The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

MGW installed, excessive noise

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaliMR said:
I will need to come visit you so you can teach me the proper way to do it then ;D

The only manual I had that I really abused was my 69 Charger. I didn't even use the clutch, I shifted it like a motorcycle.

It's all in practice, lucky for me I had that Corvair and a Volkswagon to practice on before I got into the mucle cars. Those 2 cars you could't hurt no matter what you did to them I believe.

That Charger had to be a riot to drive with a stick, it did have the pistol grip shifter didn't it?

On the subject of the MGW shifter, I went on their web site and watched all their videos of the the install and how and why they did what they did with their design. From the looks of the stock Boss internals of the shifter, I may want to get the MGW "before" I go bangin' any gears!

MGW has put a lot of thought into it and it looks like a top quality product.

It was a mutt, originally an auto car but somewhere along the line converted to the Hemi 4 spd. It had a Hurst T handle shifter. It also had 4.80 posi gears, centerforce clutch, carb and intake upgrade, and some other goodies but the body was so rusted out you could put your hand through some spots and it was spray painted Petty blue. Which is why I was able to afford it. Many reenactments of the Dukes of Hazzard using fertilizer piles at the local farms as ramps were had ;D

CaliMR said:
It was a mutt, originally an auto car but somewhere along the line converted to the Hemi 4 spd. It had a Hurst T handle shifter. It also had 4.80 posi gears, centerforce clutch, carb and intake upgrade, and some other goodies but the body was so rusted out you could put your hand through some spots and it was spray painted Petty blue. Which is why I was able to afford it. Many reenactments of the Dukes of Hazzard using fertilizer piles at the local farms as ramps were had ;D

That sounds like a blast!

That Hemi alone would be worth a ton today. After driving a car like that the Boss must seem tame in comparison.

More on the MGW shifter:
I talked to them about it and yes, it still sounds like a fantastic shifter. I was told however that the Trans in the Boss is not really intended for powershifting and is more directed towards roadracing. They said if I intended on doing a lot of drag racing, powershifting etc., that the GT500 Trans would be a better bet.

Now, they have me wondering if I should even attempt it. I noticed on all the videos of anyone drag racing the Boss, that none powershifted.

Anyone out there powershifting their Boss's without issues?

It had a 440 that had a little work done to it, not a Hemi. It just had the Hemi tranny swapped in. Made a decent profit selling off the rear end and wheels and stuff before selling the shell to a guy who does restorations. He didn't want any of the add ons as he was returning it to stock configuration.

The Boss is a better car in every way. No comparison. It has a few things that I need to sort out like the wonky shifter but I wouldn't trade it for any other car I have ever driven.

I added some more sound deading and what I had felt was excessive noise before is now totally acceptable. I love the way this shifter works, 100 times better than stock!

shu2ski said:
I added some more sound deading and what I had felt was excessive noise before is now totally acceptable. I love the way this shifter works, 100 times better than stock!

Have you powershifted with the MGW yet?

Before talking with them at MGW I was under the impression that the new 6-speed was a stouter transmission than the 3650 in my Mach1 but they said it was a stronger trans and could take the powershifting better than the newer 6-speeds.

When I put the MGW in my 2011 V6 Supercharged car. I was careful to install the boot and sound deadening material provided and even used the factory provided material. It was louder but IMO mainly because of the improved stiffer rear mount. The stock rear mount is flexible and designed to give support while dissipating or absorbing noise. For this reason there is more deflection and the shifter is not as accurate as it should be. However once you experience the MGW which includes the replacement rear mount, the benefits far out weigh a little sound. Besides, I bet all of you have experimented with the side pipe disks haven't you? It's a race car it's supposed to be noisy!!

The MT 82 Getrag is either a poorly designed transmission or constructed with substandard materials or both. "made in China" pretty well sums it up. Ford will repair or replace it if you have a significant failure but there is no known fix that I am aware of. Certainly no plans to re-call as re-calls usually are specific to safety issues. In this case I believe the NHTSB already ruled that the complaints of consumers stating the transmission would not down shift accurately therefore placing them in harms way were not significant enough to rule in there favor. Try it for your self. Down shift aggressively at different speeds and gears. The factory shifter combined with the MT 82 is CRAP. Once I installed the MGW the downshifts were much more accurate and power shifting was dead on.

Another thought reference to all the trouble with the MT 82. If the stock shifter is not as firm or accurate how does that effect the shift process inside the transmission. Because the MGW is much better it's got to make a difference in the longevity of the transmission.

There will be a better aftermarket replacement transmission available once the warranties have run out and someone can make some money on it. Until then were FXXXXD. We really needed the NHTSB ruling to be in our favor.

My MGW for the Boss is on it's way and none too soon. Get yours you won't regret it.

EDIT: 3-2-12 MGW is in and working well. Purchased and installed the heat shield and hardly any noise increase.

CaliMR said:
Not something I plan to do with this car, even with a NLS code in the ecu and modern syncros it is still really hard on pretty much every part of the car. Guys did it a lot in the Evo community, and I think it was part of the reason they were known for eating clutches and trannies and TCs. I know an E30 guy who does it too, and he goes through a couple trannies a year.
Yep. Not to mention is of relatively little value on a road course. Maybe in a drag race, but then you might be better off with a GT500 and the Tremec.

hotrodnut said:
shu2ski said:

Before talking with them at MGW I was under the impression that the new 6-speed was a stouter transmission than the 3650 in my Mach1 but they said it was a stronger trans and could take the powershifting better than the newer 6-speeds.

I have power shifted the piss out of my boss since the mgw install with no problems.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
jake74 said:
hotrodnut said:
shu2ski said:

I have power shifted the piss out of my boss since the mgw install with no problems.

Me Too!! Strange how that happens ;D

TMSBOSS said:
jake74 said:
hotrodnut said:
shu2ski said:

Have you noticed that 3rd gear is now unmissable?

jake74 said:
hotrodnut said:
shu2ski said:

Now, that's what I've been wanting to hear Jake! ;D Thanks!

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
jake74 said:
TMSBOSS said:
jake74 said:
hotrodnut said:
shu2ski said:

Have you noticed that 3rd gear is now unmissable?

Yes I have. Pretty sure I could shift wearing boxing gloves and catch third every time.

With the centering springs all you do is push forward from second and third is always there. Very Satisfied.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel