The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

MGW Shifter, is it the Holy Grail for the MT-82?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I have the MGW shifter with the blowfish bracket and it works good except for the rattling noise. I installed the new $20 MGW rear mounting bracket and it took away the rattling noise and it is back to OEM NVH levels. I think the blowfish bracket was rushed to market too soon as the original MGW rear mounting bracket was just too big to remount upside down and not hit anything. I think the new MGW support bracket should have been included in the original kit. I did see where the original bracket was hitting but it would of taken a lot of machining to get it to clear properly. Hopefully the new rubber gromments will last as long as the car does.

Tim

Ok, I got the Racespec shifter in last night, as Dawgstang said, getting that 10mm headed bolt out for the shifter arm is a PITA by yourself when working on a car on jackstands, there were some creative new words used as I did this process by myself!

After doing some basic street driving, TBO I can not feel/tell much a difference from the old MGW, but its also hovering near freezing and its hard to get grip out of the tires. I never had an issue with the "old" (2014 revision) version of the MGW, except when I was on the track shifting from 4-5 on the straightaway, it would always take a short delay to get it to go (I never force shifts, that gets expensive!). I'm not signed up for any trackdays yet for 2015, but this will be my ultimate test of this new shifter. I will say that the BF bracket looks like its easier to instal, what does it take 5 min to put in?

--Aaron

BOSSSTANG said:
Ok, I got the Racespec shifter in last night, as Dawgstang said, getting that 10mm headed bolt out for the shifter arm is a PITA by yourself when working on a car on jackstands, there were some creative new words used as I did this process by myself!

After doing some basic street driving, TBO I can not feel/tell much a difference from the old MGW, but its also hovering near freezing and its hard to get grip out of the tires. I never had an issue with the "old" (2014 revision) version of the MGW, except when I was on the track shifting from 4-5 on the straightaway, it would always take a short delay to get it to go (I never force shifts, that gets expensive!). I'm not signed up for any trackdays yet for 2015, but this will be my ultimate test of this new shifter. I will say that the BF bracket looks like its easier to instal, what does it take 5 min to put in?

--Aaron

Aaron
I have the 2013 one , so how was the 2014 revision different to the earlier ones.
thanks

I also posted this in the vendor forum, but does anyone happen to have George at MGW's email address? Any help you could provide me with I'd appreciate.

Thanks.

I was able to thoroughly test the Race Spec MGW yesterday at VIR full. I did not have any lockouts therefore I would say it was a worthwhile upgrade over the previous version MGW's. I will say that I felt I still had to baby the tranny into gear to prevent grinding, but that is most likely just the crappy MT82. Everyone I have talked to at the track has either had a replacement tranny, or is currently having issues with their MT-82 equipped GT/Boss. I wish Ford would have made this right from the get go, but hopefully by babying the gearbox and not forcing shifts it will prolong the gearbox's life.

BOSSSTANG said:
I was able to thoroughly test the Race Spec MGW yesterday at VIR full. I did not have any lockouts therefore I would say it was a worthwhile upgrade over the previous version MGW's. I will say that I felt I still had to baby the tranny into gear to prevent grinding, but that is most likely just the crappy MT82. Everyone I have talked to at the track has either had a replacement tranny, or is currently having issues with their MT-82 equipped GT/Boss. I wish Ford would have made this right from the get go, but hopefully by babying the gearbox and not forcing shifts it will prolong the gearbox's life.
Are you using the stock clutch?

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Clutch is the real source of your issues. Although I'm sure most of us are also surmising that gearboxes are becoming damaged over time because of the crappiness of the stock clutches.

At high RPM's the stock clutch is not fully releasing. While there are other issues many of us believe this causes you to get the car out of gear into neutral but can't get it back into gear which is the lockout you have at high RPM's. I tried everything and nothing helped until I replaced my clutch. Since then no more high RPM lockout.

Neither the Blowfish bracket or MGW race spec shifter were available when I was having issues.

NFSBOSS said:
At high RPM's the stock clutch is not fully releasing. While there are other issues many of us believe this causes you to get the car out of gear into neutral but can't get it back into gear which is the lockout you have at high RPM's. I tried everything and nothing helped until I replaced my clutch. Since then no more high RPM lockout.

Neither the Blowfish bracket or MGW race spec shifter were available when I was having issues.

what clutch did you replace it with ?????

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
NFSBOSS said:
A McLeod RXT. There are plenty of good options available.

Am looking at the Spec 2+ or the RST McLeod. Both seem better suited for my skills. Will probably stick with a lightweight steel flywheel. But I gotta admit, It's been in the 60s-70s here in Denver the past few days and I got the car out and really love the feel of the MGW RS Shifter. I can only imagine the feel with an upgraded clutch.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel