The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Michelin pilot super sport vs Pzero

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hi,

Anybody tried the Michelin Pilot Super Sports on track? If so, how were they compared to the OEM Pirellis?

/Swede

cosm3os said:
Can't be worse.
QFT

Coming from a novice I've used the following street tires on my Boss and I like the PSS the best on track although the Hankook's might be a touch stickier. All used with P springs and modest suspension upgrades.

Stock Pirelli P Zero 255/40/19 and 285/35/19 - They wear well, traction is a C.
Toyo Proxes Ones 255/40/19 and 285/35/19 - Didn't seem to be any better than the stock tires, traction is a C.
Hankook RS3's - nice and sticky and wear well but release abruptly, traction is a B.
Michelin PSS 265/35/19 and 295/30/19 - Almost as sticky as the Hankook's but release much smoother, traction is a B. These are awesome on the street too and supposed to be a great rain tire.

I've also used Nitto R comp tires, which are DOT approved, and both release smoothly with plenty of notice:
Nitto 555 RII 285/35/18 and 305/35/18 - Awesome tire but doesn't wear as well as the true street tires. Traction is an A.
Nitto NT01 275/40/18 and 305/35/18 - More Awesome, traction is an A. While the front tire is a bit narrower than the 555 the car feels more balanced and they could be a touch stickier. This tire is almost a slick and I'd be careful in the rain.

The R comps make the car feel completely different. I wish I had a tow vehicle so I could run slicks or Hoosiers.

Oh and don't forget the BFG Rival which I haven't used.

Re: Michelin pilot super sport vs Pzero

Wow, that was some rubber shed! :-D

I am trying to decide if I should buy the PSS or go for the PS Cup 2.

PSC2 are 40% more expensive but will give me that extra edge on track. The PSS might be good enough... PSC2 is said to be a poor rain tyre while the PSS is really good. The big question is whether the PSC2 will last the entire year and work for DD as well.

I daily drive about 4000 miles per year and plan to do four to five track days.

Nitto's aren't available in Europe unfortunately.

Just bought a set of track shoes that happened to have a good set of 285 Conti DW on them. Heard good things about them too as a street tire. Once they wear out, I'll be back on slicks.

Thanks. My brain tells me to go for the PSS but the little track devil keeps nagging that there are seconds to be saved and more scalps to be taken...
I'll just have to see which side wins.

I run PSS in the wet, on the road, and when temps are less than 45 or so. Great tire, and lasts a long time compared to R Comps or Slicks. Nitto NT01's (R Comp) are faster in the dry, but only last 20+ heat cycles after which the PSS are as fast. The NT555RII's were a little slower than the NT01's but very similar, and are now discontinued. The quickest tire I've run is the Hossier R6. More $ than the NT01's, last less cycles, but quick :)

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
TheSwede said:
Anybody tried the Michelin Pilot Super Sports on track? If so, how were they compared to the OEM Pirellis?

Super Sports are way better in the wet. I think the dry lateral traction is a bit less. Dry forward traction is definitely less.

They seem to like a lot of pressure and mounting on the widest rims possible for the tire, IMO for the soft sidewall. Ford's wheel width selection and the 'stretched' fitment for the GT350 seem to support my findings.

Grant 302

Black Boss said:
I run PSS in the wet, on the road, and when temps are less than 45 or so. Great tire, and lasts a long time compared to R Comps or Slicks.

+1
Forgot to mention that they're decent when cold out. I've used them near freezing for the 1st session of the day.

I have 7 days on this set and the rear 295s are less than half worn and the 265 fronts have maybe 1/3 left. I get 5-6 days use out of Hankook R-S3s for comparison.

Re: Michelin pilot super sport vs Pzero

Guys, thanks for the info. Just what I needed to be able to choose. I will go for the PSS, seems they handle cold and wet much better and they will likely last longer.

/Swede

On my stock 302,the P-Zero's were pretty decent at the beginning, but after year one, which included 4 autocrosses and 4-5 track days, they seemed to heat-cycle out and grip seemed to be less in year 2 and pretty darn greasy in year 3. The plan was to replace them with BFG Rivals, but they weren't available in stock size until very late last summer so I went with the Michelin Pilot SS. Of course the Rivals became available 4 weeks after I had the PSS installed.

