The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

MGW Installed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I had the MGW installed today.

Initial impressions:

1. I can tell that this shifter is and will be much better than stock.
2. I'm sure that as others have testified that there is a "break-in" period. It's real notch, but I can tell that
the 2-3 is already totally different.
3. The Stock unit was really broken-in and smooth after 4800 miles. However, under high loads, it was
completely unpredictable, which is why I upgraded to the MGW.
4. Noise level? Way more noise in the cabin. Sounds like I can hear the gears in the Tranny???
5. Noise fix should be the Rear Bracket that George is coming out with and posted by Athens7. The noise is
not unbearable, but it's definitely a distraction.
6. Power/Speed Shift? Completely different car! This is worth the $$$; no slop or hit and miss.
7. 3-2 Downshift? Difficult. Have to find it and shove it; not smooth. Does this change after time? Or do I need to get an adjustment?

I don't mind a bit more noise but in my car is sounds like a broken washing machine. :D

NFSBOSS said:
I don't mind a bit more noise but in my car is sounds like a broken washing machine. :D

I think I'll take "gears rotating" noise over the broken washing machine!

At least I know it's not my "rock n roll" ears.

Boss949 said:
7. 3-2 Downshift? Difficult. Have to find it and shove it; not smooth. Does this change after time? Or do I need to get an adjustment?

According to George, in some cases the shifter needs to be slightly adjusted to make the 1-2 shift easier under load. The adjustment has to do with loosening the nylock nut on the right side of the gold assembly below the shift knob, then using an Allen wrench to rotate the reverse lockout pin on the left side of the gold assembly so that it protrudes slightly more (no more than 1/2 turn). Don't forget to tighten the nylock nut after you've moved the pin! This pushes the lever slightly more to the right when selecting 2nd gear. Because of the centering springs, it is easiest to hold the shift lever against the shifter block on the left side of the pattern when shifting 1-2, so as not to shift 1-4 or miss the 2nd gear gate. This adjustment may help with the 3-2 shift as well.

Another item that may affect the 3-2 shift is that the centering springs are very stiff when the unit is new. I have put about 300 miles on my car since the install, and I do a great deal of in town driving, so I shift a lot. When the shifter was brand new, I could hardly wiggle the shifter side to side when it was in neutral. As the shifter breaks in, I am finding a little less resistance in the springs.

I hope this is of some help.

Athens7;

Thanks for info. I'm going to give it some time, and might even call George. The 1-2 Shift under load is great; so is every other shift 2-3; 3-4 etc. So, I'm wondering if it just needs to break-in?

Steve

Give it about 200-300 miles, you will like it more... Mine was Notchy/clunky at first, now its smooth... Though I do find that the tranny has to warm up a bit, and it will be Notchy/clunky again for the first 5 minutes or so after a cold start. but once that tranny warms up, its smooth again...

bottom line, these cars should have come stock with the MGW shifter... its a great product, and MGW has great customer service.... and if you live in their area (GA), then they will install it for free. I plan on taking a road trip down there in the spring to have them "Look over" my MGW shifter, just to make sure everything is setup correctly and nothing is going "bad". By then I should have almost 2,500 miles on the shifter. So it will be interesting to see what a "Trained" eye sees after that...

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Regarding excessive noise you have to make sure the shift boot is installed properly in the tunnel and over the shifter turret. This is a real biznitch and if not right you will hear more noise than you should. It still is more than stock but not like a broken washing machine in my car. Also check that the installers used the Dyna Mat around the opening.
Steve

I drove down and George installed my MGW shifter for free and as everyone has stated it is a dramatic improvement over the OEM. However, I just installed a new Tremec T-56 Magnum in my 89 coupe. No comparison. It is a shame that Ford did not even give us an option on this tranny. If you have not driven a new T-56 Magnum, you owe it to yourself to do so.

Ben

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
oldtimer50 said:
I drove down and George installed my MGW shifter for free and as everyone has stated it is a dramatic improvement over the OEM. However, I just installed a new Tremec T-56 Magnum in my 89 coupe. No comparison. It is a shame that Ford did not even give us an option on this tranny. If you have not driven a new T-56 Magnum, you owe it to yourself to do so.

Ben

Ben

Yes, I also like the improvement the MGW shifter has made.

Although the T-56 is a great tranny, I am unsure the gearing would work as well as the MT-82. I am also curious how the T-56 would work behind the current clutch set up in the Boss. Most problems appear to be clutch related. Example, guys have a clutch replaced, repaired or simply bled and problems decrease only to return with time. A few guys have replaced the stock system and reported a much improved shift which is the problem with the current system.

I have not seem many posts where a tranny failed specific the ability to take the loads placed upon them. Most complaints are related to shifting which is effected by clutch disengagement.

It's very possible that the "Chinese Tranny" is not the cause of the problem and the clutch is where the improvement is needed.

Just my 2 cents. :-\

TMS, I agree that the gearing is not the same between the M-82 and the T-56 but Ford could have worked that out with Tremec before hand. And don't get me wrong, the M-82 with the MGW is a smooth tranny when warm, but the Tremec has the reputation of reliability and that it can take some serious HP and Torque.

athens7 said:
According to George, in some cases the shifter needs to be slightly adjusted to make the 1-2 shift easier under load. The adjustment has to do with loosening the nylock nut on the right side of the gold assembly below the shift knob, then using an Allen wrench to rotate the reverse lockout pin on the left side of the gold assembly so that it protrudes slightly more (no more than 1/2 turn). Don't forget to tighten the nylock nut after you've moved the pin! This pushes the lever slightly more to the right when selecting 2nd gear. Because of the centering springs, it is easiest to hold the shift lever against the shifter block on the left side of the pattern when shifting 1-2, so as not to shift 1-4 or miss the 2nd gear gate. This adjustment may help with the 3-2 shift as well.

Another item that may affect the 3-2 shift is that the centering springs are very stiff when the unit is new. I have put about 300 miles on my car since the install, and I do a great deal of in town driving, so I shift a lot. When the shifter was brand new, I could hardly wiggle the shifter side to side when it was in neutral. As the shifter breaks in, I am finding a little less resistance in the springs.

I hope this is of some help.

I did the adjustment and yes, it's much better. I might tweak it more tomorrow; but huge improvement. This is definitely a race shifter. Power shifts are accurate; much quicker and most of all, none of that missing 2nd or 3 rd!!

This really is a great Mod for the Boss.

TMO Supporting Vendors