The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

MGW shifter install in orlando

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Does anybody know of a shop that has experiance with the mgw shifter install in the Orlando or central fl. area?

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
Just in case no one directs you to a specific installer, rest assured that any competent ASE certified shop can install the shifter. It's installation is very similar to the way the stock shifter is installed and really requires no more mechanical know how that that. Also, there's the installation videos available online that you can share with your installer, that will make the job even easier.

fbbob96

2013 SBY #0750
They should have no problem at all installing it. I went straight to MGW and George, the owner, did mine. But, I was only an hours drive away and he did it for free. Your gonna love the new stifter.

The shifter is a basic install for an ASE certified mechanic. However, if a Mustang specific shop would ease your mind, try LaMotta Performance in Longwood. He is constantly in all of the magazines. He can be a bit gruff but will do you right.

Is his name Jake?,I bought my car @ DonReid and that is who they recommended and said if I went there warranty would not be voided

chefron50 said:
Is his name Jake?,I bought my car @ DonReid and that is who they recommended and said if I went there warranty would not be voided

Yes, Jake LaMotta. He is a well known Mustang mechanic. If your dealer is cool with him that should make the decision even easier.

http://www.lamottaperformance.com/

No issues installing the shifter (Besides getting the Stock Shift Ball off, they weld that thing on there..), but a few towels some channel locks and a few scratches in the Stock ball and off it came, rest of the job was a piece of cake... Shifts shorter and smoother than Stock Shifter and Reverse Lockout is a True Lockout... If you want to go in reverse, the MGW makes you tell it, not like the stock shifter where once hot it can "Slip" if your not careful..

Great Product by MGW... I only wish the shaft was a little taller, but that is something I can address later... BOSS 302 BALL installed too!

Pics Below: You can see how only after 360 miles on the car, the Reverse Lockout part (Black Plastic Clip) is already showing wear on the Stock Shifter... Bottom Photo is of MGW's Reverse Lockout... All Metal, and no way to "Accidentally" put it in reverse...

MGW.jpg

Reverse.jpg

MGWReverse.jpg

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
You need to untwist the shift boot... Mine was the same on first test fit where I had to install and remove to adjust the jam nut.

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
Look at the leather shift boot, the stitching isn't 'north & south or at 12 & 6 o'clock'. Nothing wrong functionally here, purely cosmetic, just loosen it up again and untwist the boot counter-clockwise and then hold it in place if the tightening process is causing it to get crooked.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
rpm3dinc said:
I bought both shafts and the BOSS custom ball they sent only fits on the shaft we used, did we do something incorrect?

Looks like the jamb nut is the only thing missing. Add the nut and you can adjust the knob up if desired. This will also slide the boot down a bit.

If using the stock ball and corresponding shaft, no jamb nut. Use the MGW shaft and knob a jamb nut is required. The stock ball has a metal extension below the knob and is glued/locktited in place. Boss 302 knob does not have the extension and uses the jamb nut to secure the knos as well as provide a spacer below the knob.

Good luck

;D

Do you have a photo so I can make sure I put it in the right place? Does the jam nut go right up against the bottom of the shift ball? Or is there a space in between the jam nut and the ball?

Maui
rpm3dinc said:
Do you have a photo so I can make sure I put it in the right place? Does the jam nut go right up against the bottom of the shift ball? Or is there a space in between the jam nut and the ball?

Like this?

282666_10150939446913704_246453940_n.jpg

Mine looks nothing like that... Surely a JamNut won't make mine look like that? There is a hole shaft Cover piece on that one...

Ok, I am going to take my ball off, take the Console out and take a photo of just the shaft so you can see what I have, maybe we put something on wrong?

OK, so here is the parts I have left over that are NOT on the car currently... The Stock Ball/Shaft, the Shaft for the Stock Ball (Supplied by MGW), and the Rubber Piece for NON-BOSS cars, and the locking washer, Washer and LockNut.

MGW1.jpg

Here is a pick of my Shifter Shaft as it sits in the car without the ball on.

MGW2.jpg

MGW3.jpg

MGW4.jpg

Here is a pick with just the Shifter Shaft as it sits in the car with the MGW Custom Shift Knob on (No Console so you can see it better)

MGW5.jpg

Looks like the shaft is upside down. Turn it around and put the jam nut on the bottom (top in your photo) the bottom part of the shaft in your photo will then be above the top of the leather boot.

TMO Supporting Vendors