just wanting to know so I can either plan to begin taking the old one out or await the new one.

Correct. I am just sending mine back now. Received my Race Spec one before Christmas. I suppose George has your credit card info should you decide to forget to ship back the old one. Also keep in mind you'll pay the cost of shipping the old one back. I think that was about $11-$12 for me in Colorado.

302 Hi Pro said:
Kirk:

No, your not on the Koolaide, the new MGW Race Spec Shifter is actually that good. Even over our Gen I shifters. I installed mine on Friday and it is pure joy now shifting my Boss 302.

Hope your weather improves a bit so you can get a better feel for new shifter.

Enjoy,
Dave
2 HP
Just wait until Gen 4 and 5 comes out!

Does anyone have George's email address as I've tried to email them using the address located on their webpage and my email gets sent back every time saying that it was undeliverable. If anybody could help out I would greatly appreciated it.

Thanks again guys.

buland

One of the rare Boss LS in Switzerland
azazell64 said:
Does anyone have George's email address as I've tried to email them using the address located on their webpage and my email gets sent back every time saying that it was undeliverable. If anybody could help out I would greatly appreciated it.

Thanks again guys.

Back in December this Address works fine:

[email protected]

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel