The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

MGW shifter

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Installed shifter last week and like I said in an earlier post that it is a big improvement . Now that I have driven it for a week I'm wondering if other think there is more transmission noise? Also what is the noise at very low speed almost at the stopping point that seems like free play. Had it before the install just seems I'm hearing more. Wish I could be a little clearer on thr description .

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
I hear it a bit too but I don't see it as an issue for me. I do have the heat shield in place and also did not install the dynomat shielding as recommended by MGW becuase of it's installtion. Use of the dynomat also may help to quiet things down a bit.

It may be becuase the unit is a bit more physically formidable it transmits vibrations up towards the cabin more than stock. I know you can fell the engine in your right hand more with the MGW than with the stock shifter, so it makes sense that some engine vibrations may be rising up through the shifter more than before.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
Yeah mine is more noisy too. The big old rubber mount soaks up a lot of noise. I dont really hear it anymore only with the windows up and radio off. I found it got quieter with REDLINE MTL

Get the heat shield and use the dyno matt the shifter is going to allow more noise but it will also breakin and some will go away. Also I believe the transmission takes as much as 8000 miles to break it.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
dean_acheson said:
What are you guys using for shifter knobs on these?
I have used both the stock one and mgw boss 302 knob. the boss knob from MGW is the better looking of the two. Just ordered a white one from the company that makes them for MGW.

google epco shift knobs

Ordered shifter last week with their Boss 302 logo ball. Shifter shipment "2 to 3 weeks" at time of order. Hope they can catch up with the demand.

Mike

BossDuke said:
Ordered shifter last week with their Boss 302 logo ball. Shifter shipment "2 to 3 weeks" at time of order. Hope they can catch up with the demand.

Mike
Good luck with 3 weeks more like a month atleast.

I was going to say we all should have been so lucky with only a 3 week wait. I still don't have the car to put it in so it wasn't that bad for me. Car should be here before next weekend, had the shifter for 2 months.

I ordered mine on July 5th and was told two weeks by George. I'm not holding my breath and it will be here when it arrives although I'm hoping to have it before my next track day on Aug. 3rd.

Senderofan

Having more fun than should be allowed..in my Boss
I was quoted three weeks and I received it in about three weeks. I think they are trying very hard to cut the time down to at least three weeks from the way things sounded on the phone. In any event.....the wait was worth it IMHO. Great upgrade....also did the RedLine MTL...so maybe that helps as well.

Wayne

Bossjm said:
Installed shifter last week and like I said in an earlier post that it is a big improvement . Now that I have driven it for a week I'm wondering if other think there is more transmission noise? Also what is the noise at very low speed almost at the stopping point that seems like free play. Had it before the install just seems I'm hearing more. Wish I could be a little clearer on thr description .

I've had my shifter in for about a year now and I installed the heat sheild and the dynamat. After the install I did hear the tranny little more then stock, but you won't notice it after a while, at least I didn't. Just unplug your side pipes and you won't notice it at all.

TMO Supporting Vendors