The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

MGW shifter

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OLOABoss said:
Shorten the throw means faster shifts and more chance to damage synchro's and shift forks. I have seen this happen in Porsche's. Why take the risk and good luck with fighting Ford if they deny warranty. When I mod a part of a car I automatically write off the warranty on that portion ie I assume the risk with open eyes. ;)

Peter

Porsches come with short throw options from the factory......on the same transmissions......with the same warranty......

When I put a reasonable update (aftermarket part) on my car I fully expect my car to retain it's warranty. I do not expect a non-stock item to be warranted.

I don't expect a fight with Ford. I expect a conversation...... It may take a few calls and trying to track down the right person, but I am sure under reasonable circumstances I will see a reasonable result......

By the way I rode with Catesby at VIR......

OLOABoss

AKA OLOABoss
How was your ride with Catesby the Madman?

Not talking OEM shifters. When Ford has known problems with the MT82 and their reply is owners aren't used to the shifter I think it leaves a wide door for Ford to drive thru with Warranty denial. Not saying it will happen and your dealer relationship will probably go a long way. Still something to think about.

Peter

I don't think Ford is out to screw us. But they do have to limit their warranty to situations one would reasonably expect to occur. We all know aftermarket parts don't automatically void a warranty. There's a law for that.

But, there is no way to tell if owners or some repair shops for that matter are qualified to install stuff correctly, so auto manufacturers have to put some restrictions around what they can anticipate they might have to fix - and that means component failure for the warranty period. If a non-factory component can be proven to cause a failure, then a manufacturer is justified in denying a warranty claim.

That being said, there really does have to be clear evidence something non-factory caused a component failure for Ford to deny a warranty claim. It is in their best interest to err on the side of the customer since customer satisfaction is key to their long term success.

OLOABoss said:
How was your ride with Catesby the Madman?

It was a very fun ride! Not very educational as the Boss could never be driven like the GT-R can be driven (awd). Not to mention that car has a decent parts list / setup on it as well.... Regardless he can really throw that car around and it was a great time. He was very nice and accommodating as well.

OLOABoss said:
Not saying it will happen and your dealer relationship will probably go a long way. Still something to think about.

Agree

Has anyone seen the Barton shifter? A buddy of mine has a PW Boss, just put one in, looks like a nice item, I drove the boss and the shifter is very tight and smooth, makes a clicking noise when going into gear.

I installed the MGW this afternoon, took about 2 hours but it was the first time I have done this and it is a full shifter not just a new top with a modded shift handle. It is very smooth and centers perfectly with zero effort. 2nd to 3rd shifts are effortless. No trouble going into 2nd from 1st although I have not tried it at slow speed to see if skip shift messes it up. Real test will come tomorrow morning when I am going to test it in 30 degree weather to see if it can overcome the MT-82 cold shift problems. I think that if someone knew what they were doing it would probably take half as long to install but you do have to go from top of car to bottom several times to take the old shifter out and put new one in

well so much for hoping it would improve cold performance, it doesn't. Guess Ford's fix of going to a different trans fluid only fix for that.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Returned from Afghanistan on Monday. Had the TSB for the trans fluid done at the dealership. Temps are in the 30s. Installed the MGW shifter today. Trans issues are gone.

I have had issues with second gear grinding and sometimes missing the shift. Missing 1-2 is hard to do.

With the MGW shifter you can feel the transmission coming out of one gear and going into the next. The detents built into the transmision are now obvious. NICE. With the factory shifter, although it was smooth, you could not feel the shift.

The self centering feature with springs which assists the shifter movement to the center gate is great. Simply move the shifter forward from second and the shifter moves the level into the center gate. Nearly impossible to miss the 2-3 shift now. The feel is much like that of the old hurst Competition Plus for the 2-3 shift. The shifter will pull the lever into the 3-4 gate unless you hold it to the left for 1-2 or right for 5-6.

Also purchased the insulation kit. A fiberglass insullation sheet with a stainless steel plate.

Well worth the price.

TMO Supporting Vendors