The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 Michelin Slicks (315's) - A Match Made in Heaven for the 197

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Ann Arbor, MI
Wow - I've been on Good Year F1 275's street tires since starting this whole track/race car journey so that I could learn to drive (TMO advice). Yesterday, I bumped up to Michelin Slicks 315's.

OH MY GOODNESS!!!

Not only did I reduce my pb by 3 seconds in the first 5 laps, but more importantly the overall feel and drivability was just so cool.

While I don't have experience with other tires, and judging by what more experienced drivers of the site have said, I really believe this car is at its best with this type and width of tire. You really feel like you can reach the potential of the car, it's just great balance and meant to be.

ADVICE: If anyone gets the chance and hasn't had the experience before, try out Wide slicks - imo it's worth setting up your car to do it. I can't say enough about it. Wahoooooo!!!

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Ann Arbor, MI
Used babies, I don't have the dinero for new, but we have a lot of race teams in the area willing to recycle their scrubs for low fees. Way better performance at a low cost for my type of fun. Unless I was trying to win some money, not sure why I'd go another route!

F8F93CAF-4D5F-4417-9A1D-E9C34F0C1560.jpeg

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Ann Arbor, MI
I think I have 25mm spacers for front clearance, works great, just plug and play.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Ann Arbor, MI
I've heard more and more tires are being offered in 19's but slicks are typically 18's. It could open everything up to have a set of 18's and 19's in terms of wheels.

I've heard more and more tires are being offered in 19's but slicks are typically 18's. It could open everything up to have a set of 18's and 19's in terms of wheels.
Apex does not have a set of 18" wheels that will fit the GT350 front caliper. Their website did state that their SM10s 18x11 fit the GT350. After seeing that and that they were on sale I sold a set of 19x11's that I had so I could get those 18's. Sold those last night and was about to submit my order and was second guessing myself on fitment. Sent Apex an email this morning asking about the fitment and they responeded that they do not have any 18s that will fit the GT350 and have since updated the verbage they had on the SM10 18x11s.
1664392340549.png

TMO Supporting Vendors