The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

MHX Oil Coolers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I'm planning to delete the stock oil cooler when I get my Aluminator installed so I need a larger air-oil cooler. I ran a smaller Setrab with the stock cooler. The recommendation for a stand-alone Setrab is the 948. I've been looking at Improved Racing's website and their MHX line. They have two and three pass coolers that look pretty solid. Has anyone looked at these units or installed them? Thoughts?

Here is the unit I was thinking about. Supports 600HP.

I'm planning to delete the stock oil cooler when I get my Aluminator installed so I need a larger air-oil cooler. I ran a smaller Setrab with the stock cooler. The recommendation for a stand-alone Setrab is the 948. I've been looking at Improved Racing's website and their MHX line. They have two and three pass coolers that look pretty solid. Has anyone looked at these units or installed them? Thoughts?

Here is the unit I was thinking about. Supports 600HP.

Installed that one last summer on my 2014. Also removed factory coolant-oil-cooler and installed a Fluidyne radiator with gt500 fan. Oil pressure at idle is lower (when warm), but remains at 100 psi when RPMs are up.

Currently running 10AN line. Thinking about switching to12AN lines and fittings, but not sure (I guess I need to do more reading).

1641950553875.png

After looking over @Fabman many pages of great information (thank you Sal) -- we modified the mount we had created for my prior oil cooler.
This MHX-530 cooler is huge compared to my last one. It now sits lower a closer to the AC condenser. The mount itself bolts between front frame rails just behind the bumper. I haven't created any ducting but that is on my list todo.
1641953175933.png

Thus far the MHX-530 has worked great!

@trmkars thanks for this information. I will have a very similar setup with a Kenny Brown triple pass radiator, GT500 fan and the cooler with -10AN lines. The issue I have is mounting the MHX. I have one of the @06mach1 Setrab brackets that made it super simple to mount. The 948 would bolt right up. I was thinking of using the Setrab bracket and just attaching the MHX the same way. I like where you mounted your cooler down low but without something fabricated I can't do that.......at least I don't think so but I may try to make something.

I looked into these as well. Decided to go 948 though since pressure drop is published on the Setrabs and ports can be configured with -12 fittings. If they made it to accept -12 fittings I prob would have bought it. They look really nice.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
I’m re-doing my oil cooler right now as well, and the debate on which way the fittings should face is reminiscent of which motor oil to run; lots of different opinions. It appears that fittings on the bottom is common though, and the Mishimoto cooler that I’m replacing was oriented that way for the last few years.

I bought a bracket here on TMO made by @06mach1 , which hangs the Setrab 9 series from the radiator core with the fittings at the bottom. I think there’s a lot of guys on here that have been running this setup for a few years now. I am working on a supplemental bracket that secures the 2 bottom tabs of the cooler - the 948 is so big and heavy I just feel it needs the additional support.

Here’s a pic from Watson Racing’s site - this race car has a smaller 9 series cooler mounted with lines to the bottom.

1791B04F-9B31-4EA6-8572-356702DE6DE2.jpeg

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
I’m re-doing my oil cooler right now as well, and the debate on which way the fittings should face is reminiscent of which motor oil to run; lots of different opinions. It appears that fittings on the bottom is common though, and the Mishimoto cooler that I’m replacing was oriented that way for the last few years.

I bought a bracket here on TMO made by @06mach1 , which hangs the Setrab 9 series from the radiator core with the fittings at the bottom. I think there’s a lot of guys on here that have been running this setup for a few years now. I am working on a supplemental bracket that secures the 2 bottom tabs of the cooler - the 948 is so big and heavy I just feel it needs the additional support.

Here’s a pic from Watson Racing’s site - this race car has a smaller 9 series cooler mounted with lines to the bottom.

View attachment 71799
That would be a 2013 302S; for the 2014 302S, Watson enlarged the cooler, added a trans cooler, and mounted them both sideways, back-to-back (ports facing opposite sides of the car).

The cooler I'm replacing is a smaller Setrab and it's mounted with the fittings on the bottom. Three years and it worked perfectly.

I am working on a supplemental bracket that secures the 2 bottom tabs of the cooler - the 948 is so big and heavy I just feel it needs the additional support.
I took some 1" aluminum from the Home Depot bin and cut two pieces that ran from the bottom cooler ears to the stock bumper. The cooler was rock solid.

Mount it with fittings at the top or side. I read if on they are at the bottom air can get trapped in the top of the cooler.
The air in the cooler will purge even if the fittings are on the bottom. Oil gets pushed into the tank on the side, fills the tank then goes thru the core to the opposite tank pushing the air out. Just want to prime the oil system before starting the engine which can take some time cranking the engine over.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Philly Metro Area
@docs302 are you planning to install your new assembled engine yourself or by your tuner?

If you're doing it yourself then just cranking the engine may not be good. But it's probably ok if just replacing an oil cooler.

For a new/dry engine I've heard that a modified garden sprayer is the safest way:

Chris, I'm going to attach the heads, oil pan and timing gear. I'll bring that to Adam at Rev Auto and he can do the rest. I considered bolting the motor in but for the sake of time I'll let a pro do it.

@docs302 are you planning to install your new assembled engine yourself or by your tuner?

If you're doing it yourself then just cranking the engine may not be good. But it's probably ok if just replacing an oil cooler.

For a new/dry engine I've heard that a modified garden sprayer is the safest way:

Get the Ford Performance Aluminator instructions, they discuss priming the engine With oil. Basically, you attach a pressurized oil source to the oil temp sensor port on the oil adapter at the front passenger side of the engine. Run at least five quarts through the system.

I know this is a cooler thread, but I assume this is for your new engine. After the engine is installed and primed, hold the pedal to the floor and crank until you see oil pressure.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Mount it with fittings at the top or side. I read if on they are at the bottom air can get trapped in the top of the cooler.
False. So false, it’s not funny.

The main reason to have the ports on the bottom side and high is that in certain oil system failure modes, this arrangement still has the potential (literally - potential energy) to continue to somewhat passively feed oil to the engine.
Mounted low and/or with the ports facing up, there will be no such flow. Especially once any air gets in the system and fills the top row.

TMO Supporting Vendors