The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

MGW Shifter Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sadil - were you having problems getting into 5th before installing the MGW? If no, then I would suggest double checking that everything is installed correctly and torqued properly. It sounds like something is a bit out of alignment and it might be something as simple as tinkering with the adjustment bolt or even maybe an issue with the lower rubber boot.

rpm3dinc - have you played around with the adjustment screw?

I haven't, where is it located? Photo of location?
Also, when you adjust it, I assume you do adjust out for looser/smoother feel, and in for a Notchy feel?

Please refer to the earlier posts by Rick with the video showing the screw and also my layman's directions. It is not terribly complicated and can be done in just a few minutes. I am pretty sure your issues can be corrected with the adjustment.

John

Ok, adjusted it and it seems better on a short spirited drive at least.
I rotated the pin towards me instead of towards the dash, but only about a quarter turn, very small movement.

I finally adjusted mine today and your instructions were spot on. Thanks. I can now get my car into first very easily. Now reverse is another issue. It's still challenging at times to find reverse.

Champale said:
Yes Rick that is the bolt that you adjust under the gold oval. You loosen the nut on one side and turn the bolt on the other side. Do this:

1) Push the rubber boot down off the gold oval to expose it (without messing with the lower, bigger part of the boot that sits in the transmission tunnel cutout - that is a real pain to reinstall),

2) screw the shift lever back in a few turns,

3) then row the 1-2 shift with a slight pressure towards the driver's side and see if you feel a slight notch. If you do, then start screwing the bolt underneath (I don't recall which direction but you will be able to tell if the notch is getting worse or smoother) until it's totally smooth,

4) tighten the nut,

5) bring the upper part of the shift boot back onto the gold oval, and voila you are done.

I hope that you can understand my 'directions' and good luck!

John

I am glad that I could help! What exact issue are you having with reverse? If it's the detent spring being too stiff, I seem to remember that you can remove one of the two small springs for less effort.

Hmm that's interesting. You might want to remove one of the small springs that are there for reverse. I'm pretty sure it's addressed in the MGW install videos. I don't know if it will definitely help, but can't hurt to try.

TMO Supporting Vendors