The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

MGW shifter

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I have only heard good things about MGW shifters. Getting ready to order one and need to know if anyone has had a bad experience.

boss2012 said:
I have only heard good things about MGW shifters. Getting ready to order one and need to know if anyone has had a bad experience.

Mine is ordered, they back order quick. I do not know anyone personally that has one but have read the same reviews and they sound good.

They told me they were shipping 100 this week and will call me if they have any left after filling current orders. I never asked the cost, what are they running?

That is right where I thought the price would be, thanks for the information. Have my fingers crossed that they have one left after backorders are filled. It looks like a work of art compared to the OEM. I had a chance to try one last Friday and it is right on the money with shifts and it feels rock solid.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
I had an MGW in my '06 and was very happy with it. Loved the super-strong center-return spring.

I'm happy with the stock shifter in the BOSS now, but if I ever put an aftermarket shifter in, it would be an MGW without a second thought.

The MGW shifter looks like a great shifter but I haven't had any problems with the stock shifter and it doesn't feel sloppy to me.

You guys that have had your cars to the track, have you noticed any deficiencies?

MrGT5oh said:
The MGW shifter looks like a great shifter but I haven't had any problems with the stock shifter and it doesn't feel sloppy to me.

You guys that have had your cars to the track, have you noticed any deficiencies?
Like Drew I'm happy with the stock shifter. It seems to work fine for me.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
MrGT5oh said:

I've botched a couple shifts, but that was due to me being too quick letting the clutch out. Operator error, nothing wrong with the stock shifter.

cloud9 said:
Like Drew I'm happy with the stock shifter. It seems to work fine for me.
Another happy owner here. The shifting continues to improve with more miles.

I've yet to track my car so it is good to hear that those of you that have are happy with the stock shifter so far.

I'll add the MGW to my want list for the future.

I have had no problems with the stock shifter, but I tried the MGW and really liked the way it moved between gears, especially the 2nd to 3rd shift. It felt very exact in all the shifts and quite a bit less travel to shift.

As with the Boss itself really didn't need it but wanted it.

I know that many of you are posting that you are happy with the stock shifter and I wish I was. Maybe it's just me but even with skip shift off using trackey I am still having issues with a clean shift into 2nd gear and occasionally 5th. Dealer says feels normal so I am going to try the MGW in my Boss. I have checked it out in another Boss and it is dead on the money in all gears.

cobra said:
Has anybody tried the steeda shifter.

I have had the Steeda installed for a while. The shifter works great for me. The reverse lockout spring tension is adjustable. Easy enough to install using my lift. I also replaced the rear shifter mount bracket and bushing and used the softer bushing (it comes with firm and soft?). I think just installing the rear bushing would been enough to tighten up the shifter. I had issues with the factory shifter on road courses. The factory shifter would bind up at times under hard cornering and I would miss a shift. Improving on my heal-toe shifting might help also!

OLOABoss

AKA OLOABoss
You all realize that changing the shifter is going to give Ford a perfectly good legal reason to deny warranty coverage on the Tranny. Just saying. ;)

Peter

OLOABoss said:
You all realize that changing the shifter is going to give Ford a perfectly good legal reason to deny warranty coverage on the Tranny. Just saying. ;)

Peter

Sorry Peter......but this isn't true at all. May you get hassled about it.....maybe. But it is not a legitimate legal reason to deny any warranty coverage on the transmission.......... It would have to be PROVEN that the shifter caused the damage. I would hope you would know better.....

OLOABoss

AKA OLOABoss
Shorten the throw means faster shifts and more chance to damage synchro's and shift forks. I have seen this happen in Porsche's. Why take the risk and good luck with fighting Ford if they deny warranty. When I mod a part of a car I automatically write off the warranty on that portion ie I assume the risk with open eyes. ;)

Peter

TMO Supporting Vendors