The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Michelin Tire Tech Presentation by Michelin's Steve Calder for PCA

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

In the V6L
I've been looking for years to get some real information about the best tire pressures and temperatures for MPSC2's. There's a Michelin document that's easy to find for the original Sport Cup tires, but not for the SC2's. Until now...

This popped up in a Google search today: https://www.pca.org/sites/default/files/Michelin-Tire-Technology-Steve-Calder-TTW-2018.pdf

Pages 23-24-25 have the details from Michelin for the MPSC2 in track use. Finally!

The rest of the presentation has a lot of interesting stuff too.

In the V6L
The key data from the presentation reads like this (I removed the non-track stuff and disclaimers):

RECOMMENDED PRESSURE – SPORT CUP 2

TRACK USE – HOT TIRES

• The best operating pressure of MICHELIN PILOT SPORT CUP 2 is between 2.3 bar (33 psi) and 2.7 bar (39 psi) hot, according vehicle model and track where used

TRACK USE – COLD TIRES

• Don’t ever use inflation pressure below 1.9 bar (28 psi) cold and to optimize the track longevity of MICHELIN PILOT SPORT CUP 2, MICHELIN strongly recommends a minimum inflation pressure between 2.0 (29 psi) and 2.4 bar (35 psi)

RECOMMENDED ALIGNMENT – SPORT CUP 2

– Camber : for optimal results on a circuit , the negative camber settings should be between -1.5° & -3° dependent upon the circuit layout and the type of vehicle. NEVER exceed -4° of negative camber

Temperature Targets for Track Use

160 - grip starts to come in

180 - optimal temp for max grip

200 - grip begins to fall off

use a probe thermocouple – non-contact will read inaccurately

Note: for the 2019 MY GT350 and R, Ford's Owner's Supplement says hot tire pressures for track use - 38 PSI front, 36 PSI rear. Consistent with the Michelin recommendations. Much higher than I've been running though - I'll have to try them and see how it drives.

TMO Supporting Vendors