The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

MGW Shifter Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hey guys, for those who have installed an MGW shifter, I was wondering how your shifter act when in reverse. I installed mine yesterday and found it kinda funky. All the gears are nice and tight, but reverse seems to have some play. I push down and to the left and forward and it goes in gear. However, when I let go, the shifter moves back up and to the right. This movement isnt enough to kick it out of reverse, but stay down and full left. I spoke to George @ MCW, and as usual he was very helpful. George said the reverse lock-out wall's groove is not designed to hold the pin within the groove when you let go of the shifter. Therefore, it is normal for the shifter to pop up when your in reverse and let go. He also said to adjust the pin some until I am happy with my 1-2 shift. I will give this a try tonight. I was wondering if anyone else had any experience with this. Ill hopefully get around to posting a ytube video tonight showing whats going on. Thanks!

zzyzx

Steve
Mine stays solid in reverse w/o issues. What you describe doesn't sound normal.

Did you install the return spring with both upper and lower end caps? The only reason I can think of that would let it fall out of reverse is if that spring isn't providing enough force.

zzyzx said:
Mine stays solid in reverse w/o issues. What you describe doesn't sound normal.

Did you install the return spring with both upper and lower end caps? The only reason I can think of that would let it fall out of reverse is if that spring isn't providing enough force.

Same opinion here, never had a problem with reverse with my MGW shifter.

Thanks for the input guys. As per George's emails, the shifter is not designed to stay in the groove when in reverse. Popping out a little normal. I also later adjusted the adjustment screw and brought the pin out one turn. This reduced movement of the knob while in reverse. However, George made it clear that the purpose of the pin is for adjusting and tuning shifting and that movement of the knob in reverse wad not a concern as long as you find reverse.

I finally took my car for a test drive. For those who have switched to a 1 piece drive shaft, what differences have you noticed when driving? I feel a general increase in response, the car feels so much lighter when on throttle and goes through the rpm quicker. I am also getting more NVH as a I accelerate. I havnt had a chance to test it at really high speed, but I have had no crazy vibrations until 100 mph. In general there is more vibration while driving as you accelerate, but I guess that is expected with a one piece unit. Any thoughts?

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
sadil said:
I finally took my car for a test drive. For those who have switched to a 1 piece drive shaft, what differences have you noticed when driving? I feel a general increase in response, the car feels so much lighter when on throttle and goes through the rpm quicker. I am also getting more NVH as a I accelerate. I havnt had a chance to test it at really high speed, but I have had no crazy vibrations until 100 mph. In general there is more vibration while driving as you accelerate, but I guess that is expected with a one piece unit. Any thoughts?
I noticed more noise from the gear set but then again it could have been that it was also like the first time I drove with the windows up and the radio off listening for noise lol. I also noticed that it had better throttle response with the shaft.

So for everyone that has gone with the MGW unit, what are your overall impressions?

Personally, I am still breaking mine in, but I am having issues with 5th gear. Its a PITA to go into 5th, and the OEM shift ball, length of the handle, isnt ideal in my opinion. I am going to try to fab a longer shifter handle so I can get more leverage when switching gears to make it easier. As for 1st-2nd, I turned the pin one turn out, and will try to dial it back half a turn this weekend to see if it makes a difference. Right now N-1-2 is alright, but I have a feeling it can be better. Other than that, the shifter is pretty awesome. It does what it needs to do and you dont need to think so much about your shifting. I did go into 3rd instead of 5th from 4th once while driving around. 5th seriously needs a nice nudge to the right to go in properly. Ive also had two or three instances where the shifter just hit the gate wall.

How about you guys?

flyby763 said:
I've had some issues with going into first instead of reverse a few times...
I have the same problem. You can make adjustments to the shifter and I'm going to adjust mine soon, maybe tomorrow.

I think that most, if not all, of your issues can be remedied by adjusting that bolt under the shifter. When I first installed mine, with the engine off I messed around with it and there was a noticeable notch in between 1st and 2nd if I placed light pressure on the shifter (pushing gently towards the driver's side). I also had some issues on downshifts getting blocked out of gears.

Once I heard about the adjustment bolt, I just sat there for a few minutes turning it until the notch between 1st and 2nd was gone (you can achieve perfectly smooth movement between 1st and 2nd with no hitch) and that adjustment/realignment alleviated all of my issues.

Hopefully that will work for you. Good luck.

John

I was watching the MGW install video and at around the 30 minute mark they discuss making the adjustment. Can someone confirm this is the procedure? Also any tips on reinstalling the inner boot? Mine has gotten very bad after my clutch install so I need to make the adjustment now. Mine has always been challenging to get it into reverse and I'm constantly getting it into first instead of reverse. Will this adjustment help with that too?

7/25/15 Edit: updated MGW Video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AkptfHoDHo

Yes Rick that is the bolt that you adjust under the gold oval. You loosen the nut on one side and turn the bolt on the other side. Do this:

1) Push the rubber boot down off the gold oval to expose it (without messing with the lower, bigger part of the boot that sits in the transmission tunnel cutout - that is a real pain to reinstall),

2) screw the shift lever back in a few turns,

3) then row the 1-2 shift with a slight pressure towards the driver's side and see if you feel a slight notch. If you do, then start screwing the bolt underneath (I don't recall which direction but you will be able to tell if the notch is getting worse or smoother) until it's totally smooth,

4) tighten the nut,

5) bring the upper part of the shift boot back onto the gold oval, and voila you are done.

I hope that you can understand my 'directions' and good luck!

John

One last thing - I seem to remember using a very small hex wrench (maybe 3 or 4mm) to stick into a hole in the end of the bolt to turn it. It's been several months since I've done it so I am going off memory but I think that's pretty much it. I hope it helps.

1-2 adjustment is fine, and you can play with the settings to get it right. However, my problem is with 5th and getting blocked out of gears. I sometime hit random walls while cruising and it's super annoying. :(

My first is smooth, but getting to 2nd gear is real notching, it almost "Clicks" into place its that tight, all other gears are smooth. No reverse problems, but sometimes it seems to stay in 1st when I want to go in reverse, but that could just be me not putting enough downward pressure.

TMO Supporting Vendors