The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

MGW Shift Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I had the MGW installed and took the car out for a test drive and at a light when I thought I was in 1st gear, I was in reverse. After a few tests I have realized the shifter will go into reverse without pushing down on the shifter. Is this normal for MGW and the rest of you or does something need to be adjusted? Install was done by Tousley Ford-- I am not mechanically inclined. Any input would be appreciated.

Borlan axle backs with side plates pulled = a very lovely roar when I get on it.

I was out "test driving" it and also listening to the new exhaust so the rpms were up there however yes, its a really good thing I didn't dump the clutch. There were cars behind me.

Another observation about the MGW is if I push the shifter all the way to the left and shift 1st to 2nd or 2nd to 1st I can feel a notch to the left which is where you get in reverse. The stock shift going 1st to 2nd or vice versa was smooth - no notch. Maybe there is a piece missing, I have a call into service and am waiting to hear back.

jneuman said:
I had the MGW installed and took the car out for a test drive and at a light when I thought I was in 1st gear, I was in reverse. After a few tests I have realized the shifter will go into reverse without pushing down on the shifter. Is this normal for MGW and the rest of you or does something need to be adjusted? Install was done by Tousley Ford-- I am not mechanically inclined. Any input would be appreciated.

I happend to exchanged emails with David at Tousley on the day he installed your MGW and oil separator. He mentioned to me he was doing the install on a Boss, and I just read your post that Tousley did, thus I am fairly sure it was yours. David and Tousley have been great to work with and they have done numerous mods for me.

LS110 said:
I happend to exchanged emails with David at Tousley on the day he installed your MGW and oil separator. He mentioned to me he was doing the install on a Boss, and I just read your post that Tousley did, thus I am fairly sure it was yours. David and Tousley have been great to work with and they have done numerous mods for me.

Tousley has been great (not bad mouthing them at all) I don't doubt they will fix it if there is an install issue. I wanted to be sure that this is not standard operation for the MGW shifter. I hope to meet up with you or see your LS on the track. From the looks of it you have done quite a bit of work with yours and put it to good use. :)

The answer to your reverse MGW question is mine does require that I press down to get in reverse. Funny that you ask this as right after they installed mine, I could not get into reverse, so I immediately went back. Joe Peterson, also a great guy, hopped in my car and said I think I found the problem, you need to press down on the shifter. That was a bit embarrassing and surprising. I am guessing prior to the MGW I did not have to press down as hard.

I had a similiar issue with not quite going into second gear without pushing down slightly. George at MGW talked me through adjusting the pin on the left side in or out to use the right amount of side to side alignment for the reverse lockout (needing to push down to get into reverse). I think I talked about it at the end of the MGW install thread. Sounds like you need to turn it out alittle.

LS110 said:
The answer to your reverse MGW question is mine does require that I press down to get in reverse. Funny that you ask this as right after they installed mine, I could not get into reverse, so I immediately went back. Joe Peterson, also a great guy, hopped in my car and said I think I found the problem, you need to press down on the shifter. That was a bit embarrassing and surprising. I am guessing prior to the MGW I did not have to press down as hard.

Joe is who I primarily talk to and out of all my experiences with dealerships and service, Tousley is #1. I feel lucky to have such a great resource for service and parts 10 minutes from home. I am going to talk to MGW in the morning about adjusting the pin. 70's in the next 48 hours -- I cannot wait to get some miles on it.

jneuman said:
Tousley has been great (not bad mouthing them at all) I don't doubt they will fix it if there is an install issue. I wanted to be sure that this is not standard operation for the MGW shifter. I hope to meet up with you or see your LS on the track. From the looks of it you have done quite a bit of work with yours and put it to good use. :)

Are you planning any BIR events? Gary and I will be there next week for the PCA event, and then I am hoping to be at numerous other BIR events over the summer, 3 in May alone.

LS110 said:
Are you planning any BIR events? Gary and I will be there next week for the PCA event, and then I am hoping to be at numerous other BIR events over the summer, 3 in May alone.

I am planning to make it up there this summer. May is booked (work, family visiting, etc) but June / July are when I will make it up. Is there any events this summer that I should make priority to check out? PM me if you rather--

Moto is correct - there is a nut on the right side of the shifter that you loosen and then twist the bolt on the other side in or out until you don't feel that notch between 1st and 2nd. Easy to do, takes less than 5 minutes including popping the center console top cover off.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
KBBoss302 said:
Moto is correct - there is a nut on the right side of the shifter that you loosen and then twist the bolt on the other side in or out until you don't feel that notch between 1st and 2nd. Easy to do, takes less than 5 minutes including popping the center console top cover off.
lol I dont know about that. that rubber boot is a beast to get on sometimes

Hey Justin - all you do is push the boot down on the shift lever and the nut/bolt is right there. You don't mess with the bottom big part of the rubber boot. I was a little annoyed with the notch between 1st and 2nd until I figured this out and now I cannot say enough good things about the MGW!

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
KBBoss302 said:
Hey Justin - all you do is push the boot down on the shift lever and the nut/bolt is right there. You don't mess with the bottom big part of the rubber boot. I was a little annoyed with the notch between 1st and 2nd until I figured this out and now I cannot say enough good things about the MGW!
oh good to know. I dont feel the notch on mine. and I cant say enough good things either

Did you guys measure turns-in or out on the MGW? I have been adjusting mine, but I am not sure how much to adjust, and cant tell if its getting any better.

sadil said:
Did you guys measure turns-in or out on the MGW? I have been adjusting mine, but I am not sure how much to adjust, and cant tell if its getting any better.
Facing the bolt I turned my clockwise about a 1/4 turn.

Guys,

Planning on taking out my Barton for an MGW, heard there can be issues of it hitting the axle with lowered cars. Is this true?

Thanks,

Manuel

TMO Supporting Vendors