The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

MGW ordered, received, and installed thread.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
gremlinsteve said:
yea. not sure how the jba stuff would sound.

ill keep it all in mind. and ill end up with the shifter also. just wanna get the car here first

It's about a six week wait... Order now, they don't charge your CC until it ships. Some like the new Boss knob MGW has too, not shown on their site. You have to know the secret code to order one..

j/k boss2511 has one

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
ace72ace said:
gremlinsteve said:
yea. not sure how the jba stuff would sound.

ill keep it all in mind. and ill end up with the shifter also. just wanna get the car here first

It's about a six week wait... Order now, they don't charge your CC until it ships. Some like the new Boss knob MGW has too, not shown on their site. You have to know the secret code to order one..

j/k boss2511 has one
the pass code is super awesome boss2511 jk lol

Maui
gremlinsteve said:
wow. 6 week wait? and whats this new shift ball look like

Like this. ;D

544789_10150916659523704_580538703_9658002_177944397_n.jpg

282666_10150939446913704_246453940_n.jpg

NYLineman

Owner of #2611 CO
Finally got mine early this week. Had it installed yesterday. Not as smooth as I was hoping, I was assured it would improve once it breaks in. There is definitely more noise coming into the cab from the shifter. But I didn't buy the car in hopes it would sound like a Prius.

Justin

NYLineman said:
Finally got mine early this week. Had it installed yesterday. Not as smooth as I was hoping, I was assured it would improve once it breaks in. There is definitely more noise coming into the cab from the shifter. But I didn't buy the car in hopes it would sound like a Prius.
give it about two weeks. also swap to Redline MTL the shifter will be perfect then.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Installed mine last weekend. 3 hours on jack stands (as usual) installed the rear mount isolator pad and the heat shield. Toughest part is the new boot, if you seem to have excessive noise it is probably the boot not fully on the turret, also get under the car and make sure the bottom rubber flange is flat with a trim tool. with the heat shield in place I am getting no heat through the shifter area and no increase in road or exhaust. As for shift function it is stiff and precise, feels very stout and you have to shift firm. They say the springs wear in after 500 miles but you can remove the base cap from the preload spring to make it softer, I am gonna let the spring break in before deciding. 1-2 shifts have to be made deliberate but the 2-3 and 3-4 are rifle bolt smooth and accurate. 4-5 is much better than stock and 5-6 as well although no one really has to bang a 5-6, if you are shifting from 5th to 6th at high rpm then you are going very fast and you better make sure you are engaging 6th and not 4th as there will be a very loud, bad BANG and you will be spinning off somewhere.
All in all a good investment for racers whether drag or road course, for the street $400 could be better spent on basic mods such as axle backs, tuner, CAI etc.
Steve

Justin

steveespo said:
Installed mine last weekend. 3 hours on jack stands (as usual) installed the rear mount isolator pad and the heat shield. Toughest part is the new boot, if you seem to have excessive noise it is probably the boot not fully on the turret, also get under the car and make sure the bottom rubber flange is flat with a trim tool. with the heat shield in place I am getting no heat through the shifter area and no increase in road or exhaust. As for shift function it is stiff and precise, feels very stout and you have to shift firm. They say the springs wear in after 500 miles but you can remove the base cap from the preload spring to make it softer, I am gonna let the spring break in before deciding. 1-2 shifts have to be made deliberate but the 2-3 and 3-4 are rifle bolt smooth and accurate. 4-5 is much better than stock and 5-6 as well although no one really has to bang a 5-6, if you are shifting from 5th to 6th at high rpm then you are going very fast and you better make sure you are engaging 6th and not 4th as there will be a very loud, bad BANG and you will be spinning off somewhere.
All in all a good investment for racers whether drag or road course, for the street $400 could be better spent on basic mods such as axle backs, tuner, CAI etc.
Steve
the springs will loosen up and 1-2 becomes easier. Redline MTL will loosen up the front to back motion as well and make it smoother. As for money better spent elsewhere on a street only car I disagree. It should be bought before you even pick the car up. Before by GF would drive and she was always worried if it went to the right gear. With the MGW she no longer feels that way. And she is no drag racer or autocross driver she is what I would say is your typical everyday driver and she said it made a huge difference and with the stock shifter she didnt have any confidence as to what gear it went to or if it was actually in gear.

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
I'm hoping that after driving mine, my wife will want to get an MGW installed on her '11 GT.

I just traded my 2012 for a 2013 not sure what has happened to the shifter but for some reason this seems way better than the stock on the 2012.
Phil

Ordered on 8/2/13........and reading all the previous posts it appears I will be waiting awhile! Guess I should have pulled the trigger sooner.

Hope to have it and installed before the tracks start closing.....LOL

Scheduled delivery date: 8/19/13!

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel