The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

MGW Shifter, is it the Holy Grail for the MT-82?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I love this car. Just looking at it when I walk up I think "Badass". But I'm seriously troubled :( by the shifter and trans and do contemplate moving it on due to what a biznitch it is to drive comparatively speaking. Is the MGW shifter the answer to remedy the notchy, clunky, grindy tendencies of this unit? Or is there more than one answer which adds up to more cash? I appreciate the feedback.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
There are three areas which commonly need addressing. They are:
1. Shifter
2. Tranny fluids
3. Clutch

I had trouble with lockout and installed the MGW shifter. Lockout problems solved.

Second gear had a slight Nibble when cold. I changed the tranny fluid to red line, problem solved.

Some still have issues when these changes are made and end up swapping out the clutch for a lighter dual disc system.

I have never heard of a problem after the three items above were addressed.

Good luck

TMS pretty much covered it. I'll add if you're having high RPM shifting lockout, and you don't mention it, the only known fix is a new clutch. IMO most of the issues with the trans are clutch related. It's clearly not up to the task. For the price I'd try the MGW and see if that makes enough of a difference for you. If not remove it, sell it, and then sell your Boss. Be warned that the shifter takes a bit of time to break-in and will get smoother and easier to shift once you have about a 1,000 miles of driving on it.

On the shifter...I don't think the MGW is the "holy grail". Rather any of the aftermarket shifters (Hurst, MGW, Barton, Ford Racing, etc.) coupled with the Blowfish shifter bracket will answer your shifter issues. I have the Hurst Competition Plus with the Blowfish bracket...wouldn't trade it for anything.
r/
Eric

The new kid on the MGW shifter block is their Race Spec shifter. MGW just released it a couple of weeks ago. The price is $487 and you can trade in your old MGW shifter for s $200 credit. Their website has not yet been updated with the Race Spec. There is a video link in the MGW vender area. The race spec shifter connects to the back of the MT-82 transmission and replaces the Ford shifter linkage and includes firmer bushings to give the feel and performance of a top loader transmission.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
My MGW was a nice upgrade but no Holy Grail. That came later with the Blowfish bracket. After three tranny rebuilds finally some peace of mind and clean shifts at 7500rpm

TMSBOSS said:
There are three areas which commonly need addressing. They are:
1. Shifter
2. Tranny fluids
3. Clutch

I had trouble with lockout and installed the MGW shifter. Lockout problems solved.

Second gear had a slight Nibble when cold. I changed the tranny fluid to red line, problem solved.

Some still have issues when these changes are made and end up swapping out the clutch for a lighter dual disc system.

I have never heard of a problem after the three items above were addressed.

Good luck

So what clutch did you got with ???????????

Cherno134 said:
The new kid on the MGW shifter block is their Race Spec shifter. MGW just released it a couple of weeks ago. The price is $487 and you can trade in your old MGW shifter for s $200 credit. Their website has not yet been updated with the Race Spec. There is a video link in the MGW vender area. The race spec shifter connects to the back of the MT-82 transmission and replaces the Ford shifter linkage and includes firmer bushings to give the feel and performance of a top loader transmission.

I can't wait to try one of these, I have what I thought was going to fix all my issues (the earlier 2014 revision of the shifter) but every now and then it would take a little bit of finessing to get her into 5th on the track (no grinding, could just feel the shifter "binding" as shown in the MGW "race shifter" video). I was going to buy the BF bracket because I (like many other MT82 owners) am desperate, but I wanted to see some reviews. Now that this new MGW is out, I think I might give it a go, I was a little uneasy about the BF bracket because it (now) seems like a band-aid solution that adds NVH (I don't see any bushings in the BF bracket but just form looking at the design it looks pretty "heavy duty") and weight, but it will be interesting to compare both solutions.

I for one agree that having the MT-82 shift perfectly would be Great. I'm confused on why and how you would call the Blowfish bracket a band aid. Many people have reported that it solved all shifting problems. I'm one of those people who had major shifting problems and the BF bracket changed that. If you think back on when this MT-82 problem hit the lime light, there were many products that said it was the fix in shifting. First it was change the shifter, then clutch spring, torque limiters, whiteline bushing, many different shifter snout mounts, Tranny fuild, but in the end..none of them worked to completely cure everyones problem.

I will say that the Blowfish bracket is the best thing on the market for the price. will the MGW race spec shifter be better??? Time will tell. Is it worth the $$$$. Time will tell. Will there be something better in the future for our MT-82 than the MGW?? Time will tell. Does the MGW Race Spec look Good...O-yea!
What I can tell you is that FORD should be ashamed of themselves. But they have our money and they have proven to me that they could care less about the MT-82 problems we all live with. They rather replace a tranny that's destroyed than amit that the design of the shifter assembly is garbage and belongs at the curb with the rest of the TRASH!

To sum it up. I would in no way call the Blowfish Bracket a bandaid. Of coarse this is just one Boss owners experience in search for the MT-82 Holy Grail.

What I want to hear is someone that has run the BF bracket and put it thru its paces. Then the same person that swaps it out for the MGW and runs that thru the same condition.
Street/Track/Strip use.
The one thing that will be soild info is the MGW Race shifter. Because its all MGW. With the BF bracket you are connecting this bracket to what ever type of shifter that you are running. So the final outcome will vary alot.

Remember the old expersion...If you cant find them...GRIND THEM>>>Fords new Logo :eek:

What MGW needs to do is come out with a changeable shifter shaft/rod. It's about looks also. I for one dont like the looks of the Ball sitting right on top of the boot. If you could un-bolt that and bolt on a new shaft like the Hurst. They could even have different colors for some people's tatse.
O-well, very interested in hearing reports on this new MGW Bandaid......Just kidding..
Boss and Mustang owner have waited long enough in getting there FIX on the shifter drug!

Just placed my order for the MGW Race Shifter to replace my 3 year MGW shifter. George was great to talk to and answered all my questions. The $200 cash back when I return my other shifter is very nice ;D

Well said too, didn't mean to upset local politics on the BF bracket, just a regular consumer comparing alternatives, I'd like to drive a car with the BF bracket to see for myself, but from its robustness it looks like it must translate a ton of NVH to the cockpit since there appears to be no bushings, is this true? Either way both products are made by small manufacturers in the USA so I don't think you can go wrong! I ordered my MGW race spec to try out, hopefully it will be here for Christmas.

My "Holy Grail" was the MGW shifter then the Blowfish Bracket then a bottle of XL-18 Motor Craft additive that newer cars get at the factory, but mine was built too early.

Shifts really well now with just a very slight vibration on the shifter knob. No noise just a slight vibrations if you are holding the knob.

I'm very happy with my setup. I will however be watching for the reviews of the MGW Race Spec. While I don't track my car I'm a sucker for cool engineering and that shifter is a work of art.

For those that have not heard about the XL-18 Additive, here is a long post with good info on build dates and when Ford Switched transmission fluid and when they added the XL-18 at the factory. Take a look at post #204

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/2011-2014-mustang-gt-tech/541546-mt-82-transmission-additive-update-14.html

Here is my experience with the non-race spec MGW and the blowfish bracket. Ran the car street and track with both. Big improvement over stock shifter. I wondered how would the MGW do on its own. Well maybe it's just my car, but I noticed no shift quality difference and slightly less NVH. I like the MGW. Just ordered the race spec version. You cannot beat the customer service. And the core program? Excellent! The blowfish bracket? Sold it. Sorry blowfish fans. As an experiment I ran the original trans fluid at my last track day. Yes shifting was not as good cold but seemed better after a couple sessions at the track. In the end buy what makes you happy and DRIVE it!

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
I saw the new MGW shifter video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-dBxf6Uf_I

Looks really good, waiting to hear how it works.

576 said:
Here is my experience with the non-race spec MGW and the blowfish bracket. Ran the car street and track with both. Big improvement over stock shifter. I wondered how would the MGW do on its own. Well maybe it's just my car, but I noticed no shift quality difference and slightly less NVH. I like the MGW. Just ordered the race spec version. You cannot beat the customer service. And the core program? Excellent! The blowfish bracket? Sold it. Sorry blowfish fans. As an experiment I ran the original trans fluid at my last track day. Yes shifting was not as good cold but seemed better after a couple sessions at the track. In the end buy what makes you happy and DRIVE it!

So Non race spec and no blowfish it good enough ????????
I would like some other opinions
Anyone else care to comment ??????.
thanks

I just installed the non-race spec version with the upgraded solid bushings. Shifts great, feels solid. A PITA to get that shifter arm bolt out by yourself laying on the garage floor with the car on jack stands. After dropping the trans crossmember, you really have to yank on the driveshaft to provide clearance to back that 10mm bolt out. Probably no big deal with a second person.

I have tracked my car with the stock shifter, a gen 1 MGW, and the MGW with the Blowfish bracket. I am waiting for my race spec MGW to be completed, and will have it installed at the MGW facility. I will post a review with my comparisons. For now, I can speak to the non-race spec MGW with and without the Blowfish bracket. The MGW is a big improvement vs. the stock shifter, especially with the 3-4 upshift, as well as the 5-4 downshift and the 4-3 downshift. It did not, however, eliminate high RPM (7000+) lockouts, especially on the 4-5 upshift. Once I installed the Blowfish bracket, the lockout issues were completely eliminated. I have tracked the car three times with the MGW/Blowfish combination, at Road Atlanta, Atlanta Motorsports Park, & Barber Motorsports Park. Hot or cold, the shifts are solid. There is no hint of resistance, and my biggest problem on track is banging off the limiter because of my confidence in the shifts. I am one of the owners with significant rattling from the shift assembly since the installation of the Blowfish bracket, which is why I'm going to try the race spec MGW. If the rattling was absent, I would be completely satisfied with the existing MGW and Blowfish bracket in combination. YMMV.

Russellsam said:
So Non race spec and no blowfish it good enough ????????
I would like some other opinions
Anyone else care to comment ??????.
thanks

TMO Supporting Vendors