The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Michelin PSS vs PS2 vs PS3

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drano38

Wayne
Almost hate to start another tire thread, but I will.

Local Ford dealer has buy 3 get one free ending next weekend.
I know PSS work well for many who have used them.
Anyone have experience with PS2 or PS3? Search came up with little on PS2, nothing on PS3.
These would be dedicated track tires, since I trailer to the track. 295/18, or 285/18 sizes.
The sale makes the higher priced PS2 a good buy if they are better than the PSS.

I know nothing about the PS3 but the PSS were a newer and better tire than the PS2. For street wear track tires I'd look at the BFG Rival. Remember Michelin owns BFG and think they are sharing technology. I like the PSS better than the Hankook RS3.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
NFSBOSS said:
I know nothing about the PS3 but the PSS were a newer and better tire than the PS2. For street wear track tires I'd look at the BFG Rival. Remember Michelin owns BFG and think they are sharing technology. I like the PSS better than the Hankook RS3.

PS3 are the Euro PSS.

I've gone a tick faster on 265/285 RS-3s over 265/295 PSS at Streets of Willow and the Auto Club Roval on the P spring setup.

drano38

Wayne
Scrub slicks are cheaper/more grip, but since I only track 2-3 weekends a year, I like street tire feedback at max grip.
Thanks for the model clarifications. Hard to find/keep track of what's newest, and slightly better than others in the same tire category.
I'd like Rivals in 295/35/18 (have one set of 275/18) but they're backordered, and who knows when they'll arrive. If my dealer can get PSS in 295/35/18 for buy 3 get one free, I will most likely pick up a set. That will cause the Rivals to become available the next day. ;)
Then I'll get a set of SVT Drift wheels to mount them.

Grant 302 said:
PS3 are the Euro PSS.

I've gone a tick faster on 265/285 RS-3s over 265/295 PSS at Streets of Willow and the Auto Club Roval on the P spring setup.
No, the PS3 and the PSS are different tires over here in the old world also.

Some reading on PS2, PS3 and PSS:
http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/Michelin-Pilot-Performance-from-track-to-street.htm

I would choose PSS over PS2 any day of the week :)

/Swede

Grant 302

TheSwede said:
No, the PS3 and the PSS are different tires over here in the old world also.

Some reading on PS2, PS3 and PSS:
http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/Michelin-Pilot-Performance-from-track-to-street.htm

I would choose PSS over PS2 any day of the week :)

/Swede

Thanks for the correction. Pretty sure I read that in some US tire review. Maybe they meant A/S 3 since those PS3 pictures look a lot like those.

Grant 302

drano38

Wayne
Dealer couldn't get PSS in 295/35/18 on the sale, so hopefully Rivals will become available before I need another set.
So I asked if they had anything in 275/40/18 to use as DD tires. Nope.
A little disappointed in their buy 3 get 1 free sale--must be set up mainly for common car and pickup tires, not sports car tires.

Does Discount Tire Direct frequently have $70-100 visa cards for a lot of their tires? Bridgestone Potenza RE760 have $100 visa card, and those would make good DD tires. Don't need them for a couple months, but if the $100 visa is infrequent, maybe I'll let them sit in my garage for a while.

drano38 said:
Dealer couldn't get PSS in 295/35/18 on the sale, so hopefully Rivals will become available before I need another set.
So I asked if they had anything in 275/40/18 to use as DD tires. Nope.
A little disappointed in their buy 3 get 1 free sale--must be set up mainly for common car and pickup tires, not sports car tires.

Does Discount Tire Direct frequently have $70-100 visa cards for a lot of their tires? Bridgestone Potenza RE760 have $100 visa card, and those would make good DD tires. Don't need them for a couple months, but if the $100 visa is infrequent, maybe I'll let them sit in my garage for a while.
Wayne, DTD does that a few times a year. Give them a call and see what's up.

TMO Supporting Vendors