The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

MGW vs Ford Racing Shifter

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I'm going to install a new shifter on my Boss in the next couple weeks.. I'm curious as to which shifter you guys prefer and why? I had an MGW on my '03 Cobra, but was not very impressed with it.. I'm leaning towards the Ford Racing shifter.. What are your thoughts on the two? i've read how much the BMO members enjoy their MGW's, but not too much on the Ford Racing shifter.

Let me know. I'm wanting to install this before next weekend's event at Barber MotorSpeedway.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
I run MGW, I don't miss shifts with it, it is much stiffer than stock, the gates are much more precise than stock, reverse lock out is more positive and the quality of the assembly is excellent. There is some increased noise and vibration transmitted through the handle but not objectionable and I don't care anyway, others may.

As far as the Barton/Ford Racing I have not tried it but I have heard good things from others. Hopefully others who have can give you their impressions.
Good luck with it either way.
Steve

thanks steve, good review.. i'm leaning more towards the ford racing shifter, only bc i can get it close to 25% off from my supplier.. I'll post up a review after Barber Next weekend, if i get it in time!

Domestic Product

Big fat tires and everything !
SC BOSS said:
I'm going to install a new shifter on my Boss in the next couple weeks.. I'm curious as to which shifter you guys prefer and why? I had an MGW on my '03 Cobra, but was not very impressed with it.. I'm leaning towards the Ford Racing shifter.. What are your thoughts on the two? i've read how much the BMO members enjoy their MGW's, but not too much on the Ford Racing shifter.

Let me know. I'm wanting to install this before next weekend's event at Barber MotorSpeedway.

I had the Ford racing shift kit put in the Boss when I had my transmission rebuilt by Ford. My impressions are positive. Super short throws , very precise and firm, it just clicks into gear, no going into reverse by mistake , makes some noise but less then the lightened fly wheel. Over all best short shifter I have had compared to what I had on my BMWs. Have had it out on track and liked it.
On a side note you will notice in AMs install video that they do not install the shift knob as it will not fit. Ford also did not install on my car, told me I needed a GT500 shift boot. I got one and it also did not allow the shift knob to fit? So since I had it apart and the stock shift boot in my hand . I removed the chrome ring at the top of the boot(it just comes off) I then turned the boot upside down there is a black plastic round spacer about a 1/2" thick that the leather is glued to. I took a small standard screw driver and probed the edges of the leather and got it to start to peel away. I then just used my fingers and very slowly pressured the plastic piece off. The leather is stitched and formed so it keeps it shape. Re-install shift boot the Ford racing lower chrome piece now has the space to thread on and it acts as the factory chrome piece you took off, capping the leather. The shift knob then screws on, did not need any lock tight or anything , you use the ball and the lower chrome piece and thread them against each other to place and hold knob. The knob is a little bigger then stock and adds to the great feel this kit has. I must say that I get a lot compliments on the shift knob of all things. This shifter and knob should of come with the car IMO. I also went with the Ford kit for warranty reasons.
Either shift kit will be a huge improvement and you will enjoy the car that much more.

Thanks for posting the details on how to mate the FR shifter to the stock boot. I just got the FR shifter kit today and will install later this week. From what you say the stock boot nor the gt 500 boot both do not mate with this shifter? Aside from dismantling the stock boot, what's a Boss owner to do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just did the MGW install a week or so ago. Watched the video twice, followed the instruction, took 2 hrs or so. Shifting is much superior to the stock unit, far less deflection than stock, shifts are positive and firm. it comes with everything you need to have a clean install. High quality machined parts. No real noise with the new kit they have, a lot of sound dampening insulation comes with it. It almost looks stock inside the car, mates nicely with the stock boot.

The FRP unit looks good, my only concern is that unlike MGW, it does not replace the factory lower box with the very flimsy bushings.

I installed the FR shifter last week - to use the included ball and adapter, you'll need shifter boot part#BR3Z7277A. I bought mine from Tousley Ford for $30 shipped. As far as the FR shifter compared to stock- so far, much better.

Steve H.

2013 Boss 302

Domestic Product

Big fat tires and everything !
shendrix99 said:
I installed the FR shifter last week - to use the included ball and adapter, you'll need shifter boot part#BR3Z7277A. I bought mine from Tousley Ford for $30 shipped. As far as the FR shifter compared to stock- so far, much better.

Steve H.

2013 Boss 302

Thanks for the part #. I made my stock one work because I had it apart and became apparent that it would work with the spacers pulled off.
Since this is a Ford part it should come with instructions at the least for the shift knob install and a option to add said boot to the order?
Anyways for those that choose this shifter you have a couple options for the knob install.
Had the car out last night and was paying attention to the shifter as I was using it. There is zero slop a joy to use. Best way to describe is once you are used to it you do not think about it . Except when going into reverse.

I had the Steeda Tri-Ax on my '12 Boss (along with the Steeda bushing). It was better than OE for sure, but I have the MGW on my '13 Boss and it is much better in terms of shift action and lessening the lockouts. I highly recommend it.

TMO Supporting Vendors