My impression-The Michelin PSS is a very good overall tire that is good on the street, autocross, and track day applications. Not the fastest track day tire, but good all around performance. For my next set, I will do some serious research on the BFG Rival and see how they do on our big heavy cars.

Jeff

Grant 302

Luckymotorsports said:
On my stock 302,the P-Zero's were pretty decent at the beginning, but after year one, which included 4 autocrosses and 4-5 track days, they seemed to heat-cycle out and grip seemed to be less in year 2 and pretty darn greasy in year 3. The plan was to replace them with BFG Rivals, but they weren't available in stock size until very late last summer so I went with the Michelin Pilot SS. Of course the Rivals became available 4 weeks after I had the PSS installed.

My impression-The Michelin PSS is a very good overall tire that is good on the street, autocross, and track day applications. Not the fastest track day tire, but good all around performance. For my next set, I will do some serious research on the BFG Rival and see how they do on our big heavy cars.

Jeff

I wish I knew how the Rivals perform...and I have a used set in storage. ::) Just got greedy for grip and got some takeoff slicks instead. :D

But from what I gather they do okay for our cars, but there aren't a lot of people running them around here or at least that I've heard lately.

Grant 302 said:
I wish I knew how the Rivals perform...and I have a used set in storage. ::) Just got greedy for grip and got some takeoff slicks instead. :D

But from what I gather they do okay for our cars, but there aren't a lot of people running them around here or at least that I've heard lately.

I run the Rivals in 18" staggered 275/295 as I couldn't get in the Nitto's NT's due to backorder. So the Rivals, first thing is they have a wear rating of 200 - so they are not a R compound tire. They are fairly grippy and wear very well -read 200 treadwear - they really are an Autocross tire and I think they would do great in that tire class. They hold up well in the rain, they have a big block tread pattern and decent wet grip. On the track they heat cycle well with no big loss in grip, at least not yet - I have roughly 30 cycles (six track days) with one side to side rotation (non-directional tread) and they are holding up great. They have some really stiff sidewalls similar to a RA1 and you can lean on them pretty hard and trust the slip. Wearing too damn good as I want to get the Nitto's now that they're back in stock and these still have too much left in them to toss them.

So they are a good/fun all around performance tire, but there are better dedicated track tires if that's your plan. For me I have 18's for the track and next time it will be R comps only - Nitto's or possibly the Pirelli Trofeo R, maybe two more weekends and I'll be in the market.

2012Boss302 said:
Keeping the "street" tire comparison going, how do the Michelin PSS and the Sport Cup 2 stack up.

Answer this knowing I'm a track noob and that the car is driven "spiritedly" on the street.

For "spirited street" I would go with the PSS over the Sport Cup 2 - the Cup's would be wasted$$ if they're not on the track imo. I think the hot ticket for your type of driving would be the Pirelli Trofeo available in19's and similar money "a lot" as the Cup's - great grip and great wear and do well on heavier cars like ours. A long time friend owns 5 or so tire stores out here and supplied the Mustang class at the SCCA runoff's this year at Laguna - He says they are the best track/street tire available - probably my next set.

I'm running the MPSS on my boss and I love em, SOOO much nicer than the OEM pirellis (non LS). I don't track my car, and can attest that on the street, even in weather in the mid 40's they perform very well and very predictably. The car's back side feels much more under control with less snap than before. In the rain, they're very nice as well, where the OEM's were unpredictable at best (at least IMO).

There's a $70 rebate on these currently through Michelin too I believe which helps cut the cost a little.

I ended up buying the MPSS instead of MPS Cup 2. The future will tell if the car will be faster on the PSS than on the Zeros :) First track day is in April.

Thanks for the help!

/Swede

TheSwede said:
I ended up buying the MPSS instead of MPS Cup 2. The future will tell if the car will be faster on the PSS than on the Zeros :) First track day is in April.

Thanks for the help!

/Swede

Very interested to hear your report after your April track day. I'm considering the MPSS as well.

TMO Supporting Vendors